Lt. Commander
# 381
05-14-2012, 02:38 PM
i did something similar. i purchased what i thought was a playable federation klingon character at the c-store. i did not bother to read the description. what i actually purchased was a captain that could have a klingon bridge officer. no klingon officer yet.
Lt. Commander
# 382
05-14-2012, 05:15 PM
As far as I know it is impossible to buy a KDF officer as a fed or vice versa. Unless something has changed recently.
Lt. Commander
# 383
05-14-2012, 07:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by captainoblivous
As far as I know it is impossible to buy a KDF officer as a fed or vice versa. Unless something has changed recently.
For duty officers there is no check to see if the officer is usable. You can buy opposing faction duty officers but they have little to no functionality.

The only warning you have is a red/blue border around the doff's picture and a very tiny faction logo behind the portrait. If the doff's head is very large, you can't even see it except for certain distinctive shapes of the Fed or KDF faction emblem.
Lt. Commander
# 384
05-14-2012, 08:47 PM
One day a blue quality KDF doff showed up in my roster. The doff was a biologist, something I would never buy off the exchange. I actually think I got it as a reward from a doff assignment. After failing to sell it on the market I was able to mail it to one of my KDF characters. Weird.
Lt. Commander
# 385
05-15-2012, 02:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by captainoblivous
You can buy them off the exchange, they just don't work (you'll get a popup box with dialog from the officer you just bought complaining about you being the wrong faction and how they'll never work for you).

As a Fed you can still get a KDF BOFF that is actually usable if you max out Diplomacy (Ambassador title) - see http://www.stowiki.org/Bridge_office..._Enemy_Faction and http://www.stowiki.org/Bridge_officer#KDF_Enemy_Faction

My main is a Fed Engineer Captain who has a Female Orion Engineer BOFF (chosen for her ground traits rather than her looks, honest!!)
Lt. Commander
# 386
05-15-2012, 03:06 AM
And had another case of 'I'll protect the Kang' in Cure Normal earlier.

A classic case, where the person in question (flying an Odyssey) boldly, and loudly, proclaimed this failed quite spectacularly. In fact, the first three BOP's killed the optional before anyone could get back there to assist. Once the initial BOP's were dealt with we flew off to deal with generators etc, advising the Oddy Captain to let us know if he needed help. No reply was forthcoming from Oddy Captain and we therefore carried on with the task at hand.

Unfortunately, after despatching a few geneators, I looked back again only to note that the second wave of BOP's were overwhelming the Oddy too, which was ( in fairness) firing at one of them. However, whilst the Oddy was busy with that one the other two were busy blasting the Kang. Sadly, whilst a few of us reached the Kang in time to despatch two of the BOP's, and throw heals at the Kang, the damage was already done and a plasma torpedo that no-one was able to intercept in time killed the mission.

Guess it was partly the team's fault - I suppose we should have kept better watch of the Kang, though I guess it is easy to mistake overconfidence for experience.

I'd have to admit, too, that I can't help but wonder if the Oddy Captain did this on purpose, as discussed in another thread (referring to people joining STF's with the intention of making them fail).
Lt. Commander
# 387
05-15-2012, 03:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by reyan01
I'd have to admit, too, that I can't help but wonder if the Oddy Captain did this on purpose, as discussed in another thread (referring to people joining STF's with the intention of making them fail).
If it was a real troll, I'd have expected them to queue for Elite rather than Normal.

On the other hand; the Kang on Normal can take a lot of punishment compared to on Elite. If you throw it a Tac Team 1 and a Transfer Shield Strength it can nearly cope with a wave of BOPs firing at it by itself... and BOPs die a heck of a lot faster on Normal - you nearly need to make a conscious effort to suck so badly that you can't kill a wave of them by yourself.

It's possible to build an Oddy that can handle two waves of BoPs on Elite. And that's not "min-maxed" - I've managed it with only Mk XI weapons (and whilst I've got a good bit of Cruiser pilotting experience I'm certainly not the best pilot out there). One wave on normal should be no problem. I'm convinced that some of those people just sit at 25 Weapons power with one MKIV beam array on autofire...
Lt. Commander
# 388
05-15-2012, 03:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maelwys
If it was a real troll, I'd have expected them to queue for Elite rather than Normal.

On the other hand; the Kang on Normal can take a lot of punishment compared to on Elite. If you throw it a Tac Team 1 and a Transfer Shield Strength it can nearly cope with a wave of BOPs firing at it by itself... and BOPs die a heck of a lot faster on Normal - you nearly need to make a conscious effort to suck so badly that you can't kill a wave of them by yourself.

It's possible to build an Oddy that can handle two waves of BoPs on Elite. And that's not "min-maxed" - I've managed it with only Mk XI weapons (and whilst I've got a good bit of Cruiser pilotting experience I'm certainly not the best pilot out there). One wave on normal should be no problem. I'm convinced that some of those people just sit at 25 Weapons power with one MKIV beam array on autofire...
Well, in honesty, I couldn't comment on how much effort the Oddy in question was making to deal with the BOP's although it didn't seem as if he was ignoring them. On the other hand, it didn't seem as if he was moving much either, and he certainly wasn't doing anything to heal the Kang.
Lt. Commander
# 389
05-15-2012, 12:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maelwys
I'm convinced that some of those people just sit at 25 Weapons power with one MKIV beam array on autofire...
It would be nice if we could have canned, one key messages that we could send and not have to type in like, 'Please Take Your Weapons Off Stun.' or 'Technicolor/Rainbow Beams. LOL' or 'Hey Noobe, OVER HERE!'
Lt. Commander
# 390
05-15-2012, 02:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake81499 View Post
It would be nice if we could have canned, one key messages that we could send and not have to type in like, 'Please Take Your Weapons Off Stun.' or 'Technicolor/Rainbow Beams. LOL' or 'Hey Noobe, OVER HERE!'
Pretty sure you can use keybinds for that, but I haven't messed with them in a while.