Lt. Commander
Edit: USS Chin'toka, Bajoran-retrofit deep space patrol cruiser fully operational.

Next project - USS Relativity-A, Odyssey Prototype Scientific Cruiser
[Link to ship naming thread]

Over the past few months I've more or less noticed the Gal-R being mentioned as the second-rate choice for an endgame C-store ship. One or two commenters even publicly aired their distaste for the Gal-R as "their pilots don't know what they're doing" or similar statements.

And that's exactly why I'll be flying the Galaxy Retrofit this weekend. I have a feeling this ship isn't as bad as it looks. And I'm not aiming to min-max this ship but simply use it as what it is - a Star Cruiser with Saucer Separation.

I have a certain character for max DPS tactical blasting but that's not why I play Star Trek Online for. I rarely play my Tac now because there's only so many times you can destroy the same Borg targets over and over again. Optionals don't even feel satisfying. I prefer shoring up the new pilots on PUGs and fighting like a mad dog for victory just like a disaster space battle on DS9 TV

I do have a certain love for TNG era ships and especially the Galaxy class which not only served as the vanguard for Starfleet's diplomatic and exploration missions in the 24th Century, but bravely stood up against the Dominion threat as well in lieu of a Federation battleship.

So here's one for the ol' gal, and I'll be posting stories of fails, random explosions and other space drama here over the next few days
Lt. Commander
# 2
05-25-2012, 01:48 AM
It's a really good ship for PvE but I haven't tested it extensively in PvP or STFs yet. After saucer separation it turns as fast as science ships in my opinion.

I'm thinking about installing 3x dual beam banks for elite STFs.

Looking forward to your mission reports
Lt. Commander
# 3
05-25-2012, 02:01 AM
I to am a fond fave of the galaxy and after so long of using my tactical, im now leveling my engineer just for the reason of getting on, i look forward to see your exploits
Lt. Commander
# 4
05-25-2012, 02:08 AM
it's not that the galaxy R is a bad ship per se. Only that the oddy does everthing the galaxy R does, only better.
you can argue now that the galaxy R costs 1600cpoints and the oddy with saucer seperation 2000, but for tanking the suacer seperation is irrelevant anyway. And if you remove the saucer sep console, you have a starcruiser that has 1000k more hull and 1 turrate less. And thats what people don't agree to pay 1600 cpoints for.

If you like the design, though not 100% correct (neck part has wrong angle), go for it you will enjoy it.
Lt. Commander
# 5
05-25-2012, 02:10 AM
To be honest, I don't really see how it can be that bad - certainly, I still see a healthy number of them and players (who know what they're doing) flying them in STF's seem as capable as those flying Odyssey's.

Perhaps that is because players who know what they're doing are more liable to use Galaxy-R's vs the Odyssey class being depicted/advertised as the zenith of Starfleet design which attracts non-experienced insta-Admirals more.
Lt. Commander
# 6
05-25-2012, 02:23 AM
tbh, the odyssey for 400 more cryptics points is a better ship more hp, better shield modifer, 1 more console slot and with all 4 consoles reduces the saucer seperation cooldown and other stuff.

Only thing going for the galaxy is its free after 600 day veteran reward (free ship token) and is 400 cp cheaper for f2p players.

But, thats just me
Lt. Commander
# 7
05-25-2012, 04:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by reyan01
To be honest, I don't really see how it can be that I still see a healthy number of them and players (who know what they're doing) flying them in STF's seem as capable as those flying Odyssey's.
You can fly anything in an STF and make it work. No kidding, people have don them in shuttles.

As was said anything the R can do the Assault cruiser or Oddy can do better, other than being a full aux healbot which is not helpful to anyone in PvE or PvP.
Lt. Commander
# 8
05-25-2012, 06:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by carmenara
And that's exactly why I'll be flying the Galaxy Retrofit this weekend. I have a feeling this ship isn't as bad as it looks. And I'm not aiming to min-max this ship but simply use it as what it is - a Star Cruiser with Saucer Separation.

My issues with the ship come from the unnecessary extra Engineer Ensign which basically forces you into a copy of Eng Team 1 and isn't as useful as having an extra Sci Ensign (ex: Star Cruiser) or Tac Ensign (ex: Assault Cruiser) - so two "free" ships you can get at L40 are basically better designed.

Then you have a base turn rate which is again worse that two free ships (both the AC and SC have base 7, Gal-R base 6).

On the Klingon side you have the Negh'var which is basically a Gal-R with a turnrate of 9 and is also free.

Then, on the paid side you have the Gal-X which has the AC BOFF slots, a cloaking device and a Phaser Lance which makes it overall a better package at 2K Cpoints vs. the Gal-R for 1600, as well as the Excelsior, and the elephant in the room The Odyssey Class Cruiser(s).

All of that paints a pretty sad picture for one of, if not the most, iconic ships in all of the Star Trek IP.

Does that mean the ship doesn't function at all, or will provide such an awful experience as to make your life worse? No.

Can a good captain make it work? Yes, of course.

It does mean, that from a design perspective that it is probably the least competitive ship at endgame.
Lt. Commander
# 9
05-25-2012, 06:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by USS_Ultimatum
My issues with the ship come from the unnecessary extra Engineer Ensign which basically forces you into a copy of Eng Team 1 and isn't as useful as having an extra Sci Ensign (ex: Star Cruiser) or Tac Ensign (ex: Assault Cruiser) - so two "free" ships you can get at L40 are basically better designed.
You can always substitue the ensign spot with Emergency Power to (power here). I particularly like having Emergency Power to Engines.
Lt. Commander
# 10
05-25-2012, 06:59 AM
I regularly use the Galaxy-R during non-STF PvE. When I do the STFs, it's usually in my GX. Still, the times I've used the GR, she's done just fine. People argue that GR pilots need to learn how to fly, I argue that GR pilots do it with style and a lot less bells and whistles