Lt. Commander
# 11
05-25-2012, 08:00 AM
I've never flown one, looking at the BOFF layout I doubt I would enjoy playing it. I think that's a shame because the ancient galaxy design still looks better than the majority of boats flying around. Best of luck, will be waiting to read your results.
Lt. Commander
# 12
05-25-2012, 08:03 AM
I hope you do well. The only Trek ship that I adore more in terms of aesthetics than the Dreadnought is the original Galaxy after all, be nice if a good report comes out of this.
Lt. Commander
# 13
05-25-2012, 08:26 AM
This is mostly a viewpoint issue. Players who are min-maxers will be unhappy with anything that isn't the tiptop of the teirs, and blast anything that might seem unequal to the best of the best of the best of the best for whatever part of the game they are playing (pvpers, usually).

But this is not just a numbers game, and a good part of it is what you like in a ship. There is nothing wrong at all with the Galaxy-R (and quite a few nice things). It has as many weapon slots as any T5 Fed ship (with the sole exception of the Gal-X's hardmounted Lance, which is constantly lamented at as being a waste), the same turn rate as the Gal-X and Oddy, similar abilities and mission profiles. It can stand alongside an Oddy, Excelsior-B, or Gal-X, and not feel like it doesn't belong in the same class.

What it does have is the distinction and hull design of a classic ship many players love. That these players can get an end-game version of their ship that can stand up to the highest levels of play in the game is only a bonus (players who love the Constitution, Miranda, NX classes don't get this option, for example). The real question is then if the Galaxy-class is your favorite Federation ship.

This is an MMORPG. What sets such a game apart from an MMO is that an MMO is, at its heart, only a wargame. An MMORPG is, at its heart, a RPG (Role Play Game for those unfamiliar with the term). What sets an RPG apart from other games is story and character. So your ship -isn't- the top-of-the-Line, supertech juggernaught that the Federation has spent the wealth of worlds to produce....so what? It's -your- ship, and it's what that ship means to you that will define your experience with it. To sum up in modern naval terms, the men who command Destroyers and Cruisers have their own stories to tell, and a good Carrier commander understands that those stories are just as important as his own (even if Fleet Command doesn't), and often of a different stripe and tone than those of his own ship. It isn't always the flagship of a fleet that performs the most heroic or important missions in peace or war.

So I will simply say this: Run the ship you love, and the ship you want to tell the story of. The ships are broken down by tier as an aid for players to guage what level of challenge the devs plan an encounter for, but ultimately the game is what you make it. A Galaxy-R can take on any mission another T5 cruiser can and perform well. If you love the Galaxy design more than any other T5 cruiser, then fly it and never doubt that you are flying -your- ship.

My two cents.
Lt. Commander
# 14
05-25-2012, 08:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by whamhammer View Post
You can always substitue the ensign spot with Emergency Power to (power here). I particularly like having Emergency Power to Engines.
I'm already running EPTW 1 x 2 and EPTS 3 x 2.

There's no room in that cycle for EPTE.
Lt. Commander
# 15
05-25-2012, 09:03 AM
The Gal R is a waste because it doesn't have all the functions of what the show used it for. Why can't we use the Saucer? Antimatter spread? Why can't I abandon my stardrive and beam over Avoiding death. Why can't I stay in the sections unlimited times. Why is there a stupid 5 minute cool down. Don't mention Generations. They had to evacuate the whole stardrive in 5 minutes. Not just transfer personnel. Why no Battle Bridge interior? It's a **** poor ship for these reasons. You're better off with a Odd.
Lt. Commander
# 16
05-25-2012, 09:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by danqueller
This is mostly a viewpoint issue. Players who are min-maxers will be unhappy with anything that isn't the tiptop of the teirs, and blast anything that might seem unequal to the best of the best of the best of the best for whatever part of the game they are playing (pvpers, usually).

But this is not just a numbers game, and a good part of it is what you like in a ship. There is nothing wrong at all with the Galaxy-R (and quite a few nice things). It has as many weapon slots as any T5 Fed ship (with the sole exception of the Gal-X's hardmounted Lance, which is constantly lamented at as being a waste), the same turn rate as the Gal-X and Oddy, similar abilities and mission profiles. It can stand alongside an Oddy, Excelsior-B, or Gal-X, and not feel like it doesn't belong in the same class.

What it does have is the distinction and hull design of a classic ship many players love. That these players can get an end-game version of their ship that can stand up to the highest levels of play in the game is only a bonus (players who love the Constitution, Miranda, NX classes don't get this option, for example). The real question is then if the Galaxy-class is your favorite Federation ship.

