Lt. Commander
# 11
05-19-2012, 08:44 AM
I love woghd's response to this at sbugc.
Quote:
Your responder doesn’t exactly pass the Turing test…
Lt. Commander
# 12
05-19-2012, 11:01 AM
LOL, the answers just reminded me of the repair station's responses in ENT:"Dead Stop"

Lt. Commander
# 13
05-19-2012, 03:50 PM
Thanks for going through the old posts and questions on this and getting our answers for us! Means a lot since some of them were ones I asked myself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woghd
LOL, the answers just reminded me of the repair station's responses in ENT:"Dead Stop"

LoL xD
Lt. Commander
# 14
05-19-2012, 04:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_Revo
It may not be the most exigent way of writing it but whats the problem you see with the sentance?

Nothing in the EULA prevents this - There is no legal barrier to stop you from doing the above mentioned action

Please refer to the EULA for a list of “Star Trek Properties - work within the guidelines of the properties owned by CBS. ie dont use harry potter in your mission or have the USS optimus prime save the day.
ah but your missing the trick.

New Game Materials may utilize the Star Trek Properties as provided by CBS and Cryptic Studios unless otherwise specified in the Prohibited Uses section below. You may use the names of characters (past or present) from the Star Trek Properties.

Star Trek Properties are defined as including:

Star Trek - The Original Series
Star Trek - The Next Generation
Star Trek - Deep Space Nine
Star Trek - Voyager
Star Trek - Enterprise
Star Trek - The Motion Picture
Star Trek II - The Wrath of Kahn
Star Trek III - The Search for Spock
Star Trek IV - The Voyage Home
Star Trek V - The Final Frontier
Star Trek VI - The Undiscovered Country
Star Trek - Generations
Star Trek - First Contact
Star Trek - Insurrection
Star Trek - Nemesis

from this point i could use anything i wanted to from these source materials. now the next part

Prohibited Uses of the Star Trek Properties:

You may not use the first or last names, likenesses, or other depictions of any actors appearing in, or writers, directors, or producers of the Star Trek Properties.

at this point all established characters are nullified. unless they DONT look like the established characters

You may not use copyrighted content from the Properties, including but not limited to web content, promotional materials (posters, advertisements) or existing licensed merchandise (novels, trading cards, figurines).

Well seeing as the first list contains a list of copyrighted materials..... How does this work?

its like telling a town it can build a bridge across the river to the other town provided the bridge has zero environmental impact.

but thats my take on it. seems liek it walking around in circles
Lt. Commander
# 15
05-19-2012, 09:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmdraftbrn View Post
You may not use copyrighted content from the Properties, including but not limited to web content, promotional materials (posters, advertisements) or existing licensed merchandise (novels, trading cards, figurines).

Well seeing as the first list contains a list of copyrighted materials..... How does this work?
I believe it means you can only use things made for the TV Shows and Movies. You can't use characters or copyrighted material from novels and the rest the stuff listed there.

For example, you can't use "Commander Christine Vale" from the Star Trek Titan novel series.

That sentence should be re-worded to say that you can't use Star Trek stuff from outside the Movies and TV series.

I could be completely wrong though.
Lt. Commander
# 16
05-19-2012, 10:08 PM
Nah, it's very clear.

It's easy to make something simple sound complicated tho. The answers are clear and straightforward. Common sense also plays here. Michael Dorn's face belongs to Michael Dorn. Worf's image belongs to CBS. If anyone has doubts about some content, simply ask first, or don't use it. But it seems pretty straightforward to me. Common sense should guide folks through any remaining grey areas. Of course there will always be those who are looking for a loophole or exploit, or who are waiting for someone to use a loophole or exploit on them. That can't be helped.

Somebody might correct me if I am wrong, but I don't believe that Cryptic or CBS has ever sued any of it's players for copyright infringement, or even (again correct me if I am wrong) pulled a Foundry mission? That's probably because the authors have tended to behave and not push limits, while Cryptic and CBS have been very easy going about it, and why not?

They own the foundry content anyway. Who would they sue? Themselves?
Lt. Commander
# 17
05-20-2012, 07:18 PM
This FAQ is a total game changer for me.

I've had workarounds for things that apparently no longer need workarounds.

Among other things, this basically frees up every canon Jem'Hadar, Ferengi, Hirogen, Klingon, and Cardassian for the Foundry.

