Lt. Commander
# 21
05-10-2012, 06:47 AM
Or, you can do the following: Make some alterations to the autopilot, including adding a calculation which calculates how soon will a ship reach a system on say, warp 5. Then put a console (or invisible interactible) on the bridge which brings up a more detailed version of the Galactic Map, displaying all the 'landmarks' on the map.

Alternatively, the console could display a sector block of your choosing, once again displaying the same 'landmarks' you would normally see in Sector Space. In either option, you would set waypoints of your choosing using said landmarks - you could plot a course to a system, a sector block edge, or exploration cluster. Furthermore, since the implementation of the system requires the game to know at every second where it is, I think you could also make a few more functions (optional):
  • Enter systems through this function, also allowing you to change from bridge to a normal view (appearing at warp-in point as a result)
  • Beam to any area within the entered system (requires previous function)
  • Beam to another player's ship while your own ship continues navigating (may require the first function, but i'm not sure))

Note that the actual detection of where the ship is is quite obviously a lot simpler than the OP, as it doesn't place exact X,Y,Z coordinates but rather estimated coordinates like the log-in system does, and prefers to know the following two factors: Which waypoint was last reached, and how much time did the plotted course take at the speed you set. I do however agree with the idea of changing the viewscreen and windows so that they actually display something OTHER than black space (and in the Odyssey's beautiful case, the ship hull) when you're moving.
Lt. Commander
# 22
05-10-2012, 06:49 AM
I didn't, and if you'd bothered to read my posts you'd notice that I addressed those concerns. And no offense, but it's pretty clear that Tumerboy didn't bother to read my post all the way through before he started writing his reply, either. It's pretty easy to see that by the structure of his response.

Is common courtesy really so hard?
Lt. Commander
# 23
05-10-2012, 06:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pi-3Orionis
I didn't, and if you'd bothered to read my posts you'd notice that I addressed those concerns. And no offense, but it's pretty clear that Tumerboy didn't bother to read my post all the way through before he started writing his reply, either. It's pretty easy to see that by the structure of his response.

Is common courtesy really so hard?
Okay then, let me do a more detailed read of the wall... (will edit this post with any comments)

1. No, I don't want Sector Space gone. *continues reading*

2. I kinda went along with that part of the suggestion, didn't I?
Lt. Commander
# 24
05-10-2012, 06:53 AM
Oh! Sorry dalolorn, that wasn't a response to what you said, but the post before. I should have used quotes. It sounds like you've actually got some valuable, constructive input on this idea.
Lt. Commander
# 25
05-10-2012, 06:54 AM
I see

Edit: Well yeah, I read Tumerboy's response yesterday, and had the idea above today during school (partly inspired by the greatness of the Odyssey bridge... wish i had it on my free version )

Re-edit: I suppose I should have noticed a error in context while reading that post, too

*tries changing his name to a more proper "DaloLorn" after that edit, and finds that the forum thinks he's not himself and wants him to add himself to his FL*

A BUG IN THE ACCOUNT MANAGEMENT SYSTEM

*has just tried to delete his display name and replace it, but all efforts either have no effect or send him back to the validation page*
Lt. Commander
# 26
05-10-2012, 08:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalolorn
I see
*has just tried to delete his display name and replace it, but all efforts either have no effect or send him back to the validation page*
I'm not in a position to check but I remember seeing a notice when logging in last night (local time) that they were going to do some work on the accounts management system this morning. It might work properly if you try again in a couple of hours or so.
Lt. Commander
# 27
05-10-2012, 08:09 AM
No, I did not read the entire thing through before responding. My taco meat filling has trouble processing and remembering that much text all at once, so I took it in bite sized chunks and replied in line as I read. That doesn't make my reply any less accurate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pi-3Orionis
I'm not exactly getting the impression that people are bothering to read . . . *snip*
1) This is still a TON of new tech, that we don't have.
2) I'm not a business dude, but I know how that works well enough to say, "If we spent the rather sizable amount of time and money and manpower to make this happen, what benefit do we get from it? Are more people going to play our game because of this? Are more people going to subscribe because of this? etc.

