Lt. Commander
# 11
05-12-2012, 01:23 PM
Note, 20 year old tech is a bit outdated but in a game where dozens of 23rd (and even one 22nd) century designed ships are being pulled out of mothballs to equip newly minted officers, 20 years is still a relatively recent design in comparison.
Lt. Commander
# 12
05-12-2012, 01:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hypochondriacs
Weren't those attacking jem'hadar ships several decades old? How did they manage to put up such a good fight?
Same reason when you go back in time during the gateway mission your ship has a tough time with D7's. Called gameplay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by luclin999 View Post
Note, 20 year old tech is a bit outdated but in a game where dozens of 23rd (and even one 22nd) century designed ships are being pulled out of mothballs to equip newly minted officers, 20 years is still a relatively recent design in comparison.
Difference between design and age. Those 'old designs' are being built with the latest hull and shield tech, among all the other bits. The Jem'hadar ships in 2800 are still decked out fully with 20 year old tech and stuff.
Lt. Commander
# 13
05-12-2012, 08:40 PM
Yah, when you're taking out Borg cubes and Undine warships all by your lonesome the idea of decades old Jem`hadar attack ships still being a problem does give you pause if you think too much about these sorts of things. But there wouldn't be much of a story if you just went "Jem'hadar? LOL! *boom* Now what were we talking about before we were so rudely interrupted?"

I just took it as them catching everyone with their pants down and taking over DS9 before someone got their act together since later on you're blowing them up with ease as well.
Lt. Commander
# 14
05-13-2012, 05:03 AM
I think you have to take into account that they were very numerous, and the Federation wasn't exactly in the best position to deal with yet another armed war fleet. They would have a slight edge, but not in a 'final voyager episode' kind of way.
Lt. Commander
# 15
05-13-2012, 08:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hypochondriacs
Weren't those attacking jem'hadar ships several decades old? How did they manage to put up such a good fight?
decades ago those ships outmatched anything Alpha quad races had, it took an alliance of all the major superpowers at the time to send the dominion packing. If i recall they were more advanced technologically than the alpha quad races at the time.

And that means that while we are more technologically advanced now, it's quite obvious that we are basically caught up to them, so its more of a numbers game now.

So when Ds9 was taken over, there wasnt a fleet around Ds9 so they had the numbers advantage at the time, it was basically half a dozen ships against a few hundred? few thousand?
Lt. Commander
# 16
05-13-2012, 09:26 AM
The DS9 scene was still bad. When they took over OPS. Why the hell was it empty. It's like everyone was on a coffee break. Except the Commander. Granted 20 years have past. But is there really any difference in weapons and ship design from the dominion used in the game now. Then from the DS9 series? Not really. As for the Federation being aggressive. They have to. What are they gonna do? Go all Picard on them and get blown up, no. Even Picard has a breaking point and will kill to save his crew.
Lt. Commander
# 17
05-13-2012, 09:52 AM
the mechanics of an AK 47 didn't change in over 60 years...you are still dead if the bullet out of that gun hits you. Same goes for star trek ships. the tech maybe 200 years old...but it hurts anyway.

lets say 2800 Tiger tanks march towards your border...if you only have 200 tanks, even if they are oneshoting each tiger, the superior numbers will force you to retreat and search for alternatives.

in my opinion that featured episode was well written for a MMO or computer game. there have been many worse star trek episodes.
Lt. Commander
# 18
05-15-2012, 08:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raudl View Post
lets say 2800 Tiger tanks march towards your border...if you only have 200 tanks, even if they are oneshoting each tiger, the superior numbers will force you to retreat and search for alternatives.
I get your point and will not argue against it, however, I'm going to be pedantic and say you'll need more than 2800 Tigers.

All else aside from the tank types/era being equal, iirc the M1A2 can maintain 7 minutes of sustained fire at 6 rounds per minute without reloading. They can lethally engage the Tiger well outside 2 miles. The Tiger will take maybe 12 minutes to cover that 2 mile gap - unless they were going downhill, haha.

So maybe ~9000 Tigers will be needed to get more than 100 Tigers to point blank range against 200 M1A2 Abrams. - Ignoring crew fatigue, equipment breakdowns, and combat-pee breaks.

Sorry, I couldn't resist. The disparity between WWII technology and 21st century technology is so far apart, the numbers would have to be increased exponentially. And the remaining 100 or so Tigers will still have to deal with 200 Abrams after they reached the border. Even with a mobility kill, the Tigers will not be able to defeat the armor and cause a real kill.
Lt. Commander
# 19
05-15-2012, 04:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bacillix
I get your point and will not argue against it, however, I'm going to be pedantic and say you'll need more than 2800 Tigers.

All else aside from the tank types/era being equal, iirc the M1A2 can maintain 7 minutes of sustained fire at 6 rounds per minute without reloading. They can lethally engage the Tiger well outside 2 miles. The Tiger will take maybe 12 minutes to cover that 2 mile gap - unless they were going downhill, haha.

So maybe ~9000 Tigers will be needed to get more than 100 Tigers to point blank range against 200 M1A2 Abrams. - Ignoring crew fatigue, equipment breakdowns, and combat-pee breaks.

Sorry, I couldn't resist. The disparity between WWII technology and 21st century technology is so far apart, the numbers would have to be increased exponentially. And the remaining 100 or so Tigers will still have to deal with 200 Abrams after they reached the border. Even with a mobility kill, the Tigers will not be able to defeat the armor and cause a real kill.
prolly not the best usage as technology advancements seem to run at a slower pace in Trek than they did from WWII to now. 30 years then might not be more than 5 years for us as a comparison. In that effect you're more than likely dealing with the exact same tech.

also it's been far longer since WWII. (67 years since the peace treaty)
Lt. Commander
# 20
05-17-2012, 01:29 PM
And let us not forget that development cycles are getting longer and longer. In WW2 you could get a fighter aircraft from drawing board to IOC in about a year. Now that takes at least 15 years. And I bet the tech in Star Trek is a bit more comlex than 21st century fighter aircraft.