Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 101
05-08-2012, 11:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klytemnestra
Diplomatic approach is the modern way of stating, "you need to learn how to lie to people's faces better."
I would disagree.

A diplomatic approach is getting someone to understand your perspective, you understanding theirs, and coming to some sort of mutual arrangement or agreement. This is why accomplished, skilled diplomats are almost never caught in a lie when they're actually at the table (rather than PR and other publicity statements). Lying is counterproductive.

It's intentionally avoiding inflammatory statements while retaining the meaning. Saying that 'I disagree' comes off as much more diplomatic and much less hurtful than 'you're wrong' even though they can sometimes mean the same thing.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 102
05-09-2012, 07:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klytemnestra
I do notice in your critique that you too have only complained that "you cannot be your character in the play." You never mention anything about the story itself. However if you comment is true then what would be different if your character would be in the story.

You suggest if we cut your character in the part then all of a sudden it is a great story. It doesn't work that way. I'm sorry the role calls for a young Vulcan female lead who is pregnant.

We are not sacrificing good storytelling to fit any players ego. My ego doesn't count because I am not an actor in the show...I am the producer. We are boldly going where no Foundry author has gone before.
I never complained that I can not be my character in the play. Quite the opposite in fact. I am perfectly fine playing a character that is not of my own fashioning, it is one of the things that caught my attention with this particular story. I only stated that with an on stage representation of the character that I am supposed to be portraying, it becomes confusing.

I did in fact comment on the story, saying that it needed to be further fleshed out, but that I expected future installments would accomplish this.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
Welcome to a new way of playing Star Trek Online. Call of Cthulhu breaks away from cookie cutter or one size fits all scenarios and drops the player into a true story.

So far...

The first part introduces the player or players to the cast and brings the player up to speed with the background of Call of Cthulhu.

Part 2 (in production) takes the players to a remote part of the Planet Vulcan to explore a new island.

Be warned, the story is designed for the player to take on multiple roles and multiple view points in the show. It is not a story for the run and gun first-person-shooter style of play. The story is much slower with detail.

Have fun and Enjoy!

Thank you
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 104 Well that is good, but...
05-09-2012, 03:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by stargate525 View Post
I would disagree.

A diplomatic approach is getting someone to understand your perspective, you understanding theirs, and coming to some sort of mutual arrangement or agreement. This is why accomplished, skilled diplomats are almost never caught in a lie when they're actually at the table (rather than PR and other publicity statements). Lying is counterproductive.

It's intentionally avoiding inflammatory statements while retaining the meaning. Saying that 'I disagree' comes off as much more diplomatic and much less hurtful than 'you're wrong' even though they can sometimes mean the same thing.
Well that is good, but this is not a situation where a mutual understanding needs to occur. The situation here is you are in the "we want to play a story where our character is the hero of the story" and we are in the "we want the characters in the story to be designed for that story."

Because we produced our own story, our view point is going to prevail and it does not matter how persuasive you want to be.

There is no need for diplomacy. We are not envoys from two different countries deciding how to get along. We are two different authors telling each other what we like. And on my show, my word is final. You are welcome to come on stage and give suggestions for our stories, but unless they are of the "Kaliena is the main character in Call of Cthulhu" any statement that tries to move us in a direction to make a cookie cutter story where one size fits all, you need to be prepared to hear or read the words "NO."

This is not a diplomatic moment.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 105 Okay..I see...
05-09-2012, 03:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan_Kross View Post
I never complained that I can not be my character in the play. Quite the opposite in fact. I am perfectly fine playing a character that is not of my own fashioning, it is one of the things that caught my attention with this particular story. I only stated that with an on stage representation of the character that I am supposed to be portraying, it becomes confusing.

I did in fact comment on the story, saying that it needed to be further fleshed out, but that I expected future installments would accomplish this.
Your comment was a good one. We addressed the issue of Kaliena on stage in production. In the second part, when the story starts to shift points of view to other characters in the play having the actor on stage with the role-player seems to help the role players read their dialog.

On stage when we play, we have 5 people reading the parts out loud, the people seem to help the players know where to hit their marks. If you only play the story as one player, you may not see this phenomenon, but when 5 people start competing for dialog time and knowing where to stage themselves seems helpful.

In the next part when dice rolling takes on a larger importance, I think the staging will help direct the action.

I am not sure what I wrote here is on point. I have spent all afternoon writing and working out dialog sequences on the Foundry. I tend to get confused allot when responding to questions here.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 106
05-11-2012, 09:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klytemnestra
If you are not interested, then why post that here?

It seems strange to post a message to a article about a story written for a specific audience that you do not care to play. The purpose of the article is that it is a press release to the wider audience that is looking to play these types of stories. The press release is to inform people of the nature of the story so they do not waste their time playing a story that does not fit within their Foundry story preference.
To the contrary oh ego-centric one, I AM a big fan of H.P. Lovecraft and its obvious that I took the time to read the thread (hence why I was compelled to post a comment). I think the biggest turn off has become your attitude toward anyone that doesn't toss laurels at your feet and tell you how wonderful your are. Before your passive/aggressive response...my only criticism was that I couldn't play "myself" in the story, I reconsidered my stance and was going to try it anyway to give it a chance. You have become the biggest turn off, my greatest criticism and why I will not even try it now.

Enjoy your self glorification...you clearly need it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klytemnestra
"This is not a diplomatic moment"
Then why bother responding to criticisms...so much fail. roflmao

"Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn"
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:10 PM.