Lt. Commander
# 41
05-21-2012, 08:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RKRider
You young wipper snappers and your fancy MS-DOS.

It'll never catch on.

It'll never be as good as EMPIRE was played on TRS-DOS on my Tandy Model I

For you youngings....this was the REAL 1st home computer, predated Comodore Pet, apple, IBM... all of 'em

As a note... EMPIRE grew up to be CIVILIZATION by Sid Meijer
One of my all-time favourites was Empire . Back in the day my brother and I made maps of Earth and challenged my old man to beat us. We would secretly colluded using a RISK board (the old Risk with the pegs and triangles) while he took his turns. Man I must be older than I thought...

Btw this game community is still alive and well, now run by Killer Bee. A new version was released a few years back.

Iíve played almost all of these games in this thread. Here are a few more I donít think I saw mentioned:
Wolf Pack
Fantasy Empires
TSR D&D games (There were lots of them, but Dragonlance was my first hexagonal grid game)
Transport Tycoon (Now open source with active community)
Kingís Quest
Police Quest
Space Quest
Leisure Suit Larry
Hoyle
The Black Cauldron
Pursue the Pennant (Now Diamond Mind Baseball)
Lt. Commander
# 42
05-21-2012, 09:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RKRider
You young wipper snappers and your fancy MS-DOS.

It'll never catch on.

It'll never be as good as EMPIRE was played on TRS-DOS on my Tandy Model I

For you youngings....this was the REAL 1st home computer, predated Comodore Pet, apple, IBM... all of 'em

As a note... EMPIRE grew up to be CIVILIZATION by Sid Meijer
In 1980 we were one of a few high schools that had a omputer lab (IE a teletype terminal hooked in via acoustic 110 baud modem - three TRS-80's, on with an impact printer); and I was the senior cjass top computer nerd, already accepted to CSUN's impacted (IE they only took 300 freshmen a semester - the minimum the state required at the time) Computer Science program (was going for a programmin g degree.)

To get an easy A, I signed up sore the senior computer's class; but since the instructor know I already knew the material - he asked me instead to do a project on my own - so I decided to write a Star Wars game where you were the pilot of an X-Wing; you flew in range of the DeathStar - blew away one to three TIE fighters (random); then flew down the 'trench' avoiding a TIE fighter on your tail (if he hit you after dropping your shields, you blew up and failed) - and if you launched your proton torpedo at the right time - blew up the DeathStar <---- All on a TRS-80 Model IIII using the TRS-80's promative white line graphics and ASCII characters.

Got an A+ at the end of the year after submitting the final copy of the working game on disk, and a pritout of te BASIC source code with the comment on the printout - "I don't know how you managed to do this because I honestly cannout figure out how a good portion of your coide actually works (I guess because I used a few memory peeks and pokes to do some effects) - but I played your game for a couple of hours and it definitely works; so you code must be good, - A+".
Lt. Commander
# 43
05-21-2012, 09:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobayashi Maru
Police Quest
Space Quest
Oh yeah, I remember those! I used to play Space Quest 3 all the time. I couldn't beat it, but I found new interactions and got closer each time.

I tried playing Police Quest 2, I think. I didn't get very far with that one. I successfully got through maybe 2 traffic stops, but just couldn't figure out how to safely arrest the guy in the next one. I must've spent hours trying to figure out the right things to do. I'd be giving the bad guy commands:

"Open your door!"
"Get out of the car!"
"Hands up!"
"Walk towards me!"
"Stop!"
"Lie down on the ground!"

Then I'd walk over to cuff him and he'd draw a gun and shoot me anyway. Arghhh!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armsman View Post
Got an A+ at the end of the year after submitting the final copy of the working game on disk, and a pritout of te BASIC source code with the comment on the printout - "I don't know how you managed to do this because I honestly cannout figure out how a good portion of your coide actually works (I guess because I used a few memory peeks and pokes to do some effects) - but I played your game for a couple of hours and it definitely works; so you code must be good, - A+".
Heh, I remember a guy in my C++ class. He could write entire programs on a single, short line in less than a minute. The rest of us would spend the whole class typing out a page of code. He was truly a natural.
Lt. Commander
# 44
05-21-2012, 09:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armsman View Post
...because I used a few memory peeks and pokes to do some effects) - but I played your game for a couple of hours and it definitely works; so you code must be good, - A+".
Said with respect ".... You hacker...."

Some of us remember when being a "hacker" was truely a compliment.

I cut my teeth on 6502, then went to 6809 (my personal fav.... no more swaping MSB/LMB) then 8088 and up the food chain...

My favorite 6809 command used in the TRS-80 CoCo was

DISKNMI BRA DISKNMI

Called an endless loop when you sent a command to the disk controller, which when finished would fire an NMI breaking the loop. If it never finished....well... hung OS!

Those where the days..... no fancy multi processor thingyies..... a processor work damned hard on one task and if it didn't go right, it just stopped. No fancy pretty boy blue screens with helpful error messages.... a real programmer had to guess!!!
Lt. Commander
# 45
05-21-2012, 12:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobayashi Maru
Space Quest
For fans of Space Quest, be sure to check out the Two Guys' (creators of Space Quest) Kickstarter for a new game. I'm super excited about it!