Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > Federation Shipyards
Login

Lt. Commander
I'm running a slightly modified version of something (<--setup here, click me!) that was suggested previously when I asked about cruisers. It works great in PVP & normal STFs, but I'm finding in elites it can't do enough DPS to handle more than a couple of probes at a time in Khitomer, and it takes a while to stop two birds of prey in Cure (though I can stop them before they reach the Kang). Stopping raptors before they reach the Kang in Cure or killing the 4 probe spawns in KA is out of the question though.

As far as I can tell the reason is probably because the weapon power drops so much while the beam arrays are cycling. I start at 125 & drop to about 50 normally or as far down as the 30s when Beam Fire At Will is running. This causes me to hit for a third of my maximum damage when the weapon power level is down. Other players have told me they keep their power levels close to 100 all the time, but I don't see how. I took one player's advice & swapped in an EPS Mk XI (70%) which I didn't have before (I was using an RCS in that slot) and didn't see any difference whatsoever. Even when I replaced all my engineering consoles with EPS I only stayed about 10 weapon power higher than before.

Any ideas how I can keep my weapon power and DPS up?
Lt. Commander
# 2
05-16-2012, 10:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MallowOni
I'm running a slightly modified version of something that was suggested previously when I asked about cruisers. It works great in PVP & normal STFs, but I'm finding in elites it can't do enough DPS to handle more than a couple of probes at a time in Khitomer, and it takes a while to stop two birds of prey in Cure (though I can stop them before they reach the Kang). Stopping raptors before they reach the Kang in Cure or killing the 4 probe spawns in KA is out of the question though.

As far as I can tell the reason is probably because the weapon power drops so much while the beam arrays are cycling. I start at 125 & drop to about 50 normally or as far down as the 30s when Beam Fire At Will is running. This causes me to hit for a third of my maximum damage when the weapon power level is down. Other players have told me they keep their power levels close to 100 all the time, but I don't see how. I took one player's advice & swapped in an EPS Mk XI (70%) which I didn't have before (I was using an RCS in that slot) and didn't see any difference whatsoever. Even when I replaced all my engineering consoles with EPS I only stayed about 10 weapon power higher than before.

Any ideas how I can keep my weapon power and DPS up?
Keeping 1 or 2 torp launchers is always a good idea for burst damage when shields are down. If you're running 8 beams, it's not really worth it, DPS-wise, when compared to the power drain. 6 or 7 beams with 1or 2 Quantum torps will do better and keep your power levels up higher.

In your skills, putting points into the weapon power line will help. As will pumping up warp core efficiency (that helps all power levels). Keeping at least one or two copies of Emergency Power To Weapons on your BoFF bars helps a LOT. Tactical Team can help with DPS, too, though I'm not sure if it effects power levels. Keeping some Weapon Batteries in your device slots is always a good idea as well. On my Gal-X I might drop down into the high 70's on weapon power now and then because I haven't perfected my ability cycle just yet, but most of the time I'm sitting at least in the 90's, usually over 100. Only time I really drop low is when I fire off my phaser lance, but I usually lead with a burst from it while maxed on DPS buffs while coming out of cloak.

Hope some of that helps.
Lt. Commander
# 3
05-16-2012, 11:01 PM
I included the link (the underlined "something" in the original post) so you could see the BOff powers, captain skills, and gear I'm using (or approximating in some cases). Most of what you mentioned is already in the setup, though I do appreciate your advice.

As for putting a torp launcher fore and/or aft I don't really like the idea because cruisers turn poorly & the time it would take to position myself would probably mean lost DPS overall. It may work for you & your setup, but it's not something that would work that well for me, and since I have people telling me they run pure beam boats with high weapon power I'm hoping there's a way to do it without needing to include torps or mines.
Lt. Commander
# 4
05-16-2012, 11:51 PM
Skill layout is ... strange.
Why do you need aux performance for cruiser? For aux to *?
Energy weapon specialization is "absolutely must have" here, i think it will be wise to reduce all admiral level skills to 6/9 and get it.
I have eng galor, i use 7 beams and 1 tricobalt mine. Mine realy helps, aspecially if you want to stop probes\bops\raptors. i have no such problems, 4 probes are almost killed by single FAW.
Also 125 weapon power is "absolutely must have", it will increase dps a lot. Actualy with 100 power 8-th beam decrese dps instead of increasing it.
Also throw away those power transfer console, it does nothing from the moment they changed weapon power drain mechanics.

Also:
Use tac BO in universal station if you want DPS. Get attack pattern beta & omega. Get eject warp plasma, its really nice. Get tactical team.
Do not use more than 2 emergency power to * abilities as they have shared CD. I prefer to get 2*EPtS and set weapon preset to 100 reducing shield, which is compensated by EPtS.
You can change HE2 to HE1 (removing tractor beam) and get tractor beam repulsors. It will help to deal witn "defend" tasks.
Lt. Commander
# 5
05-17-2012, 09:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddaemon View Post
Why do you need aux performance for cruiser? For aux to *?
The aux performance is for better heals, HE 1 & 2 as well as Aux to SIF. I can see your point that it's not worth fully investing in though, especially since it's DPS I'm having trouble with not healing.

