Go Back   Star Trek Online > Information and Discussion > Ten Forward
Login

Lt. Commander
# 11
05-23-2012, 11:58 PM
I got sick of the Dominion War mid way through, but I always felt that Combs along with Andreas Katsulas were the highlights of that era's guest actors.
Lt. Commander
# 12
05-24-2012, 01:07 AM
I tend to fancy that high-strung accent the Vorta use. I canae pin down the nationality but it's entertaining for sure. Kind of makes a good intellectual companion. Or just fawn for attention like Loriss. To me, Drama is Life
Lt. Commander
# 13
05-24-2012, 12:58 PM
Victory in intrigue!
Lt. Commander
# 14
05-24-2012, 08:04 PM
I really liked Weyoun. Weyoun held the founders as gods, regardless of which side of the dominion they were on. I recall an episode where one of his clones commited a self-less act to save Odo from being harmed, as I'm sure any other Weyouns would have done. The other Vorta's confused me, however they were in the presence of anyone but the founders, so their aggressive or inhospitable demeanor could be natural outside the company of upper management.
Lt. Commander
# 15
05-24-2012, 08:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADufaux
, so their aggressive or inhospitable demeanor could be natural outside the company of upper management.
This is something that strikes me as realistic as this 'domineering middle management' thing is quite common from my experience with Oriental corporate culture.

It's as though, without supervision, the Vorta are entitled to represent the Dominion's best interests using their own initiative and judgment, which is appropriate given the scale and distance of interstellar affairs.

Just like IRL, if 'flexibility and hospitality' are desired then deal directly with the Founders... if you can.

Hostile middle / lower management culture can be perceived as off-putting but in the RL corporate context, it's something necessary to prevent said managers from being bogged down by unnecessary and pointless negotiating.

I've used many management styles IRL and it strikes me that an open, accomodating stance to negotiations (aka TNG Federation) leads to the organization being perceived as weak. Oriental customers, in particular, seem to exploit and even openly bully those who appear to be nice and polite. They seem not to appreciate a cordial traditional European approach to business (Disclaimer : this is purely from my business experience, your mileage may vary IRL)

Vortas supported by Jem'Hadar force (and their RL corporate equivalents) get the job done without unnecessary hassle. So to me it's not really that they want to be hostile - they have to be in order to present a strong, no nonsense front to the Dominion.

I don't make a point to be friendly IRL. I'm deployed usually in crisis management roles or to get things done by the letter in the shortest time possible. Those who oppose my procedures and regard me as 'rude' usually aren't the sort to pay on time or follow correct legal protocol and their 'personal issues' are diverted to upper management (Director level) for their consideration. Indeed, sometimes I feel my job is to root out those who have ill intentions and would compromise the firm's good legal standing.

This could be an interesting alternative interpretation of Vorta psychology, given the fact Star Trek alien races are written as though they are individually, different aspects of Human psychology.
Lt. Commander
# 16
05-26-2012, 12:09 AM
Here's a free hug (Mentally sent).