Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
Hi all, I've recently downloaded and started using RachelGarrett's Demo Record Launcher (mainly just to play around for now, but with Foundry trailers in mind) and so far, it's going pretty well!

However, I've hit a couple of snags that I can't figure out and I was wondering if there is anyone out there who is familier with the program and has the answers I'm looking for (after hours of trawling the net, I've mearly drawn a blank!)

Firstly, with regards to removing effects, I've managed to remove the shield rings that appear from Transfer Shield Strength etc, but I'm still having difficulties removing the icons that appear for certain abilities, i.e. the "A" "B" that appears when using Attack pattern Alpha/Bravo etc. Does any-one know of/have a list of the effects to be removed in the program fot these to disappear? (my aim is to make the recordings look as real as possible, and little icons/symbols that appear above the ships work against that!)

And secondly, I'm having problems recording the audio track from the recordings! Some-one mentioned (somewhere online) that you need the recording to play back all the way through first so the error message that comes up at the end will not show again, but each time I do this and try again, the alert still shows! Would I need to leave the recording open once this has been displayed, and "record audio" again with the first still open? (I hope you understand this, not sure I do! lol)

Any help would be appreciated, the main issue is with the effects, the soundtrack I can get around by just adding music, but it would be nice to have the sound of the Phasers/explosions etc to add a more realistic sense of drama (to those that are going to say that in space there is no sound, I say I KNOW, but I'd still like it! )

I hope there is some-one out there who can assist!

My thanks in advance,

Noodles

EDIT: also, I just remembered, the last video I did was a tour of ESD and I find that most of the NPC's are missing! I left my toon dancing in Club 47 for 5 mins (the length of the desired movie) and the guys that should be in the booths outside sickbay are not there, neither are most of the others! Is this due to the fact that I was not close enough to them for them to be rendered? or is it something else? also, for the first time ever, I saw the bank and the exchange deserted! again, is this due to the distance between my toon and the area?

Again, Thanks!

Nx
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 2
05-12-2012, 11:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikki_Noodles
Hi all, I've recently downloaded and started using RachelGarrett's Demo Record Launcher (mainly just to play around for now, but with Foundry trailers in mind) and so far, it's going pretty well!

However, I've hit a couple of snags that I can't figure out and I was wondering if there is anyone out there who is familier with the program and has the answers I'm looking for (after hours of trawling the net, I've mearly drawn a blank!)

Firstly, with regards to removing effects, I've managed to remove the shield rings that appear from Transfer Shield Strength etc, but I'm still having difficulties removing the icons that appear for certain abilities, i.e. the "A" "B" that appears when using Attack pattern Alpha/Bravo etc. Does any-one know of/have a list of the effects to be removed in the program fot these to disappear? (my aim is to make the recordings look as real as possible, and little icons/symbols that appear above the ships work against that!)
Answer
No, I don't think it's possible to remove all the visual FX. I try and leave the demo unedited as sometimes it gets corrupted and fails to launch after an edit. Bear in mind the Demo Launcher is a very old tool and the Demo Player in STO was probably never updated just about... forever.

Also, do not try to record and playback very large battles. Do not try to record an entire Gorn Minefield run, it will simply not play back due to sheer size. It should work if you can do a say, 30 second demo. Probably there are object number limitations just like you experienced with ESD.


Quote:

And secondly, I'm having problems recording the audio track from the recordings! Some-one mentioned (somewhere online) that you need the recording to play back all the way through first so the error message that comes up at the end will not show again, but each time I do this and try again, the alert still shows! Would I need to leave the recording open once this has been displayed, and "record audio" again with the first still open? (I hope you understand this, not sure I do! lol)
Answer

Getting the audio track of ship and weapons fx is easy. Just open the demo file, let it playback, and use FRAPS to record both video and audio. You do not need special hardware or multiple re-runs because Windows 7 allows FRAPS to capture audio directly from the sound hardware exactly as its played on speaker in real time.


Quote:
Any help would be appreciated, the main issue is with the effects, the soundtrack I can get around by just adding music, but it would be nice to have the sound of the Phasers/explosions etc to add a more realistic sense of drama (to those that are going to say that in space there is no sound, I say I KNOW, but I'd still like it! )
Suggestion:

Sometimes hearing peee peeeeeee peeeeeeee played repeatedly for 5 minutes is extremely annoying, so I go without the in-game sounds despite suggestions to the contrary. They serve little purpose anyway as the main point of my recordings (such as this one yesterday) is to capture ship motion and graphical FX. I'm generally fine with all the attack patterns showing as STO to me is simply an augmented reality battle management system display.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 3
05-13-2012, 05:41 AM
Hi, Thanks for replying!
With regards to the demo's becoming corrupted, I've lost a couple like that, untill I realised there was a Backup Demo function. I had no idea how old the software is, I suppose I just assumed that RachelGarret is still working on it (the last post that was made on the official thread ws in Nov last year!)

I managed to record the whole of an infected elite stf which took about 20mins (no optioanl obviously ) and that managed to play back fine! but I guess your right about the limitations!

I never thought about using a second programe to record the audio, thanks!

As you say, the "peee peeeeeee peeeeeeee" noises can get annoying, but I was intedning to turn down that audio to around 40% and add a musical track over the top of it, so it's mearly in the background, therefore, not quite as annoying!

With regards to the attack pattern graphics showing, I see your point, I guess I'll just have to live with the ones I can't remove!

Thank you for your response.

Nx
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:22 AM.