Lt. Commander
# 11
05-10-2012, 02:45 AM
Actually making new content is expensive. You have writers, 3d/2d artists, programers, testers, compilers, editors, quality assurance...ect.

Add up the man hours of 100 person staff just as a fake figure and and average wage of $20 per hour for 8 hours a day (some of these guys put in waaaay more).

Say they work 20 days out of the month (due to weekends)

$320,000.00 per month

These guys aren't big wig publishers like EA.

Lt. Commander
# 12
05-10-2012, 02:53 AM
Ya'll have got to be kidding me

Sit back and think about this for a moment: If the Devs actually tried to get all of the extremely outrageous, idiotic and frankly unneeded wants into STO, then they would get no work done at all. Take for example the thing that's apparently the next season, Fleet Starbases. You all wanted it (particularly the tyrants that love to micromanage fleets) and the Devs are working on that... but guess what that prevents them from working on... new 'content'.

Frankly it's the player community's own fault that the Devs don't push out new content. You all wanted the Foundrey, the Devs made that a priority, you all wanted Sector Space to look 'like space', they made it a priority, you wanted to do something with the ships crew that weren't your bridge offices... just look at how long it took for the Doff System to come along in relation to what features did not make it into game.

And you know what's really making me laugh: the lot of you whining about 'no new content' are the same ones whining about the allegedly broken PVP system. What are you all going to do if the Devs turn their full attention onto that and 'no new content' comes along.

I know the answer, you're gonna kick, scream cry whine and moan about it, and then when you get it, you'll find something else to complain about. :p
Lt. Commander
# 13
05-10-2012, 07:04 AM
Well, the creation of Fleet Starbases is going to provide a ton of content (according to the DEV's). But the fact that some of the updates is gated is very frustrating.

Support the movement for NO MORE gated content please. :-)
Lt. Commander
# 14
05-10-2012, 07:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by FredCasden

Sit back and think about this for a moment: If the Devs actually tried to get all of the extremely outrageous, idiotic and frankly unneeded wants into STO, then they would get no work done at all. Take for example the thing that's apparently the next season, Fleet Starbases. You all wanted it (particularly the tyrants that love to micromanage fleets) and the Devs are working on that... but guess what that prevents them from working on... new 'content'.

Frankly it's the player community's own fault that the Devs don't push out new content. You all wanted the Foundrey, the Devs made that a priority, you all wanted Sector Space to look 'like space', they made it a priority, you wanted to do something with the ships crew that weren't your bridge offices... just look at how long it took for the Doff System to come along in relation to what features did not make it into game.

And you know what's really making me laugh: the lot of you whining about 'no new content' are the same ones whining about the allegedly broken PVP system. What are you all going to do if the Devs turn their full attention onto that and 'no new content' comes along.

I know the answer, you're gonna kick, scream cry whine and moan about it, and then when you get it, you'll find something else to complain about. :p
It's true. Players have asked for a lot of features and those things HAVE eaten a certain amount of Dev time.

It's also true that story content is not terribly cost-effective. It's true that players can consume story content way faster than the developer can make it. It's also true that only the developer can add features to the software and they need to spend time doing that.

But it doesn't mean that story content is not necessary. A priority, even. Without some kind of fresh story content they can't maintain a player base indefinitely.

So, where does that leave Cryptic? They've got to fill the dead space with monetized shinies to keep the lights on. Then they release something like an FE or a new STF and draw the old players back in for a little while. That's got to be the short-term plan at least.

Will the long term get any better? Well, we'll have to see. Certainly the game desperately needs some systems overhauled: Fleets, Foundry, PvP, Crafting, Exploration. Until some of that stuff happens, they're going to be thin on story.

Despite what's been said about FE's going away, I suspect Cryptic will learn the hard way that they need to put out 1 a year, minimum.
Lt. Commander
# 15
05-10-2012, 07:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by FredCasden

Star Trek: Original unpleasable fanbase