Lt. Commander
# 151
05-16-2012, 08:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilarta View Post
EDIT:

I had this thought later on.
I'm not sure if it means anything, but I thought i'd put it out there.
It's kinda crazy, but software bugs defy the law of logic as we know it.

I never purchased the Counselor Troi costume!
Could there be a glitch relating to non-acquistion of this item, assets not installed on my computer or something along those lines because I haven't unlocked the outfit for my account?

Going along with this line of reasoning, there's also some ship costume packs I haven't purchased, all Federation.
And it's fed ships that are causing the crashes in space.
This is a non-issue... Even though you have not purchased the Counselor Troi costume, other people have, and your Client will have to display the properties of other players in the same scene you are...
Lt. Commander
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperTank
Also, my exact error message from hog_errors.log is :
120208 04:11:17 2 InvalidType[1]: Error decompressing data. Verifying Files in the launcher may fix this issue.: texture_library/costumes/Avatars/Klingon/M_Uniformu_Klingon_01_Nx.wtex:
120208 04:11:17 3 InvalidType[1]: Read wrong number of bytes: texture_library/costumes/Avatars/Klingon/M_Uniformu_Klingon_01_Nx.wtex: 13
I had almost the same issuse myself, but it wasn't Klingon, it was some other costume piece. I was running through a map and randomly got the decompression error, then when i closed STO and tried to re-lanch, I couldn't launch. Launcher logs in and get to "Patching..." bar but freezes there. I already had the latest patch...so I uninstalled STO and re-downloaded from the site via torrent and re-installed to no avail. I am currently uninstalling, thoroughly cleaning my registry and pc with CCleaner, and manually deleting the "Cryptic Studios" folder from C:\Users\Public\Games which will delete all STO .hogg and .pigg and every other file, then I'll try to re-install. If that doesn't work, I'll delete all the crap again and the new download and I'll install from my physical STO disc and see if that works.

Also on a side note: I had just finished installing Diablo 3 when the decompression error occurred. I know the other posts here were before that game came out, but on the off chance this is some weird kind of conflict, I will uninstall Diablo 3 and reinstall STO and see if that works (assuming my current idea doesn't).

I'll update this when I have tried these solutions to let others know if they do or don't work.

Anyone have any idea how to fix this?
Lt. Commander
# 153
05-17-2012, 10:47 AM
I'm having this issue now

My hogg_errors.log file says:

Quote:
20517 17:37:14 10 [1]: Error decompressing data. Verifying Files in the launcher may fix this issue.: texture_library/costumes/Ships/Borg/Ship_Brg_All_Type2_Nx.wtex:
120517 17:37:14 11 [1]: Read wrong number of bytes: texture_library/costumes/Ships/Borg/Ship_Brg_All_Type2_Nx.wtex: 13
I have deleted texture.hogg, texture2.hogg and texture3.hogg and I am now patching the game again, hopefully that works.

I have flown into a system that causes the error, so every time the game loads it crashes instantly after loading the system.

This better fix it or I cannot play any more

-- EDIT -- This has fixed my problem yay!
Lt. Commander
# 154
05-18-2012, 09:31 AM
Have you tried Options > Force Verify and let that complete ?

You can try disabling on demand patching and see if that helps too.

You can try logging into another character, lower the video/graphic effects, and then go back and login to the trouble character to see if that helps.

If you need further help, please let us know in a customer support ticket if it only happens on one character, that character’s name, and any quest(s) you were doing and where you were in the game.
Lt. Commander
# 155
05-18-2012, 11:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by darthpanda16 View Post
Have you tried Options > Force Verify and let that complete ?
I did - see ticket 120203-000053. Note that it has been open since february 3rd.

Quote:
You can try disabling on demand patching and see if that helps too.
Done. No change.

Quote:
You can try logging into another character, lower the video/graphic effects, and then go back and login to the trouble character to see if that helps.
Done a number of times. No change. Still cryptic is unable to provide information about WHEN that texture is used, or if there's an alternative one, and when it would or would not be used.

Quote:
If you need further help, please let us know in a customer support ticket if it only happens on one character, that character’s name, and any quest(s) you were doing and where you were in the game.
See above. Not that it helps, it took them a month to provide an answer and the answer was "your computer overheats instantly when you hail lt.ferra, but works fine for days if you don't."

Typical cryptic customer support: useless, blatantly incompetent, and arrogant.
Glad to see i'm not the only one though

EDIT: what if we compile a list of what cryptic tells you to try, so we all get that over with and make sure support actually LOOKS into it without spending months doing one stupid thing after another?
Lt. Commander
# 156
05-18-2012, 11:20 PM
[quote=DarkChaosBunnies;4218561]I had almost the same issuse myself, but it wasn't Klingon, it was some other costume piece. I was running through a map and randomly got the decompression error, then when i closed STO and tried to re-lanch, I couldn't launch. Launcher logs in and get to "Patching..." bar but freezes there.[/qupte]

that's cause game client.exe does not crash - it stays there, frozen. you have to open the process manager and kill it, then it'll proceed with the crypticerror thingie and relaunch normally. Took me a couple days to figure this out
Quote:
wish I did
Lt. Commander
# 157
05-18-2012, 11:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grouchy.Otaku
The thing is, I've never suffered any of the issues described in this thread on my Windows Vista machine.... If it was actually a coding issue, then I should be suffering these issues.... And the fact that I don't implies that its not a coding issue but something else...
Do not make assumptions based on things you don't fully understand. This IS a coding issue. Why am I so sure?

