Lt. Commander
# 31
05-17-2012, 04:57 PM
It is a nice effort, but ultimately a failed concept.

This is not the same thing as a ducted fan, a ducted fan is enclosed only around the outside edge, it still has an intake and an exhaust. This concept is completely enclosed.

As others have tried to explain you will not gain thrust from an internally isolated device that in no way interacts with the outside universe.

As other have noted in thrust gained by moving air is lost by redirecting air. If you are depending upon the pressure differentials then the high pressure on the bottom side of the air foil is canceled out by the high pressure against the lower side of the containment, and the low pressure on the foil is like wise canceled out by low pressure against the upper wall of the containment.

And just to save people some time, a self contained, internally inertial imbalance will not provide thrust either.

I would also like to encourage you to keep trying.
Lt. Commander
# 32
05-17-2012, 06:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by WarpVis View Post
This is not the same thing as a ducted fan, a ducted fan is enclosed only around the outside edge, it still has an intake and an exhaust. This concept is completely enclosed.
The comparison to ducted fans arose when I noted that if you opened it up (i.e. gave it an intake and outlet to allow for actual thrust), it would be a ducted fan with airfoils downstream of the fan.
Lt. Commander
# 33
05-19-2012, 12:19 PM
I don't see how this is supposed to work. To generate movement the engine needs to generate force that works against something outside the engine. Am I missing something? Where is that happening here?
Lt. Commander
# 34
05-19-2012, 04:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tosmonkey
I don't see how this is supposed to work. To generate movement the engine needs to generate force that works against something outside the engine. Am I missing something? Where is that happening here?
You will know by tomorrow.
Lt. Commander
# 35
05-19-2012, 04:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tosmonkey
I think he's trying to convince us that pressure differentials inside an enclosed container will push said container. The problem is he's neglecting that the air will push down on the container on the opposite side. I have no idea what he's thinking about heat dissipation since so far he's only added more and more heat.

Funny enough, just having a big honkin radiator to spray the heat out one side as blackbody radiation probably would propel the thing, although only slightly.

Hmmmm reading this thread just gave me a cute idea of how to build a gravity sensor.
Lt. Commander
# 36
05-19-2012, 04:50 PM
I developed a very efficient gravity sensor once, but I got arrested for spitting off buildings during the final phase of testing.