I mention those specifically because those are all species where they were able to use actors' doubles facing the camera and where they would allow actors to play multiple characters even in the same episode. In fact, there was a rule about actors having to wait several years between appearances on Trek if the actor could be recognized from an out of makeup role and this was, specifically, waived for actors playing Klingons, Cardassians, Jem'Hadar, Hirogen, and Ferengi.

For example, they let David Warner play Gorkon and Madred within a short span of having appeared out of makeup as a human in Star Trek V, under the rationale that neither Gorkon nor Madred were recognizable as Warner.

So this pretty much opens up Quark, Dukat, Garak, Neelix (again, the rule was waived for him appearing out of makeup, indicating Paramount didn't consider him recognizable as Neelix), Worf (who gets covered twice here, both as an NPC and as a makeup covered person), Odo, Martok, Dathon... A TON of canon characters.
Lt. Commander
# 18
05-20-2012, 07:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmdraftbrn View Post
ah but your missing the trick.

New Game Materials may utilize the Star Trek Properties as provided by CBS and Cryptic Studios unless otherwise specified in the Prohibited Uses section below. You may use the names of characters (past or present) from the Star Trek Properties.

Star Trek Properties are defined as including:

Star Trek - The Original Series
Star Trek - The Next Generation
Star Trek - Deep Space Nine
Star Trek - Voyager
Star Trek - Enterprise
Star Trek - The Motion Picture
Star Trek II - The Wrath of Kahn
Star Trek III - The Search for Spock
Star Trek IV - The Voyage Home
Star Trek V - The Final Frontier
Star Trek VI - The Undiscovered Country
Star Trek - Generations
Star Trek - First Contact
Star Trek - Insurrection
Star Trek - Nemesis

from this point i could use anything i wanted to from these source materials. now the next part

Prohibited Uses of the Star Trek Properties:

You may not use the first or last names, likenesses, or other depictions of any actors appearing in, or writers, directors, or producers of the Star Trek Properties.

at this point all established characters are nullified. unless they DONT look like the established characters

its like telling a town it can build a bridge across the river to the other town provided the bridge has zero environmental impact.

but thats my take on it. seems liek it walking around in circles
I can explain this.

Story elements are not copyrighted except when taken together... and it's generally a TRADEMARK rather than COPYRIGHT issue to create stories with Klingons or a starship Enterprise.

Specific, fixed executions of a story are copyrighted. Fair use permits use of copyrighted material to provide commentary or illustration but the concern is with stealing the "heart" of a work.

In short, what this says is not to recreate episodes or movies. You can reference them. You can quote them. You can use elements, ideas, or characters from them. You cannot adapt an episode wholesale and I think it may be debatable whether you can summarize an episode so completely as to render watching the episode moot, basically.
Lt. Commander
# 19
05-20-2012, 07:32 PM
Also, I may be off but I think that statement may specifically mean "copyrighted content DERIVED from the Properties" which is intended to bar authors from referencing to the novels, dictionaries, RPG source books, video games etc.

I would like it if Cryptic could get a specific exemption for "The Needs of the Many" since it is a STO tie-in novel.
Lt. Commander
# 20
05-20-2012, 07:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathan99
This FAQ is a total game changer for me.

I've had workarounds for things that apparently no longer need workarounds.

Among other things, this basically frees up every canon Jem'Hadar, Ferengi, Hirogen, Klingon, and Cardassian for the Foundry.

I mention those specifically because those are all species where they were able to use actors' doubles facing the camera and where they would allow actors to play multiple characters even in the same episode. In fact, there was a rule about actors having to wait several years between appearances on Trek if the actor could be recognized from an out of makeup role and this was, specifically, waived for actors playing Klingons, Cardassians, Jem'Hadar, Hirogen, and Ferengi.

For example, they let David Warner play Gorkon and Madred within a short span of having appeared out of makeup as a human in Star Trek V, under the rationale that neither Gorkon nor Madred were recognizable as Warner.

So this pretty much opens up Quark, Dukat, Garak, Neelix (again, the rule was waived for him appearing out of makeup, indicating Paramount didn't consider him recognizable as Neelix), Worf (who gets covered twice here, both as an NPC and as a makeup covered person), Odo, Martok, Dathon... A TON of canon characters.
But they don't really define it. What if the eyes are likeness?