1- It's SYSTEMATIC. When it happens to someone, it ALWAYS happens in the same conditions, and can be reproduced. This rules out driver interaction problems and memory issues.
2- Removing the software and reinstalling it doesn't either fix nor move it to any other file, texture, or situation. Also force verify ends normally. So the HDDs are ruled out as well.
3- The game does not CRASH. It ENDS with a cryptic-originated error message (and they're not even able to actually close their software correctly...) - there's a clean log file specifying the error, the error is identified by the software.
4- It's called a DECOMPRESSION error in a hogg file - as hoggs are compressed, any failure in reading bytes would corrupt the entire file... not just one single texture.
5- It can be reproduced in instants by reproducing the situation - in my case, it's contacting lt.ferra or anyone who has a similar uniform (feet, apparently). I can do it anytime I want, or play the game 20 hours straight provided i never go near starfleet academy, cash in commendations, or land at stations. This rules out any hardware problem, as hardware problems occur independently of the game status, and are related to either heat, time, or memory/hdd "locations", or random fluctuations. Neither of this will ever be able to be triggered by a single, clean, and repeateble action for dozens of times.
6- if it were a texture error, it would happen to everyone on the same texture, but it's not. So it must be code.

Your information gave me a lot more to add to my support ticket report... thanks. If any solution is found, please share.
I'll also urge you guys to repeatedly and aggressively demand that cryptic fixes the fact the gameclient doesn't correctly close (if that happens to all of you) but must be killed via task manager. That'll provide them (and us?) with a LOT more information from those who are not technically savvy enough to figure out by themselves that...
the CRYPTIC ERROR REPORT SYSTEM IS BUGGED!!!

EDIT: and sorry about the triple post.
Lt. Commander
# 158
05-20-2012, 12:02 AM
I had this problem on some of the Romulan missions it can go through one of them fine and crash on another vefify files is useless and I gave my game files to one of my freinds and he got the same issue on intergrated graphics (i have dedicated so no problem there). I uninstalled and reinstalled the game and havent had the issue since. Although since it dosent happen in a particular mission maybe its not fixed.

Edit: I used the torrent download option because I don't like the file download rubbish that gets installed with mmo's
Lt. Commander
# 159
05-20-2012, 05:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by calimar View Post
Do not make assumptions based on things you don't fully understand. This IS a coding issue. Why am I so sure?

5- It can be reproduced in instants by reproducing the situation - in my case, it's contacting lt.ferra or anyone who has a similar uniform (feet, apparently). I can do it anytime I want, or play the game 20 hours straight provided i never go near starfleet academy, cash in commendations, or land at stations. This rules out any hardware problem, as hardware problems occur independently of the game status, and are related to either heat, time, or memory/hdd "locations", or random fluctuations. Neither of this will ever be able to be triggered by a single, clean, and repeateble action for dozens of times.
EDIT: and sorry about the triple post.
So... Can you reproduce the issue on another machine.... If it is a coding issue, then it must be reproducible on more then a single machine...

Also, claiming that it must be coding issue doesn't explain why I can do all of the above items with my characters on my Client with no issues at all.... Unless you can explain why this 'coding issue' doesn't occur on other player's Clients, no one is going to take this 'coding issue' claim seriously...

(Come on now... this is down to basics debugging technique... That is, if you do know what your talking about...)
Lt. Commander
# 160
05-23-2012, 02:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkChaosBunnies View Post
I had almost the same issuse myself, but it wasn't Klingon, it was some other costume piece. I was running through a map and randomly got the decompression error, then when i closed STO and tried to re-lanch, I couldn't launch. Launcher logs in and get to "Patching..." bar but freezes there. I already had the latest patch...so I uninstalled STO and re-downloaded from the site via torrent and re-installed to no avail. I am currently uninstalling, thoroughly cleaning my registry and pc with CCleaner, and manually deleting the "Cryptic Studios" folder from C:\Users\Public\Games which will delete all STO .hogg and .pigg and every other file, then I'll try to re-install. If that doesn't work, I'll delete all the crap again and the new download and I'll install from my physical STO disc and see if that works.

Also on a side note: I had just finished installing Diablo 3 when the decompression error occurred. I know the other posts here were before that game came out, but on the off chance this is some weird kind of conflict, I will uninstall Diablo 3 and reinstall STO and see if that works (assuming my current idea doesn't).

I'll update this when I have tried these solutions to let others know if they do or don't work.

I uninstalled STO and tried to delete the Cryptic Studios folder but I was told I don't have administrator access (which I do, I am on the admin account on my machine) but I WAS able to delete all of the individual hogg and pigg files inside the folder, once I did that and reinstalled it worked fine. Haven't had the error since. Hope this works for others too.