Lt. Commander
# 41
05-10-2012, 12:05 PM
Where does the EULA prohibit the depiction of canon characters, anyway? I see this assumption floating around, but upon reading the EULA, I only see the line about depicting the actors, writers, directors, or producers.
Lt. Commander
# 42
05-10-2012, 01:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saerain View Post
Where does the EULA prohibit the depiction of canon characters, anyway? I see this assumption floating around, but upon reading the EULA, I only see the line about depicting the actors, writers, directors, or producers.
As far as I can see, that is the only limitation there. That's exactly why I think my idea of the player "playing" a canon character in a holodeck mission would work. I have no way of changing the player's likeness, so I wouldn't be depicting that canon character visually, and thus would not use any actor's likeness. I would also refrain from having any other canon characters in the mission. Problem solved... probably.
Lt. Commander
# 43
05-13-2012, 01:45 PM
Does this copyright also include characters established in the STO Episode guide? I want to know if I can create a continuation story to one if not more of the episode missions. I want to see do I have to create a character that might closely work with an established character or can I use that established character from the episode guide?
Lt. Commander
# 44
05-14-2012, 07:45 AM
I'm not sure if the above poster is asking the same question (not sure what the STO Episode Guide is), but is it permissible to use original NPCs that appear exclusively in STO in Foundry missions? People like Kurland, Shon, J'Mpok, etc. What about original ships, like the USS Kirk or Enterprise-F? I'd assume yes, but I didn't see it specifically covered. I can understand if Cryptic wants to keep story control of their original content, but my reading of the EULA (lawyer but don't work with contracts) seems to let us use them freely.
Lt. Commander
# 45
05-14-2012, 08:26 AM
I'm just wondering if this thread actaully gets asnwered? I'm almost ready to publish my ep, and questions before mine are still unanswered.
Lt. Commander
# 46
05-14-2012, 02:04 PM
Yes I was referring to the characters in the game itself. As an example say I wanted to use Captain Brott from Stranded in Space as an example not the person I want to use but its my example could I use her or for a mission.
Lt. Commander
# 47
05-15-2012, 06:56 PM
I just want to get this straight...

I can't create, say, a hologram of Benjamin Franklin, as he's an historical person?
Lt. Commander
# 48
05-15-2012, 07:09 PM
If I read the EULA correctly, you could make an NPC called Abraham Lincoln, but he could not look like the late president Abraham Lincoln. You could make him a short, young, Asian person and you'd be fine.

However, I've given up waiting for responses on EULA issues from the devs.
Lt. Commander
# 49
05-16-2012, 06:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by drogyn1701 View Post
If I read the EULA correctly, you could make an NPC called Abraham Lincoln, but he could not look like the late president Abraham Lincoln. You could make him a short, young, Asian person and you'd be fine.

However, I've given up waiting for responses on EULA issues from the devs.
Heh, fair enough on the waiting.

Though, how clase can I get to 'likeness?' I mean, if I'm in fact portraying Bob the Actor (a fake person) who looks like Thomas Jefferson...

Maybe I'll just go the route they did with Hamlet.
Lt. Commander
# 50
05-17-2012, 06:54 AM
After reading all 5 pages, I am leaning towards not bothering to even attempt to write an episode, seems as red tape and Bureaucrat's have ruined a real nice idea,

maybe cryptic ought to contact origional actors and ask for a release to use thier names in contex of the game?