Lt. Commander
# 1 Hola! New Captain Checking In
05-10-2012, 12:45 PM
Just wanted to drop in and say hello. I've been a lurker in the forums for a few weeks now while I got a handle on some of the ins-and-outs of the game.

When I first started playing, I began my career as an Engineer, but decided after I hit L17 or so, I would try out a Tactical captain. I've never played an all out DPS type in any MMO, and after doing some research decided a Tactical career would serve my needs. So, here I am.

Right now, I am finishing up the Cardasian campaign, and have to say I am pretty impressed so far. i've picked up the Jem'Hadar *space* (shields/impulse engines/deflector) and *ground* sets (autorifle/armor/shield) yesterday and can't wait to try them out in earnest this week.

I do not have much background in Star Trek past TOS era stuff and playing ADB's SFB from 1985 to 1994. I miss my Kzinti and ISC - but I've read enough about that problem in the forums and recognize the legal issues involved. Whatever. I am liking STO just as it is, with the qualifying statement that I have most likely just scratched the surface and am missing 90% of what veteran players know about the game. I'll pick it up as I read more and play more.

I do most of my playing with my buddy, Alberto Granado, who I've gamed with for nearly a decade in EQ and EQ2 in various hard-core 6-7 night a week raid-oriented guilds and some casual guilds. Here, he is a Tactical Captain flying some sort of cruiser named the Mambo-Tango.

Alberto doesn't have time to research or even attempt to read dialog boxes in the game, so I try to help him out as best I can by steering him toward ship/gear choices and skills that I note other cruiser captains are using. That's my buddy Alberto, though. A good guy, as long as he doesn't have to click through too many dialog boxes. I roll my eyes when he sees a ship blow up and he thinks his silly cobbled together cruiser did anything significant to it. Haha, whatever... he's my buddy though, so I let him have his little DPS dreams.

At any rate, hello! Hope to see you in-game soon. Just don't type anything to Alberto... he won't read it... Heck, he won't even SEE it.
Lt. Commander
# 2
05-10-2012, 01:09 PM
Welcome. Jump in and enjoy the banter. We give each other a little ribbing here and there, and some arguments get a little tense, but in the end, we wrap our arms each other and sing tavern songs while drunkenly muttering, "I love you, man!"