Quote:
I have eng galor, i use 7 beams and 1 tricobalt mine. Mine realy helps, aspecially if you want to stop probes\bops\raptors. i have no such problems, 4 probes are almost killed by single FAW.
So either you're telling me that having a single less beam array is going to significantly raise my DPS, or there's quite a bit about your setup that you're neglecting to mention.

Quote:
Also throw away those power transfer console, it does nothing from the moment they changed weapon power drain mechanics.
Yep, already done. Even stacking four of them only gave me marginal results, so I'm definitely not wasting my time with just one.

Quote:
Also 125 weapon power is "absolutely must have", it will increase dps a lot.
With the equipment & skills I'm using weapon and shield power are at 125 whenever EPtW/S is up.

Quote:
Do not use more than 2 emergency power to * abilities as they have shared CD. I prefer to get 2*EPtS and set weapon preset to 100 reducing shield, which is compensated by EPtS.
EPtX abilities do share a cooldown, but you can manage 4 instances of them. You'll lose about a second between each one, but you can pretty much chain them so that you can permarun two abilities, in this case EPtS & EPtW.

Quote:
Get eject warp plasma, its really nice.
One of the changes I've made is a theta radiation vent console, which frees up an engineering slot since I don't have to have Eject Warp Plasma.
Lt. Commander
# 6
05-17-2012, 09:51 AM
The best way Iíve found to maintain high weapons power in a Beam boat is to cycle between two copies of Emergency Power to Weapons every 15 Seconds. You may also cycle between two copies of EPTS as well.

Here is how to do it:

Activate EPTS. This will put EPTW on a 15 second shared cool-down and your other copy of EPTS on a 30 sec cool-down. As soon as you can, hit EPTW. This will place your EPTS on a 15 second cool-down, but that does not matter because it just hit 15 seconds anyway. Now, rinse and repeat continually!

If you really want to get fancy, you can tie; Fire all Beam Weapons, Re-Distribute Shields, Both Copies of EPTS and both Copies of EPTW, all to your spacebar as a key-bind. In this way, you donít even have to really thing about whether or not you are activating those skills. You can just focus on activating BFAW.
Lt. Commander
# 7
05-17-2012, 10:01 AM
Cryptic themselfs said 4-6 beams is the "optimal" range. I'm guessing 6 is when you can keep your power at 100-125 for a more constant rate.

Torps may not have a good arc, they do have great range compared to how close cannons have to be to deliver their max punch, don't drain weapon power, and don't require high weapon power to operate. Plus you can use torps that give you Damage stacks over time like Har'Ping/Plasma that will do hull damage while your target moves around to your other arc's.

You can buff torpedo's by using DOFFs that reduce load times. I'm getting three Torp officers that have a 20% chance to reduce all torp load times by 5 sec per torpedo shot. That's a massive increase to DPS that required no consoles slots or extra power.

-If you are and ENG captain, then use Nadion inversion to cut down on weapon power drain. Found that out yesterday.

-Tac team to boost general accuracy skill on energy and torps (use this and EPS for max damage or when waiting for EPS/Nadion) Won't help with power, but makes up for not having enough.

-EPS to power heals/weapons
Lt. Commander
# 8
05-17-2012, 11:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teleon View Post
If you really want to get fancy, you can tie; Fire all Beam Weapons, Re-Distribute Shields, Both Copies of EPTS and both Copies of EPTW, all to your spacebar as a key-bind. In this way, you donít even have to really thing about whether or not you are activating those skills. You can just focus on activating BFAW.
I'm already doing exactly that. It's great for keeping all my buffs going without requiring that I pay much attention to my skills tray, thus leaving me more time to watch what's going on, but it also has the downside of meaning EPtW usually doesn't go off when I'm at low power. It just goes off when its timer is up. That's kind of a no win situation, so I'm happier just having it bound to my spacebar.
Lt. Commander
# 9
05-17-2012, 11:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MallowOni
I'm already doing exactly that. It's great for keeping all my buffs going without requiring that I pay much attention to my skills tray, thus leaving me more time to watch what's going on, but it also has the downside of meaning EPtW usually doesn't go off when I'm at low power. It just goes off when its timer is up. That's kind of a no win situation, so I'm happier just having it bound to my spacebar.
Right, but you should only use BFAW in cordination with EPTW. The only other thing you can do is to go down to six beams. Using a torp forward and Aft of your choice. I'd recommend Quatum.
Lt. Commander
# 10
05-17-2012, 11:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by exile688
Cryptic themselfs said 4-6 beams is the "optimal" range. I'm guessing 6 is when you can keep your power at 100-125 for a more constant rate.
The funny thing is that most people who tell me they're able to keep their weapon power up with full beam arrays suddenly gets very quiet when I ask them how to do it, or they wind up giving advice that turns out to be rubbish when I try it out.

I'll try cutting down to 6 arrays & throwing in a hargh'peng fore & something else with some punch, tricobalt or Breen cluster torp maybe, for the aft slot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by exile688
You can buff torpedo's by using DOFFs that reduce load times. I'm getting three Torp officers that have a 20% chance to reduce all torp load times by 5 sec per torpedo shot. That's a massive increase to DPS that required no consoles slots or extra power.
They do take up active duty DOff slots however, and that's not something I think I can spare.