Lt. Commander
# 181
05-24-2012, 08:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kvetchus_
Just wondering.... is anyone from Cryptic actually reading this? If so, are you rolling your eyes or actually wondering if the opinions here are reflective of the player bases -- AKA your customer base -- as a whole? I received and responded to your recent email survey bashing the Lock Boxs as thoroughly as I could, however the questions were stilted and made that a little hard. It was like being asked When will you start liking the lockboxes A) Always have B) Starting Right Now C) Starting Tomorrow.

In the hopes that someone from Cryptic is actually paying attention, here are some useful takeaways and ideas from this thread:

1. Despite the (probable) success of the lockboxes from a financial perspective, you most active players dislike them fundamentally. It's the Walmart effect -- no one likes them, but they get opened ($$) anyway. We, as a player base, need to boycott the boxes, and YOU as the game operator need to consider more appropriate ways to make money (which we want you to do).

2. Most people would like to see more content rather than more stuff. A good (imo) idea that was proffered was a pay model for the content. Designate missions as F2P or P2P and make it available "free" to subscribers (as a nod to Lifers and Gold members) or unlockable with CP for Silver members. Instead of gambling for new neutral ships, you make them a reward for a series completion -- perhaps when all missions were completed on Elite with optionals and other such also completed (in other words, to get the really sweet ship reward, you have to do a boat load of work). Then, when someone has that ship or weapon or whatever, everyone knows they worked their *** off for it (and yes, paid for the opportunity).

3. People don't mind paying for things as long as they get something they deem worth the money. However, when a thing is a blatant money grab, it infuriates your players. What I (and I think others) mean by money-grab is something that costs money, doesn't require any particular effort other than paying money and doesn't have any particular in-game narrative value other than some random blog post. The truth is, the bulk of your players WANT new and interesting challenges in this game (don't mean new events or grinds like STFs, I mean good story-based missions. Defera is, by far, one of the best recent additions, though the event time part is stupid. That is the direction you should head, IMO -- but include space components too), and most of your players won't mind paying for it IF IT'S WORTH IT.

Anyway, here's hoping someone from Cryptic/PW is still paying attention...
^^^^This^^^^

Also, When the hell are we gonna get a fix for buying foundry slots? Its been greyed out for months with now work around, and as far as I can tell you guys, The Devs, are all being hush hush about it hoping you wont have to fix it. Well we saw how much good it did when EA an Bioware decided to screw their fan base, and from what I can tell your not far off.

Are all game companies turning into this money grabbing, "artistic integrity", and disregarding canon of IP's monsters? What ever happened to making a game that you, The Devs, wanted to play and share with fans? What happened to Real Art and story telling? This just adds to my conclusion that indeed this society is at it's end. In the future we will be know as Rome V2.0 ^.^
Lt. Commander
# 182
05-24-2012, 01:51 PM
The problem with the FEs is that the devs need to outdo their last FE every series, otherwise the majority of the players who just skip the briefings and run through the mission will complain that Cryptic are just producing crappy generic missions with no regard to the intense story running though the mission.

Tell the story through a lot of cut scenes and you get people quitting and complaining about the mission taking too much time with the cut scenes and if they wanted to watch Star Trek they'd turn on the tv.

So in order to counter this they use new locations (All the missions in the 2400 had a new map built for them), new systems, (The collection minigames in Operation Gamma, the EV suit areas in Boldly they Rode) or new enemies (The Changeling from Of Bajor (unless there's a changeling in one of the time gated missions this is your first time facing one in game to my knowledge).

The problem is that these cost time and money to make, and Featured Episodes, by their very definition are massively advertised releases, making generic missions anyone could build in the Foundry into Featured Episodes would devalue the anticipation of the good FEs that they build.
Lt. Commander
# 183
05-24-2012, 02:06 PM
Will there be any FEs with the Sona and Baku?
Lt. Commander
# 184
05-24-2012, 02:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RAJ_2011
Will there be any FEs with the Sona and Baku?
You may have missed this:

Quote:
Q: Are the Feature Episodes a thing of the past never to return, or will they be back?
A: There has been some debate about this and the relative cost of making this specific type of content versus other story related mission content. Each series has been excessively more expensive to make than the last and so there is an evaluation going on to determine the relative development scope of adding new single player story missions to the game. You’ll see us start to answer this question in earnest after the release of Season 6 which is focused on Fleets and group based Fleet Gameplay.
Lt. Commander
# 185
05-24-2012, 03:23 PM
Will there be any chance you'll expand the types of MACO rifles available? (If you'd give Split-Beam and Full Auto versions of the MACO rifle, I'd gladly go through STF after STF, or maybe even buy Cryptic Points , to get such guns for myself and my Away Team.)

Honestly, I like the general look of the endgame phaser rifles, but I'm not a fan of how the glowing stuff just sticks on the front of the Mk X+ rifles. Better-looking options for endgame phasers would be greatly appreciated.)
Lt. Commander
# 186
05-25-2012, 02:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by theapparatus View Post
You may have missed this:
O, okay thanks. I'm surprised they have not made any grouped FE missions. O well.
Lt. Commander
# 187
05-25-2012, 02:39 AM
I believe Fee's will become extinct just like everyone who had patience with the lockboxes
Lt. Commander
# 188
05-25-2012, 02:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedarky View Post
The problem is that these cost time and money to make, and Featured Episodes, by their very definition are massively advertised releases, making generic missions anyone could build in the Foundry into Featured Episodes would devalue the anticipation of the good FEs that they build.
The bigger problem is the fact that these were the only way of adding canonical mission content. Like it or not, this is Cryptic saying "we're getting out of the content business."
Lt. Commander
# 189
05-26-2012, 06:52 AM
Any chance of speeding up the warp out time.