Lt. Commander
# 1 D3DCompiler_42.dll
05-05-2012, 06:50 AM
Today I have started getting errors that I never got before.

Quote:
Fatal Error: Failed to load D3DCompiler_42.dll. Verifying Files in the launcher or reinstalling may fix this issue.
I tried Verifying the file in the launcher and it didn't fix the problem. I would rather not have to reinstall if I can help it (I don't have physical discs as I bought the game through Cryptic as a download, and really don't want to have to redownload.)
Lt. Commander
# 2
05-05-2012, 07:54 AM
That's a directx error. Something's corrupt or didn't get installed right or well you get the idea.

The times I've seen it previously, it's been related to the 9.0c upgrade that never came down. Give this page a looksee and see if that helps:

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/downl...ils.aspx?id=35

Please note that even though ti says version 9.0c, towards the end it also mentions v11 installs as well.

Hope this helps
Lt. Commander
# 3
05-05-2012, 08:43 AM
Thanks I will check it out. And DirectX 11 won't install on my PC, I have WInXP Pro 64. DirectX 10 and 11 don't work with WinXP.
Lt. Commander
# 4
05-05-2012, 08:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by APhantasm72 View Post
Thanks I will check it out. And DirectX 11 won't install on my PC, I have WInXP Pro 64. DirectX 10 and 11 don't work with WinXP.
Probably is the missing 9.0c upgrade then. i had the same problem with Civilization 5 way back when on my win7 install although it was with a different file.

Never understood why they didn't push this out.
Lt. Commander
# 5
05-05-2012, 10:00 AM
Well I have tried reinstalling the game (I lucked out I still had the installer on my computer). I tried reinstalling DirectX 9.0c. I continue to get the error. This makes no sense. Why start getting this error today but not any day before. I've been back for a little over a week now and all that time I didn't have any problems till today.
Lt. Commander
# 6
05-05-2012, 03:03 PM
I don't know what I did but I finally got the error to go away, and was able to play for a couple hours. Then the game hangs and then crashes giving the following error.

Quote:
Fatal Error: Read Wrong Number of bytes: 13

Technical Details: Read Wrong Number of bytes: Animation_Library/Sto_Face/Dualpistol/Sto_Dualpistol_Aimmode_Idle_Waiting.Atrk: 13
I'm beginning to think that drive is getting ready to crash on me. I luckily have 2 installed, a PATA and a SATA. The PATA holds my Windows operating system and the SATA holds ST:O. Bad thing is if the drive is going bad it will be expensive to replace (and no money to replace right now) its a 1TB drive, on top of that only a year old.
Lt. Commander
# 7
05-06-2012, 05:03 AM
I just wanted to update. Like I said yesterday I thought the drive was getting ready to crash (fail), and it did indeed fail on me. Seeing how it was mainly my games drive and Windows was on the PATA I am fine. During my research I noticed that Western Digital has RMA procedures, all I need is the serial number off the drive to RMA it. If they will RMA it and send me a new one ( or even a used one that is pretty sound) I may do that.
Lt. Commander
# 8
05-11-2012, 05:00 PM
Good luck on that. Half the time I never get a RMA to go through. I tossed my last laptop into the trash (well storage) because Toshiba gave me the run around on fixing a couple of issues until the 1 year anniversary lapsed my warranty and they fell back to it being out of warranty response.