Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > Federation Shipyards
Login

Lt. Commander
# 11
05-17-2012, 12:01 PM
I have a beam boat also but I'm a tactical officer.. What I do is cycle my weapon buffs to keep reasonable DPS and make extensive use of weapon batteries. For instance in KASE I usually keep gard on probe and I rarely have any that goes beyond me, I always park above the travel lane just behond the range of the gate (10-10.5 km). One trick I use is hit weapon batteries or any buff than use fire at will. By the time the first on blow up the second one (and more if there is) already has his shield down and close to 50% hull.

When I need to kill something real fast I stack up my tac buff for a good burst of power. Now my tactical officer has almost all weapons skill maxed out so that help a lot.

Also I don't use beam overload anymore, always get weapon power to zero and it always take a while before I do decent damage again if no buff or batteries are availlable. I use 8 beams and power level usually go to around 50 to 60% at the end of each cycle and never below 85% on batteries. One thing I like about antiproton is that you get lots of criticals hits so that helps keep DPS up.

I almost always have weapon power set to 100%, plus any buff from console and stuff on top (120% now). Also to maximize batteries I have two purple maintenance engineer which gives me 4 second extra on batteries (my skill are maxed out also for batteries).
Lt. Commander
# 12
05-17-2012, 12:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MallowOni
The funny thing is that most people who tell me they're able to keep their weapon power up with full beam arrays suddenly gets very quiet when I ask them how to do it, or they wind up giving advice that turns out to be rubbish when I try it out.

I'll try cutting down to 6 arrays & throwing in a hargh'peng fore & something else with some punch, tricobalt or Breen cluster torp maybe, for the aft slot.
The way I keep my weapons power up to good levels is exactly this:

As an Engineer Captain, when I find myself in a bind for power consumption, Iíll use Nadeon Inversion to slow down my consumption rates. I do this especially when Iím going to be using BFAW or a double tap of Beam Overload. In the meantime I rotate my EPTW-I skill for an addition +15 to my weapons power setting.

If I find Iím still running out of Power Iíll use EPS-Power Transfer and/or my Red Matter Capacitor for +20 to all subsystem power levels.

On the attack my power settings are: 100/50/25/25

I use the Borg Assimilated Module which gives a passive +5 weapons power. I also have skilled 9 points into Starship Weapons Proficiency; which gives me +9.9 to my weapons power setting and 9 points into Warp Core Potential which gives +4.9 to all power levels!

So if you do the math: 100 +9.9+5.0+4.9 +15 = 134.8. That is without using RMC or EPS-PT. So it is possible to maintain high weapon power levels! You just need to set things up correctly.

Now, in a cruiser, Iíd like to inform you that dealing high spike DPS is not your job! Healing Team mates and providing support is! One of the best combo attacks I feel a cruiser can provide in PVP is BFAW combined with APB! As you will de-buff all targets you hit, plus, it stacks 5seconds for every successful hit! And, BFAW fires rapidly causing fast stacking and larger stacking of the abilities duration.
Lt. Commander
# 13
05-17-2012, 12:35 PM
Can I hijack a thread for a moment ? OK, what combo is better ? APB2+FAW2 or APB1+FAW3 ?

Oh, and I also use the same technique as Teleon.
Lt. Commander
# 14
05-17-2012, 12:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by vesolc
Can I hijack a thread for a moment? OK, what combo is better? APB2+FAW2 or APB1+FAW3 ?
If you are in a Cruiser with a Lieutenant Commander Bridge officer tactical station I would say that APB2 with BFAW2 is the best option if your goal is to help de-buff enemy targets. That leaves you with Tactical Team I to help keep your shields up or to remove de-buffs etc. Personally, this combo is probably best when used with something like DEM III as you will get good shield penetration and your targets Hull will have a de-buff on all energy damage resistances. Just make sure to do all this in-between their Tactical Team cast because TT removes APB de-buff!

