Lt. Commander
First off I donít do the normal STFs that much unless I feel like helping newer STFers, which lately I have been trying to help out as much as possible, or I am leveling a new toon in the STFs. My main Seth an Engineer has both the MACO and Omega Mk XII sets, all the Borg/STF Accolades, and I have worked a very long time and hard to complete both sets. Now I am working on Tactical Officer trying to get her at least up to the Mk XI sets.

Now a little history I know the STFs very well and have been STFing since I first found out what they were, back when STO first launched. I was the Captain over STF division in my former fleet and ran hundreds of people thru the STFs countless times. When the revised STFs came out with new gear I had to have it no matter how long it took to get.

Seeing how they had changed the STFs I decided to work on the normal levels for a little while until I understood them better and which a lot of the veteran STFers were doing as well. As time went on we all started moving up to Elite and loved the increased difficulty and reward. I finally completed both my Mk XII ground sets and decide to start working on my TAC. Again bringing an officer with good gear but not good enough ground Elite STF level gear and didn't want to hinder the elite STFs until at least I had my Mk XI gear and so the grind for the gear had started again.

At first I wanted to play the part of a newb for two reasons. 1.) I have been in the forefront of most of the STFs so I wanted to be the follower for a little while and 2.) Wanted to see how a newb was truly treated by playing the part.

The first IGN run I run off the transporter pad and head to the shield wall, before anyone could set up some one triggers the shield to come down. The STF continues and people are flying right past the Trigger lines and not even trying to save the officers..... Long story short the STF run where I tried to be a newb forced me to speak up and play the role I guess I was meant to play and I tried to lead, but no one would listen or even acknowledge that I was chatting.

I can now somewhat understand why newer STFers leave the normal STFs and move up to the Elite before they are ready and as soon as possible. Little to no one in the Normal level STFs has any idea what they are doing. They donít listen even when you tell them what you doing will get yourself and possible everyone killed; they run around shooting anything that they can target.

As the grind for gear for my TAC continued I finally got a Borg Tech Armor (Thank you almighty thereís 40 STFs out of the way.) All I had been doing is PUGing the Ground STFs, but staying away from the Cure thatís a fricken nightmare on normal PUG. 38 STFs later I have 38 encrypted data chips and 1 rare armor tech. Now if I was running on Elite I would have 76 EDCs and possible some proto type tech as well.

Thatís is one of reasons why people don't want to do the normal STFs or stay on them too long, the increase of EDCs and Proto Type Tech is to inviting to stay on normal for too long even when they are not ready for the Elites they want the increased chance to getting better gear or at least more EDCs per run. It has been extremely difficult stay on normal because of the increased EDCs and better tech Elite STFs hold.

Beside the increased drops and the Elites have a better completion rating than the normal level STFs. Why? Because most not all, but most users on the normal STFs have no idea what they are doing. Moving up to the Elites is basically the only place they can learn from experienced users how the STFs work, besides reading guides which most people donít know how to read the chat so reading a guide is never going to happen for some.

I believe at least an increase in EDCs on normal from a guaranteed one EDC to two EDCs and possibly a random third. On Normal the grind for Mk XI gear is so long and cutting that time in half by doing elites is to inviting to most newer STFers. I believe an increase just in EDCs on normal will help keep newer STFers in normal STFs until they are truly ready for Elite STFs.

If we donít increase the EDCs on normal level STFs, newer STFers are going to continue to come up to Elite STFs, because 1.) increased drop rate and 2.) there is little to no one in the Normal Level STF to lead them and to many that donít know how or donít want to listen. I try to help, but I am only one of few helpers in an ocean of newer STFers.

Most likely an increase in EDCs will not happen so the more we all try to help users on the normal level STFs the better for all.
Lt. Commander
# 2 Normal
05-09-2012, 04:19 PM
You don't need anyone to hold your hand through normal STF's. It spells it out for you b4 you start, not to mention the guides located on the forums.

If people are going right to Elites, it's b/c the rewards are greater, not b/c they enjoy being called a noob when they screw up the optional.
Lt. Commander
# 3
05-09-2012, 04:42 PM
TBH the rewards are not "greater" in elites.

You get an extra EDC (which become useless once you're geared enough to do elites properlly)
You no longer get rare salvages, which are important for freshly level capped players.
You also get a 0.0000000001% chance of a specific prototype piece dropping where the stats are not much better than the Mk XI pieces.

Basically if you want your character to not be useless in group activities, its better(and easier) to do normals first. Elite drops are just carrots on a stick which force skilled players who might have enjoyed the game to eventually just quit it in rage. Terrible move on Cryptic's part.

It doesn't help much when new players who don't belong in elites start flooding their groups under the illusion of "better gear" being rewarded. Especially when the skilled players are already mad enough at the laughable droprates and don't need anything to prolong their already insane grinding.
Lt. Commander
# 4
05-10-2012, 12:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by aresula
TBH the rewards are not "greater" in elites.

You get an extra EDC (which become useless once you're geared enough to do elites properlly)
You no longer get rare salvages, which are important for freshly level capped players.
You also get a 0.0000000001% chance of a specific prototype piece dropping where the stats are not much better than the Mk XI pieces.

Basically if you want your character to not be useless in group activities, its better(and easier) to do normals first. Elite drops are just carrots on a stick which force skilled players who might have enjoyed the game to eventually just quit it in rage. Terrible move on Cryptic's part.

It doesn't help much when new players who don't belong in elites start flooding their groups under the illusion of "better gear" being rewarded. Especially when the skilled players are already mad enough at the laughable droprates and don't need anything to prolong their already insane grinding.
The above post is correct and valid.