Go Back   Star Trek Online > Information and Discussion > Ten Forward
Login

Lt. Commander
# 21
05-08-2012, 07:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas45 View Post
Well all I can to point too right now is what has been released this year...

Oh and Season 6 coming in just over a month. If you want to have your 4 riders of the Apocalypse party then at least wait until the 'actual' content update you've been waiting for, comes out.
Err, I'm not waiting for Season 6 tbh. Not much in there that's going to entice me back to play.

Fleet SB? More gated content? Playable Romulan faction and ship in a lock box. Oh wait, scratch that one, I think I might have dreamt it

Nope, Season 6 is nothing to shout about and if they do what they normally do, it will come out piecemeal with the "season 6 stretches right up to season 7 so we didn't say it would be out all at once" same old, same old.

I have been bitten way too many times to get excited about a season updated. Whats to say this will be different? Past history is on my side to say that it will be buggy, not fully finished and will have to have some C-Store or Lock box angle on it.

The only fun thing about STO, is the forums. This is the real game tbh. Great and fun PVP
Lt. Commander
# 22
05-08-2012, 07:45 AM
At the end of the day, I just want new exciting content to play. All these cool ships, costumes, etc and nothing to do with them except the same old content we've had for two years.

Honestly, this is like a single player game. How often do you find yourself going back to play your single player titles?
Lt. Commander
# 23
05-08-2012, 08:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprint01
Honestly, this is like a single player game. How often do you find yourself going back to play your single player titles?
Every 20 DuOff assignments or so... Why?
Lt. Commander
# 24
05-09-2012, 06:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solomace View Post
My sources are from Dan himself on various threads. He may not have said that they are not going to do any more F/E or that they are stopping doing the KDF faction, however if you read what he says, it's pretty much that they are stopping both simply because they have to look at getting more content out that is cheaper.

As to ship prices, well just look at the C-Store.
Dan never said that, people replying to his posts did. I'd like to know exactly where he said KDF and F/E's are dead. "Evaluating" and "killing" are two different things. One is determining if it is profitable, the other is saying it isn't. Business success is about constantly making yourself leaner and trimming off things that aren't working.

There has been a C-store ship selling for 2000 CP since the release of Galaxy X on C-store. The price of ships has nothing to do with FTP, it has to do with market value of the item. Looking at the number of Atrox ships I see in game the ship are obviously priced right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solomace View Post
It must be even worse than I thought, after one of Cryptics biggest fans has actually started to question whats going on -
http://massively.joystiq.com/2012/05...-gates-frustr/
Thanks for the read.
Lt. Commander
# 25
05-09-2012, 07:22 AM
I am not completely sure what the point of this thread is, other than to speculate on the demise of MMO's generally.

The economy is still in rough shape, and with trouble in Europe coupled with the still existing US debt issues, not likely getting much better any time soon.

Subs didn't work as a revenue stream, so if F2P fails, it is not like there is anything else to fall back on.

As others have said, though, the gamble of F2P is that there are enough people using the store to sustain the system. That requires there be enough in the store to be worth buying on an ongoing basis. That is my only real concern as to the STO business model. Of course they are re-evaluating FE's. They have to. They are (so far) provided as free content.

Free content only exists as advertising for paid content. If there isn't enough paid content, or you give too much away for free, your business plan will fail.
Lt. Commander
# 26
05-09-2012, 07:37 AM
I must say I agree with most things that were said. I started playing STO in February of this year and I've already gotten over much of what the game has to offer. I'm a life-long fan of trek; I want to play and support this game.

However, here are my thoughts on recent events and end game content:

I have no interest in the Vault because of the schedule and the extra grind for rewards that make me go "meh."

I never bother with clusters, doff missions offer more rewards.

I keep doing STFs mostly just to meet my all XII gear goal but I'm nearly done with that too.

Replaying missions that I've only done once is out of the question. What's that Cryptic? You say I can play the same missions over again for another unnecessary currency or more mediocre rewards? Let me get on that space combat, ground combat, space combat; wash, rinse, repeat monotony... No thanks.

Lobi crystals, who cares! Lock boxes, space 'em! $20+ ships which are marginally better than free counterparts, not worth any working person's money!

I'm not above buying useless crap. I play Magic the Gathering for crying out loud. But Wizards of the Coast has it right, entice people like me who like their game to buy the occasional $3 pack. I can justify a few dollars here and there but if it's $20+ I better be eating steak or at a bar.
Lt. Commander
# 27
05-09-2012, 08:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobayashi Maru
Dan never said that, people replying to his posts did. I'd like to know exactly where he said KDF and F/E's are dead. "Evaluating" and "killing" are two different things. One is determining if it is profitable, the other is saying it isn't. Business success is about constantly making yourself leaner and trimming off things that aren't working.

There has been a C-store ship selling for 2000 CP since the release of Galaxy X on C-store. The price of ships has nothing to do with FTP, it has to do with market value of the item. Looking at the number of Atrox ships I see in game the ship are obviously priced right.

Thanks for the read.
/Sigh.

If you say so. If you cannot read between the lines, then I cannot help you. Even the staunches Cryptic fans are starting to get worried and are questioning Cryptic (see below).

Glad you enjoyed the read. Others did too form what I am reading in the discussion part of the forum.

http://forums.startrekonline.com/sho...d.php?t=269771