Lt. Commander
# 61
05-09-2012, 02:13 PM
i am much more aggravated at how woefully terrible and hopeless my own pug team mates end up being then at the talent of a few opponents that have a common fleet handle. if i do end up against a premade i make it a point to do something to derail them, even get a kill. even if its 15 to 1 i would consider that a victory and still have fun.
Lt. Commander
# 62
05-10-2012, 07:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aldo-Raine
If I had 10 Cryptic points for everytime I've found a fleet team while I've been pugging that turned down a request for a proper 5v5 after the match I'd almost enough for half a respec token.
I think my biggest problem with pvp is the impossibility of setting up an even match. My friends and I just recently started pvping and our fights tend to go one of two ways: we queue up or do a private match and stomp whatever pug or premade we go up against... Then naturally Pandas hear about our premade (seriously, seems like over half the pvpers in this game are pandas now) and ask for a match. You guys send out the call in your fleet and, big surprise, assemble your A team. So we go up against your best and go like 15-2, having to deal with psw/scramble spam that we're not accustomed to dealing with. Thats not the problem, its a learning experience, you see something new to adapt to and counter and you say gg and move on. My point is that there doesn't seem to be a middle ground. No neck and neck, nail biting matches. You either stomp the clueless or get stomped by the handful of elite pvpers on the server. I don't have a problem getting annihilated repeatedly, but theres a pretty vast skill gap in pvp playerbase and its hard to convince players to keep going when the only avenue of advancement is smashing your face into the top tier repeatedly. People want that match thats even and exciting, a match where the victor is not clear until the last kill... I guess theres just not enough people pvping to make that happen.
Lt. Commander
# 63
05-10-2012, 07:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mondian View Post
I think my biggest problem with pvp is the impossibility of setting up an even match. My friends and I just recently started pvping and our fights tend to go one of two ways: we queue up or do a private match and stomp whatever pug or premade we go up against... Then naturally Pandas hear about our premade (seriously, seems like over half the pvpers in this game are pandas now) and ask for a match. You guys send out the call in your fleet and, big surprise, assemble your A team. So we go up against your best and go like 15-2, having to deal with psw/scramble spam that we're not accustomed to dealing with. Thats not the problem, its a learning experience, you see something new to adapt to and counter and you say gg and move on. My point is that there doesn't seem to be a middle ground. No neck and neck, nail biting matches. You either stomp the clueless or get stomped by the handful of elite pvpers on the server. I don't have a problem getting annihilated repeatedly, but theres a pretty vast skill gap in pvp playerbase and its hard to convince players to keep going when the only avenue of advancement is smashing your face into the top tier repeatedly. People want that match thats even and exciting, a match where the victor is not clear until the last kill... I guess theres just not enough people pvping to make that happen.
Good post.
Lt. Commander
# 64
05-10-2012, 03:02 PM
If people want an even match that they can set up themselves, go pvp in a private in-fleet match.

So mutch Wha here
Lt. Commander
# 65
05-10-2012, 03:26 PM
I said we've tried that too, but so far it's followed much the same formula as queuing up.

The most common reply by far when contacting fleets to set up private matches is "Sorry, not enough pvpers for a team, all we have on is a bunch of STFers that hate pvp." But when you do get a match, more often than not they show up uncoordinated or in PVE builds, leading to a quick victory. The flipside is to the scenario I outlined above... there remains the singular problem of too small a community with a learning curve that discourages most from playing. And don't spout that Panda Cubs bull at me, because every time I've seen that its a team of 4 pandas and the one clueless newbie they're coaching at the moment.

The main player base coasts through PVE content so simple that you can breeze through it in a comatose state and come out at the end wearing Vice Admiral pips. Armed with this false sense of accomplishment they queue up for pvp and get annihilated, more often than not leading them to drop out of the match immediately, thinking "Screw that!" or "They must be cheating," which is a sentiment I've received a startling amount of times.
Lt. Commander
# 66
05-10-2012, 03:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mondian View Post
I said we've tried that too, but so far it's followed much the same formula as queuing up.

The most common reply by far when contacting fleets to set up private matches is "Sorry, not enough pvpers for a team, all we have on is a bunch of STFers that hate pvp." But when you do get a match, more often than not they show up uncoordinated or in PVE builds, leading to a quick victory. The flipside is to the scenario I outlined above... there remains the singular problem of too small a community with a learning curve that discourages most from playing. And don't spout that Panda Cubs bull at me, because every time I've seen that its a team of 4 pandas and the one clueless newbie they're coaching at the moment.

The main player base coasts through PVE content so simple that you can breeze through it in a comatose state and come out at the end wearing Vice Admiral pips. Armed with this false sense of accomplishment they queue up for pvp and get annihilated, more often than not leading them to drop out of the match immediately, thinking "Screw that!" or "They must be cheating," which is a sentiment I've received a startling amount of times.
This very clearly describes my own experience.

PvP should be more accessible and encouraged in the lower tiers.

Where I disagree is on the topic of the Cubs. I and many other new PvP'ers are still playing and enjoying PvP because of the Cubs. Every fleet should participate in the Cubs, or even begin their own recruiting/training fleets so that true Cub teams can roll against other, similarly skilled trainee teams.

I for one would love to see any fleet challenge a pure Cub team. If we get rolled, we learn and grow. If we roll them, they can join us int he channel to discuss what went wrong.

The idea is to get more players interested in PvP, something difficult to do with broken game mechanics and OP spam drops, but at least the Sad Pandas are trying. Please try to help, if not in the Cubs, then in your own fleet's training efforts. More players can equal more balanced play, but we need many more players.
Lt. Commander
# 67
05-10-2012, 05:09 PM
No, I acknowledge that they are performing a laudable service for the pvp community, what I mean to say is that I haven't seen it produce any viable results in the form of intermediately skilled premades yet. I generally see a team of 4 pandas coaching one cub, so if you roll up against this team, your best hope for victory is to farm their newbie for kills, which is a pretty harsh sentence for their protegee.

Regardless, at least we agree on the lack of accessibility.
Lt. Commander
# 68
05-10-2012, 08:03 PM
Sry I meant setting them up within one own's fleet as opposed to outside that fleet. Then you have a completly sterile environment within your control