Login

Lt. Commander
# 11
04-26-2012, 10:05 AM
This is a great idea!
Lt. Commander
# 12
04-26-2012, 10:15 AM
Who get's to pick the players involved in the battles each weekend??? Everyone is going to want in on this and there will be arguments if someone isn't in every battle or if someone suddenly wants to blame somebody else for losing a battle.

IMO it's asking for trouble.
Lt. Commander
# 13
04-26-2012, 10:32 AM
can I donate some stuff to the cause? I like this idea.
Lt. Commander
# 14 Thanks for the feedback!
04-26-2012, 11:30 AM
All the points that have been raised are all being worked on, I promise you and the goal is to include as many people as possible, and of course to give everyone an equal opportunity.

These are some of the ideas: to show you that ALL will participate and enjoy themselves!

Campaign Leaders:

The individual challenge matches (1 vs. 1), called "Council Challenges", will occur once a month, so the current leaders (The Federation Council, and the Klingon High Council) have the opportunity to lead the faction for a month. Each body will consist of the top 12 players in their combined DPS + healing scores calculated from the 3 matches they compete in. This way all three classes have equal chance to excel in their field.
  • The principle will work on a rotational system, in that no Council member may hold two consecutive terms of office.
  • This will allows everyone the opportunity to serve in this prestigious position.
  • The tournament for this is planned for the 2nd June.

Squadron Leaders.

Once the Council Members have been announced, the remaining pool of players will compete in a second round of challenge matches to determine the squadron leaders. (I am still working out the specifics)
  • Squadron leaders can win renown for their teams, which can be used in increase the team range of movement. The Fleet Leaders are responsible for the position of the fleet assets during the course of the game. The range of the nearest team/s to an attack, determine the scale of the engagement etc. As the teams win more renown both their range and their movement allowance is increased. All teams start with a + 1 movement allowance per week. (Currently I am the only GM, so hopefiully as more get involved someone will be there to man the watch-tower everyday, so the map will only be updated each Saturday!). During the week the positioning of forces will take place. The "battles" will then commence each Saturday (Times to be advised, but I am hoping to at least cover both the EU and US time zones!) - The movement component and the management of teams in this regard is probably the main challenge for me right now. If anyone has some ideas, I really would love to hear from you! - the logic here is similar to a rolling chess game where piece are moved each week.
  • Renown can also earn teams Interception points, that allow them certain degree of autonomous action. They can issue their own attack orders in time directly to the GM, who relays this to the opposing side as well as the Factionís Council.

Wing Commanders
Alliances are formed when 2 - 3 teams allied with one another:
  • To increase their range.
  • To represent an existing fleet. The requirement for fleet representative is that 2/3 teams in the wing must be from a single fleet.
  • Alliances do not have to consist of fleet members. They can consist of PUGs or Premades. All that is required is that prior to the challenge matches being announced, they inform the Council Members that they wish to participate.
  • For all there benefit, Alliances hold greater risks. If 2/3 teams lose their team Challenge matches, each team suffers a - 1 renown, and their movement range is reduced by 1. If 3/3 teams lose, the alliance is considered broken. A -2 renown is suffered by each team, in addition to a -2 movement range per team, and the Alliance must be reformed at either SOL or Qo'noS or the nearest starbase in reach. (work-in-press on this one too, I'm afraid.)

Any number of teams or matches, in any given challenge or "Battle" can be catered for, as the outcome and VP/ SP allocation is determined both at a Faction level, as well as an individual team level, so all share in the victory which is determined by a majority of win.

In a case where one side can field 50 players and the other only say, 30, and the battle is defined as a "Minor Incursion" then the smaller side would still be spread across the same number of matched determined by the teams fielded by the larger side.

Did you know? The Council Members will decide based on the numbers of teams what sort of campaign will be initiated e.g. incursion (3 vs. 3), minor battle (5 vs. 5), and major offensive (8 vs. 8).

Did you know? Not all teams playing will be assigned to space battles. Some will be purposefully set aside for the ground assaults. This is where the shared strategy of the Council Members, Squadron Leaders and Wing Commanders comes into play. A carefully planned and deployed force is what wins battles.

For those that are interested, please leave a footprint, and feel free to share your thoughts and ideas.

The intention of this is always to promote something I love. Arguments may arise, but that is par of the course in STO. The GM is there to provide guidance, direction and carry out all the logistics of updating the map, designing new ideas, which I hope the community will support and enjoy.

Again, thank you and I hope to see you all there!

PS. THE BOTTOM LINE IS THIS. All you need to do, is bring your gameface and pew-pew. Let the rules and GM take care of the rest!
Lt. Commander
# 15
04-26-2012, 11:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigduckie
can I donate some stuff to the cause? I like this idea.
Thank you for the support. Please feel free to drop me a mail. I am looking for all able bodies looking to help!
Lt. Commander
# 16
04-26-2012, 02:05 PM
So I think I glossed over the nitty gritty details. I still love the idea, but it seems like a lot of work that requires not only organization, but a whole lot of participation. I would suggest making it much more free form and voluntary. Basically, every weekend at a set time, you get people together, and they each sign up for a certain type of match. Whoever's in charge places people in matches, and those matches determine the results for that week.

I just don't think that there would be enough interest in this to get people for the Councils, and squad leaders, etc. Eventually, maybe, and that would be great, but for the initial bouts I would suggest something simpler.
Lt. Commander
# 17
04-26-2012, 05:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Felderburg View Post
So I think I glossed over the nitty gritty details. I still love the idea, but it seems like a lot of work that requires not only organization, but a whole lot of participation. I would suggest making it much more free form and voluntary. Basically, every weekend at a set time, you get people together, and they each sign up for a certain type of match. Whoever's in charge places people in matches, and those matches determine the results for that week.

I just don't think that there would be enough interest in this to get people for the Councils, and squad leaders, etc. Eventually, maybe, and that would be great, but for the initial bouts I would suggest something simpler.
Thanks for your input. I will think carefully about what you suggest, and see how best to get the game started without too much happening all at once. Baby steps, I agree.
Lt. Commander
# 18
05-11-2012, 02:38 PM
A good way to get people to participate could be getting PWE_BranFlakes involved. I would suggest at least shooting a feeler his way to see if he's willing to publicize it a bit. Once the details are all ironed out, he could announce it, and hopefully get more people involved than just this or other player posts.
Lt. Commander
# 19
05-11-2012, 03:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Felderburg View Post
A good way to get people to participate could be getting PWE_BranFlakes involved. I would suggest at least shooting a feeler his way to see if he's willing to publicize it a bit. Once the details are all ironed out, he could announce it, and hopefully get more people involved than just this or other player posts.
Thanks Felderburg! I have popped PWE_BranFlakes a mail, so hopefully when get some feedback.

I am still ironing out some of the ideas. Have been getting some great feedback, and want to ensure that the opening day is primarily just about an introduction, so as not to get too focused on some of the major themes and stuff.