Lt. Commander
# 31
05-10-2012, 09:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumerboy View Post
No, I did not read the entire thing through before responding. My taco meat filling has trouble processing and remembering that much text all at once, so I took it in bite sized chunks and replied in line as I read. That doesn't make my reply any less accurate.

1) This is still a TON of new tech, that we don't have.
2) I'm not a business dude, but I know how that works well enough to say, "If we spent the rather sizable amount of time and money and manpower to make this happen, what benefit do we get from it? Are more people going to play our game because of this? Are more people going to subscribe because of this? etc.

The base idea, of a galactic map UI that you pick your destination from, and a counter counts down, and when finished, lets you leave your bridge, to that spot, is reasonable in my view.

Having systems and planets fly past you in real time, through the view screen is not.
I didn't quite mean having the systems fly past, but the graphics effects you notice around your ship (warp streaks, transwarp particles, et cetera et cetera et cetera) and possibly even some of the more exotic views such as the Mutara Nebula (if that has its own view) or Badlands appear properly in it.

Also, note that my idea mostly came from reading your earlier reply and being on the Odyssey bridge, which means that it's possible that more people will buy the more exotic bridges such as the Odyssey or Belfast (ik both aren't bridge-only stuff and come with something else, but...) and I apologize for not mentioning that earlier (thought about that during school too xD)

Edit: Also, yes, I forgot about that maintenance... too bad I didn't read your reply on that.
Lt. Commander
# 32
05-10-2012, 04:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Commodore Shrvk
Well we know that this is a no and have been told this will be a no many times no matter how much the community wants it.
Well, some of the community if you wanted to to be non self-serving about it.

I personally would prefer to see my starship zipping around space instead of a Windows screensaver and the back of my Boff's heads any day.
Lt. Commander
# 33
05-11-2012, 10:02 AM
The way I see it he's not actually saying have our ships visible in sector space whilst the timer counts down. But simply have your ship disappear from the map like it would normally when you swap to the bridge map. Then when the timers up prompt asking if you want to return to the "tactical view" or whatever it's called and spawn at the entry point for that sector block. So if I wanted to I'd warp to Sirrus sector block, go to my bridge and plot in a course for Psi Velorum sector block and watch the timer tick down. Nothing to hard in that, it's just a delayed spawn time based on the average time it would take to travel around sectors. Swapping maps to different decks wouldn't be problematic either as it would just be like DOFF assignments ticking down on the timer.

Honestly, whats hard about that?
Lt. Commander
# 34
05-12-2012, 02:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim3822 View Post
The way I see it he's not actually saying have our ships visible in sector space whilst the timer counts down. But simply have your ship disappear from the map like it would normally when you swap to the bridge map. Then when the timers up prompt asking if you want to return to the "tactical view" or whatever it's called and spawn at the entry point for that sector block. So if I wanted to I'd warp to Sirrus sector block, go to my bridge and plot in a course for Psi Velorum sector block and watch the timer tick down. Nothing to hard in that, it's just a delayed spawn time based on the average time it would take to travel around sectors. Swapping maps to different decks wouldn't be problematic either as it would just be like DOFF assignments ticking down on the timer.

Honestly, whats hard about that?
Yes, yes, yes! That's almost it! Except my idea had several optional addons (optional from the dev side): You could go to the bridge from the beginning and plot a course out of the system, then throughout the vastness of space to wherever you wanted.
Another addon I mentioned was to display the uhh, skyboxes used in the Mutara Nebula or Badlands, that kind of stuff, based on a secondary calculation (if you can calculate the time it takes to reach a place, then you can pretty much calculate the time you reach anything else along that route, every single second of it, meaning that by knowing the route, you can calculate when to change the skybox).
And I did also consider using a new skybox for Transwarp or Slipstream travel, as well as the typical warp streaks when moving at warp speed. I did also think about having the ability to go from anywhere to warp 0.01 to warp 20.93 (assuming I fully specced into Driver Coil and have the subtranswarp engines) at will. That'd help out with cosmetic issues for places such as the crew decks and the window-having bridges (I would like to have the viewscreen actually view something though, if possible :p)
Furthermore, I also implemented the idea of having you become able to transport to any location within the system (for example, if i'm in the Sol system, i can beam to Starfleet Academy, the Captain's Table (if available), or Earth Spacedock from the nearest transporter pad, or decide to go back to warp from the bridge)

Edit: "nearest transporter pad" included the transporter pad on the Aquarius Bridge, which oddly seems to behave as if it were a turbolift when going from the crew deck or engineering to the bridge.

Re-edit: You see, when you turbolift from somewhere to the Aquarius Bridge, you end up on the transporter pad as if you had just come aboard, as opposed to properly exiting the turbolift on the bridge.