Lt. Commander
# 11
05-17-2012, 05:28 AM
Like to see more bridges of the Belfast dimensions. That would be the perfect ceiling height and rooms also near real sized. Hope that more of this to see in the future of STO.
Lt. Commander
# 12
05-20-2012, 07:24 PM
The Prometheus bridge is my favorite bridge for it is very nicely scaled and when you fill it up with bridge officers it feels like a real functioning bridge, unlike the Galaxy class bridges where the captain has to yell across the room to talk to the 1st Officer. lol
Lt. Commander
# 13
05-22-2012, 11:37 PM
Why can't they use something that's already been used in videogames? If the camera is such a big issue that they need to make the bridges even bigger, couldn't they instead return to this: when the camera would normally bump into a wall or object it would instead pass through it, allowing the environment to be seen through the walls, which are invisible from the outside. If there's a gamebreaker issue of people using this to cheat by looking through the walls to places they're not supposed to, why not add solid black texture barriers separating each room from the next, so that you can only see into the room that you're in?
Lt. Commander
# 14
05-23-2012, 12:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Destinii
I'd agree, if it weren't for the BOFFs. If you needed to actually turn around to place BOFF positions with the way point markers, you'd be opening yourself up for flank attacks.
I was referring to the non-combat player bridge veiw
Lt. Commander
# 15
05-23-2012, 12:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gibbon1182 View Post
The Prometheus bridge is my favorite bridge for it is very nicely scaled and when you fill it up with bridge officers it feels like a real functioning bridge, unlike the Galaxy class bridges where the captain has to yell across the room to talk to the 1st Officer. lol
sorry for the double post.

Yeah I agree the Prometheus Bridge pack is great. The one bridge you're character sinks in the floor to his waist thou and on the other it won't like me click to sit in the captain's chair, and they need a variant wit the msd removed because its very close to the excelsior bridge as well so it's great for dual useage.
Lt. Commander
# 16
05-23-2012, 02:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sumghai
I'd rather have cameras locked at a certain angle / height than feel like a midget in a giant bridge / corridor.
+1

10char
Lt. Commander
# 17
05-23-2012, 08:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjalkarja
i read / understand that it is necessary for some combat areas to be spacious and enormously large. if they were true to scale - they d simply not offer the room to fight and / or cause pathing problems i guess.

what i wonder is - ... is there a reason the BRIDGES of our ships are also waay too large? - they are no combat areas ... and they simply "feel" wrong.

i am not a trekkie or have watched many of the shows - but the ones i watched displayed even the galaxy bridge to be much smaller than the ones we have ingame. - defiant bridge with its hologram com system was even smaller - which fit the ship purpose.

when i played the mission "facility 40andsomething" ( former FE ) ... the interior was a true revelation! - finally a TRUE to scale enviroment - my avatar felt MUCH more fitting in than in the hangarlike interiors of hte older content.

i know there is like no chance to revise all the old bridges ( although its mostly the same mesh with different colouring ) - but maybe new bridges could be made true to the ships scale.

any thoughts on that?
Lol. The bridge for my Klingon war bird is like an olympic temple. Haha. It is kinda funny. But yes, especially the klingon ones. They need to be small. We are going for a submarine warfare idea in the bridge design.
Lt. Commander
# 18
05-23-2012, 09:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatAnnoyingKitsune
Why can't they use something that's already been used in videogames? If the camera is such a big issue that they need to make the bridges even bigger, couldn't they instead return to this: when the camera would normally bump into a wall or object it would instead pass through it, allowing the environment to be seen through the walls, which are invisible from the outside. If there's a gamebreaker issue of people using this to cheat by looking through the walls to places they're not supposed to, why not add solid black texture barriers separating each room from the next, so that you can only see into the room that you're in?
Simple, in game engines are the possibility of portal rendering - often called "areaportals".
That restrict the renderer to an area of a closed room, so a look through walls shows nothing.
But I also think there other ways to get a good sized bridge without camera angle or NPC walking problems.
To use an automated zoom in/out if the camera collides a wall.
Have seen this also in STO, but is not consistent.

Years ago I played RPG-X an Elite Force modification, they also handle with that kind of problem.
There's no need of oversizing rooms, explicit bridges if theres no NPC walking around or following you.

And I repeat the scale of the Belfast has nearly real ceiling height and no oversized corridors.
There the NPCs has no restriction to walking around in this sized rooms.

Where exactly is the crux of the matter?
Lt. Commander
# 19
05-25-2012, 01:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by voicesinthedark View Post
hell I wish they would just lock it into a first person mode like the shooter mode and then just remove the reticle on the hud and it'd be all good to go. That would be amazing and would definitely add to the immersion, can't imagine anyone would complain if they did that.
have it keyed to a button Ghost Recon Style? Crazy enough to work.

I would like smaller enteriors as well, the Odyssey feels like you could play a soccer match in there. Bleachers and all.