Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > Federation Shipyards
Login

Lt. Commander
# 21
05-15-2012, 10:25 PM
I'm thinking about a theme that has 'withstood the test of time'.

The things that come to mind are

Constitution <--- I've never seen a STO ship named after Old Ironsides before, actually.
Von Braun <---- Pioneer of spaceflight
Sentinel <--- Something lasting and ever present, like a Statue of Liberty overwatching NYC Harbour
Manitou <--- Supernatural term, force of life
Or use a name from Hindi mythology which is considered a good source of exotic names. I can't guarantee you won't end up with a ship used by the modern Indian Navy though.

For a more combative name you can also consider famous ancient military units such as
Cataphract (or native spelling katapraktoi)
Saracen etc
I believe there is a USS Jannisary somewhere so this naming convention was at least used in softcanon

^ this may end up with similarities to contemporary British Army armoured vehicles

Works of fiction also sometimes yield innovative alien names

Hrazzelik ("Javelin"), special operations star cruiser featured in the Star Rigger universe books.
Lt. Commander
# 22
05-15-2012, 11:25 PM
Okay actually came up with two variations for a possible ship name and want to hear which one ya'll think sounds better.

U.S.S. Traelonia

U.S.S. Traelonis

and the Registry I was would would be some variant of the stardate on which I actually change the ship's name so using today for an example it would be:

Option 1) U.S.S. Traelonia
NX-8343469

Option 2) U.S.S. Traelonia
NCC-8343469

Option 3) U.S.S. Traelonis
NX-8343469

Option 4) U.S.S. Traelonis
NCC-8343469

Option 5) None of the above
Lt. Commander
# 23
05-16-2012, 05:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by voicesinthedark View Post
Option 3) U.S.S. Traelonis
NX-8343469
This. I like the sound of this. Where is if from? I googled for it but just came up with this thread!! lol

I understand the dificulty though. I press rename everytime on commisioning a ship...and my mind goes blank!

Every toon I have thats had a runabout (Danube or Yellowstone) has always had it named after a river, as per the runabouts in DS9.
Lt. Commander
# 24
05-16-2012, 09:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyxadrill
This. I like the sound of this. Where is if from? I googled for it but just came up with this thread!! lol

I understand the dificulty though. I press rename everytime on commisioning a ship...and my mind goes blank!

Every toon I have thats had a runabout (Danube or Yellowstone) has always had it named after a river, as per the runabouts in DS9.
Actually it was just some random wordplay and mash ups in my head lol.

the Traelon part is actually influenced from Earth: Final Conflict (another Gene Roddenberry show for those that don't know) The Aliens on there were named Taelons, and I always liked the way their names and language sounded and flowed. The "R" was added obviously to create a different name fragment and still flows well with the "aelon" segment.

The "lonis" "lonia" segments are from my love of the legend of King Arthur, camelot, and Avalon with the "ia" addition to Avalon, it also refers a micro continent that once existed. The "is" addition to the Traelonis name was a fragment from another favorite legend of mine, being the Legend of Atlantis.
Lt. Commander
# 25
05-16-2012, 07:39 PM
I currently have U.S.S. Valiant, Vigilant, and Vanguard. Running out of cool sounding "V" words.