This is an MMORPG. What sets such a game apart from an MMO is that an MMO is, at its heart, only a wargame. An MMORPG is, at its heart, a RPG (Role Play Game for those unfamiliar with the term). What sets an RPG apart from other games is story and character. So your ship -isn't- the top-of-the-Line, supertech juggernaught that the Federation has spent the wealth of worlds to produce....so what? It's -your- ship, and it's what that ship means to you that will define your experience with it. To sum up in modern naval terms, the men who command Destroyers and Cruisers have their own stories to tell, and a good Carrier commander understands that those stories are just as important as his own (even if Fleet Command doesn't), and often of a different stripe and tone than those of his own ship. It isn't always the flagship of a fleet that performs the most heroic or important missions in peace or war.

So I will simply say this: Run the ship you love, and the ship you want to tell the story of. The ships are broken down by tier as an aid for players to guage what level of challenge the devs plan an encounter for, but ultimately the game is what you make it. A Galaxy-R can take on any mission another T5 cruiser can and perform well. If you love the Galaxy design more than any other T5 cruiser, then fly it and never doubt that you are flying -your- ship.

My two cents.
This, is the most perfect explanation as to why people would decide to run a ship like the Galaxy-R. It's why I run a Sovereign over an Oddy or Excelsior.
Lt. Commander
# 17
05-25-2012, 09:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by archer9234 View Post
The Gal R is a waste because it doesn't have all the functions of what the show used it for. Why can't we use the Saucer? Antimatter spread? Why can't I abandon my stardrive and beam over Avoiding death. Why can't I stay in the sections unlimited times. Why is there a stupid 5 minute cool down. Don't mention Generations. They had to evacuate the whole stardrive in 5 minutes. Not just transfer personnel. Why no Battle Bridge interior? It's a **** poor ship for these reasons. You're better off with a Odd.
And, of course, the Odyssey has all of these

Seriously, you won't fly any ship in STO if you expect every ship to be able to do everything you saw some writer have the Enterprise (whichever version) do at some point in the series. No, you can't go find a sun and slingshot around it to destroy your PVP target back when they were level 1. No, you can't channel the entire output of the ship's engines into an insta-kill beam from your deflector array. No, you can't do the Picard Manuever or have phase cloaks.

But you also don't have to roll up a new character and purchase a new ship when your current one is destroyed. You don't have spend weeks in a repair yard or hospital when you are injured. You don't have to explain to your superior officer why you thought attacking a Klingon ship would be 'fun and challenging, and would be l33t!', and why you should be considered an Officer at all. And you certainly don't have to accept whatever ship Starfleet assigns you and do whatever missions they send you on without an option to decline.

So perhaps the things in the game that are sacrificed to gameplay and balance aren't so bad?
Lt. Commander
# 18
05-25-2012, 11:35 AM
The G(R) has its niche if you know how to use it.

Many mistake the extra ensign engineer slot as useless. when in truth it can be a boon.

Consider the build capabilities, all of them, including a cannon/turret build, toss in saucer separation, or a DBB heavy build, and you can begin to see the possibilities.

The G(R) is far from useless, and in some ways is much better then the Oddessy in bang for the buck. I own both, actually I own all the main T5 federation cruisers, and run with them all. Carrier now included in that mix.

I find the G(R) still viable and probably one of the better PVP ships for its surprise effect, and survive-ability. Folks are not sure what they are going to get when I use to take mine into pvp with saucer separation. Nothing wrong with it, stat wize yeah folks may like the oddy, but in truth, not enough diff in the two to mean a hill of beans and definately not enough to matter 400 C points.
Lt. Commander
# 19
05-25-2012, 09:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by USS_Ultimatum
I'm already running EPTW 1 x 2 and EPTS 3 x 2.

There's no room in that cycle for EPTE.
Try dropping one of the EPTS out for a science TSS to get it.You could also trade up for an Aux to Inertial Dampers as well.
Lt. Commander
# 20
05-25-2012, 11:19 PM
galaxy-r is far from useless in a elite stf. on my engineer i use this build and its pretty tanky and useful.

Weapons

8 X Borg MK 12 Anti-pros

Lt Tact

TT 1 and Beam Overload 2 ( FAW 2 for probe duty in KA)

Cmd Engineer

ET 1, EWP 2, RSP2, RSP3 (Infected and Cure)

EPW 1, ET2, EPW3, DEM 3 (KA for probe duty)

Lt cmd Engineer

EPTS1, EPTS 2, APSI 2

Ensign Engineer

EPW 1 this becomes ET 1 in KA

Lt Sci

PH 1 and HE 2

Consoles

Engineer
RCS, Neutronium Alloy, EPS Flow Reg x 2

Sci
Borg console and 2 x Fielld reg 18% shield booster

Tact