If you are in a cruiser with only a Lieutenant Bridge officer tactical station you could still go with BFAW-I and APB-I to de-buff some targets. It obviously is not as effective that way, and you give up having Tactical Team which is a very important Skill.
Lt. Commander
# 15
05-17-2012, 01:37 PM
Thank you for your answer. I think DEM is more for PvP and I primarily play STFs so I'm gonna skip that Yeah, APB2 melts targets faster. It would be awesome to have Com. on cruiser with APB3. OP:p
Lt. Commander
# 16
05-17-2012, 01:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teleon View Post
So if you do the math: 100 +9.9+5.0+4.9 +15 = 134.8. That is without using RMC or EPS-PT. So it is possible to maintain high weapon power levels! You just need to set things up correctly.
It's not possible to have any power level above 125 to my knowledge, so why bother getting to 134.8? Does the game keep track of excess power & make use of it if you dip below 125? If so it seems to defeat the 125 cap somewhat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teleon View Post
Now, in a cruiser, Iíd like to inform you that dealing high spike DPS is not your job! Healing Team mates and providing support is! One of the best combo attacks I feel a cruiser can provide in PVP is BFAW combined with APB!
Quote:
It works great in PVP & normal STFs, but I'm finding in elites it can't do enough DPS... Stopping raptors before they reach the Kang in Cure or killing the 4 probe spawns in KA is out of the question though.
I've already specifically stated this setup works well in PVP as it is, and that my problems were only in elite STFs when I'm trying to help with adds because PUG members don't seem to like winning, i.e. they'd rather let the Kang blow up or let probes through the Time Vortex. In this case I want consistent DPS, not spike. I want to be able to destroy a steady stream of targets at a reasonable pace, not blow 1-2 up in a few seconds. The setup as is works great for keeping AoE aggro and not dying in the process, or tossing heals to other people when needed. It just fails, unsurprisingly, when I'm forced into a role I didn't build it for. The thing is I have seen other cruisers tank successfully and still destroy targets a lot faster than I can so it's obviously possible to have a ship that does both, but as I said before they either don't say how they're able to do so or they give me advice that simply doesn't work, such as the person last night telling me a single EPS console would keep my weapon power at 80+.
Lt. Commander
# 17
05-17-2012, 08:00 PM
MallowOni, here is my current build: http://freemumble.ru/photo/eng.png
Power distribution is 100/50/25/25.
Its not perfrect and i know it. Eng + weapon power consoles need to be changed to neutronium alloys, and i know it, just dont want to spend money as it is not my primary character. And its pure pve, as i do not play pvp in sto at all.
But it still works fine in STF-s and does not have dps problems. May be it can give you some ideas...
Lt. Commander
# 18
05-17-2012, 08:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddaemon View Post
Skill layout is ... strange.
Why do you need aux performance for cruiser? For aux to *?
Energy weapon specialization is "absolutely must have" here, i think it will be wise to reduce all admiral level skills to 6/9 and get it.
I have eng galor, i use 7 beams and 1 tricobalt mine. Mine realy helps, aspecially if you want to stop probes\bops\raptors. i have no such problems, 4 probes are almost killed by single FAW.
Also 125 weapon power is "absolutely must have", it will increase dps a lot. Actualy with 100 power 8-th beam decrese dps instead of increasing it.
Also throw away those power transfer console, it does nothing from the moment they changed weapon power drain mechanics.

Also:
Use tac BO in universal station if you want DPS. Get attack pattern beta & omega. Get eject warp plasma, its really nice. Get tactical team.
Do not use more than 2 emergency power to * abilities as they have shared CD. I prefer to get 2*EPtS and set weapon preset to 100 reducing shield, which is compensated by EPtS.
You can change HE2 to HE1 (removing tractor beam) and get tractor beam repulsors. It will help to deal witn "defend" tasks.
For a Sci or Engi Weapon Specialization is not worth it. You can gain more weappower and less drain with that extra points in Weap performance. (135 cap or so)

Also because Weap specialization will add very little to a Engi or Sci anyway. And using torps and speccing torp's to max is even more inefficient. Theoretically speccing energy weap specialization will only boost your total DPS for about a few percent.

For tacts its a bit of a different story, since they can already up their CritC alot the weap specialization bonus is much more worth it. Also crit = about spike, something an engy will never do compared to a tactscort.

But thats just my opinion.
Lt. Commander
# 19
05-18-2012, 05:36 AM
Quote:
It's not possible to have any power level above 125 to my knowledge, so why bother getting to 134.8? Does the game keep track of excess power & make use of it if you dip below 125? If so it seems to defeat the 125 cap somewhat.
That is the potential amount you can gain access too. Therefore, when your weapon power starts to drop below 125, you use EPTW to gain that +15. This helps you maintain 125 in weapon power output.

Quote:
I've already specifically stated this setup works well in PVP as it is, and that my problems were only in elite STFs when I'm trying to help with adds because PUG members don't seem to like winning, i.e. they'd rather let the Kang blow up or let probes through the Time Vortex. In this case I want consistent DPS, not spike. I want to be able to destroy a steady stream of targets at a reasonable pace, not blow 1-2 up in a few seconds. The setup as is works great for keeping AoE aggro and not dying in the process, or tossing heals to other people when needed. It just fails, unsurprisingly, when I'm forced into a role I didn't build it for. The thing is I have seen other cruisers tank successfully and still destroy targets a lot faster than I can so it's obviously possible to have a ship that does both, but as I said before they either don't say how they're able to do so or they give me advice that simply doesn't work, such as the person last night telling me a single EPS console would keep my weapon power at 80+.
I see, well... try the method I described to you! Also, sometimes it is better to let your power level re-charge before firing all weapons again. Don't have your weapons cycle when power is low. you will increase your DPS by simply allowing a second or two for your weapons power to re-charge.
Lt. Commander
# 20
05-18-2012, 07:42 AM
Quote:
The funny thing is that most people who tell me they're able to keep their weapon power up with full beam arrays suddenly gets very quiet when I ask them how to do it, or they wind up giving advice that turns out to be rubbish when I try it out.

I'll try cutting down to 6 arrays & throwing in a hargh'peng fore & something else with some punch, tricobalt or Breen cluster torp maybe, for the aft slot.

They do take up active duty DOff slots however, and that's not something I think I can spare.

Truth be told, if you want to fully take advantage of the Rare -5 sec. DoFF's you need two torpedo launchers that reload in 10 seconds or less. Those two will fire off like a chain gun and reload the Har'ping in no time or the tricolbalt at around 20 seconds. You can overcome this by having one tube that you can fire multiple torpedo's using Torpedo High Yield and one tube tube of your choice, tricolbalt would be pushing it.

Just the Har'ping in front and Breen cluster in the back will be tremendously useful and not require 120 EDC from STF or BoFF skills(tac team will buff them too).