Go Back   Star Trek Online > Information and Discussion > Ten Forward
Login

Lt. Commander
# 11
05-19-2012, 08:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MustrumRidcully View Post
It could be, but you may also be giving the film more credit then it deserves.
I'll be the first to admit that. But why NOT do it? It turned a crappy popcorn flick into a good sci-fi movie, and if the writers had no intention of doing it, does that matter?
Lt. Commander
# 12
05-19-2012, 08:14 AM
Quote:
I'll be the first to admit that. But why NOT do it? It turned a crappy popcorn flick into a good sci-fi movie, and if the writers had no intention of doing it, does that matter?
I don't think it makes the movie actually good, though. You'd still have all the stupid moments in the movie - like the guy breakng into a super market to steal a burrito for a woman, and that woman falling for this guy... Or that they don't immediately start working on a plan to destroy that communication array. I am pretty certain they realize what the aliens are after while they still have their destroyer with those fancy missiles...
Lt. Commander
# 13
05-19-2012, 08:15 AM
Maybe that flash was from a war the alien fought a few years ago, and he was having post traumatic stress flashbacks to the time of war, when he was captured back then?

If someone in DS9 was captured, and someone had a flash of them fighting in the Dominion War, or say Sisko using those trilithium gas torpedos on the Maquis colony, with no context, only that brief flash of violence and mass destruction, wouldn't the same conclusions be drawn?

I must say, I'm rather enjoying this thread.
Lt. Commander
# 14
05-19-2012, 10:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MustrumRidcully View Post
I don't think it makes the movie actually good, though. You'd still have all the stupid moments in the movie - like the guy breakng into a super market to steal a burrito for a woman, and that woman falling for this guy... Or that they don't immediately start working on a plan to destroy that communication array. I am pretty certain they realize what the aliens are after while they still have their destroyer with those fancy missiles...
I also won't argue that there aren't stupid parts of the movie. But the burrito was funny, and someone willing to do that sort of ridiculousness...? (It goes to his characterization as a stubborn idiot, too).

My silliest moment was them powersliding the Missouri, but by that point the awesomeness of the badass grandpas was overpowering it.
Lt. Commander
# 15
05-19-2012, 11:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by stargate525 View Post
That quite frankly, makes it all the better.
Lt. Commander
# 16
05-20-2012, 09:50 PM
First contact all the way. The scene where that stupid LT and his equally stupid crew were poking at the alien in their cargo bay is a good example. The aliens broke in, DID NOT KILL anyone and just took there man.

I am an ex-Navy Petty Officer First Class and let me tell you folks something, NO ONE is that fraking dumb. No one just joinns the Navy at 26 years old and becomes an Officer. They need a college degree and a trip to OCS and follow on training. This idiot was too old to go to the Academy in Annapolis, MD. And further more a LCDR wears shoulder boards that have two thick gold stripes seperated by a skinny gold stripe which in turn are spaced by black on either side (awards ceremony scene).

The USS Missouri would have most likely ripped itself in half pulling that little anchor drop stunt not to mention that crew of 'Old Salts' would most likely have died of coronary infauction the minute they saw that alien ship. And for fraks sake, a foriegn military commander would NEVER EVER be given command under any circumstances of a US Combat vessel or any or any other vessel to say the least. And where were the JNAP callsigns? And I think OS2 Robyn "Rihanna" Fenty could have just left her cover in the water, it really was not that important!

I think this movie had potential, great effects but horrid storyline and cheesy Battleship the Game references! I wish the aliens would have won.
Lt. Commander
# 17
05-21-2012, 09:44 PM
Remember, this is the Hollywood U.S. Navy, where the undisciplined jerk is guaranteed to make captain through a combination of attrition and his own hidden superior command skills. (Kirk in the JJ movie?)

As for it being a first-contact-gone-bad movie, that might make it a DVD hit, kind of like watching "The Wizard of Oz" while listening to "Dark Side of the Moon."

As for me, I won't spend a dime to see it, even if there was a half hour of nothing but Rihanna sunbathing.

There isn't, is there?
Lt. Commander
# 18
05-21-2012, 11:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tavenji View Post
There isn't, is there?
*chuckles* No, there isn't.

There is, however, a pretty good repair montage, and the Missouri powersliding into a broadside, while completely preposterous, is kinda cool in the 'this is so ridiculous I've stopped caring' sense.

And spektre12, my grandfather was a WWII navy vet, and I've had the privilege of knowing several others. I honestly think that those guys were acting precisely like they would have in real life. I have never met a larger group of hardasses and reflexively brave.
Lt. Commander
# 19
05-22-2012, 12:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tavenji View Post
There isn't, is there?
Quote:
*chuckles* No, there isn't.
But there could be...

Mustrum "Cheese Sketch Redux?" Ridcully
Lt. Commander
# 20
05-22-2012, 01:12 AM
Quote:
And spektre12, my grandfather was a WWII navy vet, and I've had the privilege of knowing several others. I honestly think that those guys were acting precisely like they would have in real life. I have never met a larger group of hardasses and reflexively brave.
My Grandfather was a WWII vet as well and he'd be 91 by now. So, you can imagine my disbelief. I never said they didn't act like 'Old Salts' or that I thought it was uncool. I just just can't believe that they'd be around the ship waiting to sail off, in uniform no less. As far as the technical side of an old boat like that, yes they would be invalueble.