Lt. Commander
# 41
05-10-2012, 05:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathan99
It's not like Golds don't buy on the C-Store too.

But one of the few promises a Cryptic employee ever outright made was that if the game went to F2P, nothing would change for golds from how it was before aside from getting a stipend. And that's been the source of a lot of the "entitlement."
I hope you're not saying that the silver bashing is justified....??
Lt. Commander
# 42
05-10-2012, 07:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnhawk
I hope you're not saying that the silver bashing is justified....??
Silver bashing? No.

Entitlement? Eh. Yes.

It's not Silver bashing for Golds to want more than Silvers get.
Lt. Commander
# 43
05-10-2012, 07:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake477
- Are you getting what you paid for?
Yes. Otherwise, I'd stop. =) (I'm a lifer, but I throw a few dollars at C-points every month).

Quote:
- Do they deserve praise in the form of a Facebook "Like" regardless of the C-Points?
I think it's a great game, and I go out of my way to tell people so when I feel it's appropriate. I don't really invest any emotional gravitas in Facebook, so I can't really weigh in on that. (Although I did "Like" to get my name in the drawing. =)

Quote:
- Are the Developers truthful in what they tell us through the different media in the Community?
They seem to consistently represent the truth as they understand it; I don't know of them to have ever said anything that wasn't the truth as they understood it at the time.

Quote:
- Would you rather see other people in charge than what you have now if so who?
No opinion here... the current leadership seem to be doing fine. Wish they had more resources to work with, though.

Quote:
- Do you feel you even matter as a customer or a just a walking dollar sign?
I think that Cryptic and the umbrella they fall under make business decisions based on what they think will yield the most profit. Their behavior toward their customers is calculated to optimize that variable.

Just like with every other business in the entire world, big and small.

Quote:
- Do you believe the "reasons" why there's been a delay in player content an excuse or a warranted answer?
I dispute the premise of the question. I think there's plenty to do in the game, and new stuff is being added all the time.

Quote:
- Is this company and this game a lost cause?
The game is fine, I don't know or care about the company beyond what I know from the game.

I am, however, continually amazed at the antics on this forum; it's largely populated by the most entitled, whiny, hypocritical group of children I've ever encountered online or off, and on the Internet that's a pretty high bar.

If the game dies, it's this group of ne'er-do-wells that'll kill it, not Cryptic.
Lt. Commander
# 44
05-10-2012, 09:36 PM
I was a paying player on initial release.

I cancelled my sub way back when because this game isn't Star Trek in any meaningful way.

I came back for F2P because that seemed a fair price for the game. Have not done anything but set doff missions now and then for the past couple of weeks. I'm slowly backing away from the game, for the same reason as the first time.

The lack of Start Trek based content.

I really feel for you folks that actually pay a subscription to play. I feel it isn't worth playing for free, I can't imagine how you lot must feel.

It's a shame really, there was so much promise in the title.

The devs needed a team of good writers with a vision, and a passion for Star Trek. Too bad that never happened.
Lt. Commander
# 45
05-10-2012, 09:47 PM
Quote:
I really want Gold or paying members to read this a consider the following:

- Are you getting what you paid for?

- Do they deserve praise in the form of a Facebook "Like" regardless of the C-Points?

- Are the Developers truthful in what they tell us through the different media in the Community?

- Would you rather see other people in charge than what you have now if so who?

- Do you feel you even matter as a customer or a just a walking dollar sign?

- Do you believe the "reasons" why there's been a delay in player content an excuse or a warranted answer?

- Is this company and this game a lost cause?

If all these are true in your eyes, how do you propose as a paying member to fix this so that the game is more user Consumer friendly, and how do we get the Cryptic's and PWE's attention

I want each person replying to be as honest and blunt as possible and let it out in a collected manner.

Thank you for replying in advance
I would be a gold or lifetime member, but im not. Is it because im cheap...nope I pay for WoW and TOR. I have plenty of disposable income. ATM I have the lifetime fee sitting waiting for me to spend it on STO...but I wont. I don't feel PWE or Cryptic truely care about this game. The updates and little bubble gum missions...aka First Contact Day...Friday 13th ..for examples weren't worth the 20 minutes that it took to make them. Their focus and insight on Star Trek is misguided. They think they know what the player base wants...but they have no clue. I thought Blizzard was bad at putting out content, but STO takes the cake on that one. Cryptic....Dan has promised us many things...only to be later let down with some blah blah blah story on why they failed again.

" I came back to Cryptic/STO to make sure Klingons get the proper attention" ...riiiiight. I suppose with the current trend Romulans will also be a bust...so no point in keeping it secret guys/gal. Cryptic, just come out and say it already,

" We do not plan on putting anything worth anyones time into STO. We would like to thank everyone for falling for our little lockbox joke and for all the money you gave us for nothing. "

As a Star Trek fan for going on 23 years...this game makes me sad and should also make any true fan sad as well. This game had the chance to give TOR a run for its money, but not now....
Lt. Commander
# 46
05-10-2012, 09:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlitzPig_EL View Post
I was a paying player on initial release.

I cancelled my sub way back when because this game isn't Star Trek in any meaningful way.

