Lt. Commander
# 41
05-09-2012, 02:09 PM
what i am doing is BEATING it but needing 15 seconds to recover first
we do not all have the reflexes of a cat , the internet speed of a kray and the full use of a VA level ship
some of us have Lt slots at best and are still Working our way up
Lt. Commander
# 42
05-09-2012, 02:33 PM
Everyone with the benefit of the VA ships and additional slots got that way fighting these same things. This isn't a game issue. Send me a message in game. I'll be happy to help you out if I'm around.
Lt. Commander
# 43
05-09-2012, 03:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sollvax
what i am doing is BEATING it but needing 15 seconds to recover first
we do not all have the reflexes of a cat , the internet speed of a kray and the full use of a VA level ship
some of us have Lt slots at best and are still Working our way up
Reflexes, you say?
Keybinds, I tell you.

No, really. Click on that link this very second. Read it. Take the time and configure your powers in such way that you can activate them in a sequence with a single button - this is something fundamental that you can, and should, take with you all the way to end game and PVP. The powers that take you five seconds to activate with a mouse take me half a second with a single mashing of the slash key.

Second point...

If the highest level bridge officer station on your ship is a Lieutenant, then you should not be fighting warbirds. The Romulan Front is really only accessible from the rank of Commander - at which point you should have several Lieutenants and Lieutenant Commander options to choose from with your bridge crew. And yes, even at VA, my best tactical officer (on a Cruiser) is still a Lieutenant. But what about your other departments? What about your engineers and science?

You don't need to out-gun something to snuff it with an engineering or science-festooned Jackboot. Try being proactive with your shield healing, and have Emergency Power to Shields up before you even engage. The higher power level (which is tied to damage resistance) will save your bacon. And what about distributing shields? Do you use that?

If you don't know what I'm referring to, then, again - read this thread as well. It remains one of the most comprehensive and helpful guides to shield tanking on this forum. (Thanks MustrumRidcully !)

Third point...

Every rule of play that affects your ship affects the NPCs as well. Want to avoid those nastier powers that keep pasting you when you're in frong of them? Well in some cases, they can only be used against you if you are in front of them. Try approaching the warbird from the sides and work your way to her stern where those debuffs aren't available to it.

If I can destroy a Warbird flying a T2 Constitution for a laugh, you should be able to do it in your T3-T4.
Lt. Commander
# 44
05-09-2012, 03:17 PM
Quote:
And here speaks someone who has NEVER fought a warbird other than on normal difficulty , backed up by a stronger team mate
In elite it is a bit tougher, but a good build can do miracles you know.

I really want a screenshot of the skill pages of those complaining here, for the lulz of it.
Lt. Commander
# 45
05-10-2012, 07:34 AM
Don't think I spotted it on this thread - but one of the most effective ways I've found of dealing with the heavy plasma torps is Eject Warp Plasma - especially if you can dump it on the Warbird initially, the tick is a very high to-hit and pretty much takes care of them. Also the Warbird is immobilised so you can just bear down on 1 shield arc.
So it's just the basic spreads that tend to slam you - which can be mitigated by shield rotations etc & BfI.

Admittedly this tactic hasn't been tried by me at Elite - just Advanced.

Also if caught with no inertia, you can slip out of range quite easily with Evasive Manouvers - wait a few seconds for combat to cease and full impulse in to deliver the EWP.

NB - if you're going to dump the EWP on top of it, you have to approach the flank of the Warbird or the tractor can get you - if not possible just use the plasma like a shield.
Lt. Commander
# 46
05-10-2012, 07:41 AM
this might have been said it may not but i found if you can get in real close when a warbird launches plama torps, and i mean point blank range. The war bird dies in its own plasma torp. you just have to hit full speed and make sure you are clear of the warp core blast. yep you will take damage as the plasma torp hits you but you can heal, he cant because he is dead.
Lt. Commander
# 47
05-10-2012, 07:47 AM
Quote:
The Hirogen have a ship that cloaks as well (so effectively you can only track it with feedback pulses)
not a cloak, it's scramble sensors IIRC.

OP, in addition to all the good advice, don't forget armor. unless you are doing explore the XXX nebula/expanse/whatever, you should know what you are facing weapons wise. you are facing romulans = you are facing plasma. http://www.stowiki.org/Engineering_Consoles get the right armor. the resistance can save your behind if you have to wait for HE to cooldown
Lt. Commander
# 48
05-10-2012, 08:22 AM
the super fire one heavy then three then your screwed you die then by the time you get back damn heald itself

my tip is skip episode come back later when better equiped