The base idea, of a galactic map UI that you pick your destination from, and a counter counts down, and when finished, lets you leave your bridge, to that spot, is reasonable in my view.

Having systems and planets fly past you in real time, through the view screen is not.
Lt. Commander
# 28
05-10-2012, 08:13 AM
Quote:
While on your bridge, as captain of your ship, you get a button in your lower right similar to the ones you get in certain social zones or during the Defera event. Clicking on this will open the dialog prompt for navigation. I picture it having three options for choosing a destination: choosing a destination associated with a current mission in your journal, choosing a location from the list of major hubs in the game (Sol, Qo'nos, DS9, Drozana, etc.) or choosing a location from an organized list of possibilities (Sirius Block -> Vulcan Sector -> Sol). Once your course is set and you engage, reaching your destination is simply a matter of spending time in your interior while the timer runs down.

Choosing your speed/mode of travel has a couple of different options. I'm not sure it matters to give people any option to fly at less than max warp -- there's no reason I can think of off hand as to why it would be useful, so maybe once you engage your ship travels at the max speed appropriate for your rank and Driver Coil skill. Using Transwarp while you're in interior mode would cause a brief exterior effect (visible through viewscreen) then drop you right at your destination (using transwarp in social maps would just have the same effects they already have now, transporter or ship transwarp animation). Slipstream is a bit trickier... I'd actually prefer to see it have a duration as long as one trip from origin to destination at vastly increased speed, but having a much longer cooldown, but it could also be left exactly the way it is and just require you to engage it as you decide as your ship travels in "interior" mode.

Other sector space interactions can be preserved, but instead of, say, seeing a hostile ship warping around near your ship in sector space, you get a popup when your ship travels in range of a moving enemy, giving you the option of ordering your bridge crew to abandon warp travel and intercept. The Azura II and its Klingon equivalent is a bit trickier, but could still work the same way -- summoning them takes you out of warp and spawns them at your current travel coordinates.
a lot of those options could be fixed with a keystroke, say, F8 pulls an LCARS screen on the viewer, or a "tactical" display, something like that where you can make your interactions
Lt. Commander
# 29
05-10-2012, 08:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumerboy View Post
The base idea, of a galactic map UI that you pick your destination from, and a counter counts down, and when finished, lets you leave your bridge, to that spot, is reasonable in my view.

Having systems and planets fly past you in real time, through the view screen is not.
That sounds fair enough. I do recognize that I was proposing something rather ambitious so that there could be a conversation about what the community would still like to see in the game. To be honest, I would be happy with a system that does exactly that, if nothing else. And it does offer the best of both worlds if it coexists with the existing sector space -- players get to choose whichever mode of travel is more appealing to them.

I think some minimal effects on the bridge interior map would be nice, but only affects associated with generic travel, i.e. the sound of the warp engines ramping up and dropping out, a view of warp stars on the main view screen (maybe even through the windows on the other decks, though that may not be feasible), nothing specific to your "galactic" location per se. But that's just asking for icing on the cake

Sector space is very well done, and while I have some issues with some of the quirks of it, I don't feel it needs to be done away with. I love that Cryptic cared about sprucing it up at all, to the current form that it exists now. It's more that I wish there were more moments of immersion that make me feel like I'm the captain on my own starship with a unique crew. Making the rounds on the deck of your ship while you travel to your destination at warp speeds would be one of them (and now that the DOff system is being integrated with interiors, being able to do that actually becomes useful)
Lt. Commander
# 30
05-10-2012, 08:58 AM
I have no idea if this suggestion is possible, but could you use the timer method, have an animation of stars, and the illusion of movement instead of a static viewscreen. Then when the timer is up you warp into the location like you normally would but instead of showing the ship warp in, you instead zoom from the Bridge to the viewscreen itself, and it frames the the location you're arriving at. Thus removing your ship's animation, and replacing it with a frame around the edges of the screen and showing the space map you just arrived at. Once you've warped in it can switch the the ship view we normally have for docking/beaming.