I came back for F2P because that seemed a fair price for the game. Have not done anything but set doff missions now and then for the past couple of weeks. I'm slowly backing away from the game, for the same reason as the first time.

The lack of Start Trek based content.

I really feel for you folks that actually pay a subscription to play. I feel it isn't worth playing for free, I can't imagine how you lot must feel.

It's a shame really, there was so much promise in the title.
I don't know what you are so upset about. With the exception of lock boxes and gatd events, everything that has shown up in STO since it launched can be tied in some fashion to something the community asked for.
Lt. Commander
# 47
05-11-2012, 11:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathan99
Silver bashing? No.

Entitlement? Eh. Yes.

It's not Silver bashing for Golds to want more than Silvers get.
And I get that. Absolutely there should be things that golds have access to that silvers can't get even if they spend money. My complaint isn't about entitlement. It's directed at those vocal few who would sooner flame a silver than lend a hand figuring things out.
Lt. Commander
# 48
05-11-2012, 12:18 PM
I quit playing video games a long time ago in arcades, but stumbled across STO a few months ago and I'm hooked. I'm not a regular gamer and I play no other games at all. I do not own an x-box, play station or anything like that and I never have.

It is called free to play, but for me it is not. Typically I would not spend money on something like this, but I had to have the Odyssey set, more inventory slots, more ship slots, etc. I feel I get what I pay for and i really enjoy playing the game. I have always been a Star Trek fan since it first came out when i was a kid.

I hear a lot of grumbling, but also see a lot of evidence that people are playing a lot and have played for a long time. I'm pretty happy with this game and it has become my new hobby.

I have done pretty well and already got all the sets, including maco 12. I do have one complaint.....I need more prototype!! I"m greedy.

Basicailly, I think I am getting my money's worth and as long as I enjoy playing, I hope the game is around for a long time.
Lt. Commander
# 49
05-11-2012, 01:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdm1958
I quit playing video games a long time ago in arcades, but stumbled across STO a few months ago and I'm hooked. I'm not a regular gamer and I play no other games at all. I do not own an x-box, play station or anything like that and I never have.

It is called free to play, but for me it is not. Typically I would not spend money on something like this, but I had to have the Odyssey set, more inventory slots, more ship slots, etc. I feel I get what I pay for and i really enjoy playing the game. I have always been a Star Trek fan since it first came out when i was a kid.

I hear a lot of grumbling, but also see a lot of evidence that people are playing a lot and have played for a long time. I'm pretty happy with this game and it has become my new hobby.

I have done pretty well and already got all the sets, including maco 12. I do have one complaint.....I need more prototype!! I"m greedy.

Basicailly, I think I am getting my money's worth and as long as I enjoy playing, I hope the game is around for a long time.
Glad you are enjoying the game. I Honestly think most folks playing don't worry about gated content or lockboxes or what ever flavor of the week rant/issue.

I think most folks playing the game are having fun. But the forum is full of grizzled vets who have spent hundreds of dollars on the game and still don't seem to have any sense of objectivity. That's why any time a dev shows up they get ripped to shreds. And makes me wish there was a bit more constructive dialog going on.
Lt. Commander
# 50
05-11-2012, 02:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingdox View Post
Glad you are enjoying the game. I Honestly think most folks playing don't worry about gated content or lockboxes or what ever flavor of the week rant/issue.

I think most folks playing the game are having fun. But the forum is full of grizzled vets who have spent hundreds of dollars on the game and still don't seem to have any sense of objectivity. That's why any time a dev shows up they get ripped to shreds. And makes me wish there was a bit more constructive dialog going on.
To be fair, I think it goes both ways.

The forums have a lot of unreasonableness on them that all of us fall prey to.

At the same time, ever since launch, Cryptic has had the tendency to come here seeking affirmation more than they seek feedback. A lot of the polls, etc., were for decisions already made. Tribble testing cycles are so fast that feedback doesn't change anything. And devs have developed a siege mentality. So if they DON'T get affirmation, it feels like the community will get ripped for it, as if the feedback is to confirm decisions already made.

The two forces tend to conspire until some of the more grizzled vets wind up adopting a "What are you even doing here?" attitude towards devs.

I like the devs as people but I think Cryptic is bad at collecting feedback from unhappy people and it boils down to what I see as an increasingly dictatorial development process.

Devs get assigned tasks. They try to get hyped up. They come here and get torn down and, having to choose between getting frustrated at their bosses or the players, most get frustrated with the players. Guys like Logan get caught in the crossfire.

And Dan Stahl, who has tons of great vision, isn't running the show. I'm not saying PWE is either but PWE's metric collection process IS running the show. And so we never get to speak to anyone who is in a position to control or change things aside from Heretic, who has a miraculous amount of control over DOffs. And when we do speak to anyone in control over a project, it's invariably something they had to do "off the clock."

I think the metric collections are bad data. Not saying the forums are good data (we're great for selective things) but if the metric collection was doing its job, the forums would be flooded with Terilynn and Chris Fisher types countering the negativity. Heck, anybody remember the forums during Cloaked Intentions? I've never seen such a lovefest. And instead, these folks who should be balancing things here are getting soured.

And so we're in a tailspin of negativity.