Lt. Commander
I just put together a new machine (i7 3770k, 16GB DDR3-1600, GTX 670, M4 SSD, Win 7 SP1 x64). Once Windows was loaded and tweaked, I imported my Steam backup and tried to launch STO.

STO had to download around 4500MB worth of data once I launched it from Steam. Okay, no biggie. Let that download and launch the game....and it never launched. I got to the Cryptic logo load screen before the character selection screen, and it would just hang and hang and never finish loading. Gave it a reboot and it loaded fine. Selected my 1 character and tried to load into game.

Loading Sector Space takes..well, way longer than it did on my old non-SSD drive. Like, minutes. It loads kinda quick at first, hangs around 50-65%, then eventually creeps to 100%. Once it finally loads, I'm in sector space but I can't actually move my ship. I can turn it left and right (amazingly fast, I might add), but I can't actually move forward or backwards. And I've got missing UI stuff (weapons arn't showing, trying to transwarp returns a null value, etc).

I've tried verifying files in the launcher..but it never seems to actually verify them..I don't see the checking..but I do see the "Mirroring <filename>" bit at the end. Any idea on what's going on/what I should do? I'm really eager to see how STO runs on my new rig and the only thing I've done out of the ordinary on this new rig was disable the pagefile.

Edit1: I've deleted the gameprefs file and one of the (smaller) .hogg files. The launcher redownloaded them and still the same effect. Had Steam verify the local content (gave no error), tried over and over to force verify, but nothing ever happens. When to eventually load in game, the ultra fast turning is gone..but I still can't move my ship. My power bar is missing some items, none of the present powers seem to work, I can't transwarp anywhere or send messages, nothing.

Edit2: I uninstalled the whole program, made sure the STO subfolder under steamapps was deleted and redownloaded the entire program. Launched it and it's still on the first Cryptic Loading screen, progress inching along. Maybe this will resolve the problem. After 20+ minutes I alt+tabbed and killed GameClient. I relaunched it from Steam and it loaded, selected my character...and then the same thing. Same long sector space loading time, same non-movement in sector space, same missing UI elements.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated!
Lt. Commander
# 2
05-27-2012, 05:59 PM
I am having some similar issues on this, all of which started back on 22-23 of this week.

I've done the nettest gag and everything matched the parameters stated in that thread, so these server issues have to be on Cryptic end.
Lt. Commander
# 3
05-30-2012, 06:43 PM
The issues still persist. Able to log in fine, sector space loads quick...until about 57%..then it creeps by for a few minutes and when it finally loads, I'm unable to move in sector space, missing UI elements (ie: stuff's missing from my power bar, doff text isn't displaying, transwarp doesn't work, etc). I've tried everything I know to try...has anyone else had this issue and/or know of another fix I could try?
Career Officer
# 4
07-05-2012, 04:06 PM
Looks like I have the same issue as well and here's my specs:
(i5 3570k, 16GB DDR3-1600, GTX 460, M4 SSD, Win 7 SP1 x64)

Now I recently upgraded from this:
(Q6600, 8GB DDR2-800, GTX 460, M4 SSD, Win 7 SP1 x64) and star trek online worked perfectly. So I know its not M4 SSD drive nor the video card as both worked fine in the previous system.

Could star trek online not be compatible with ivy bridge chipset or the amount of RAM used?

I do want to add that this has nothing to do with my internet connection as I am able to play fine on my laptop and my other desktop.

Last edited by padr1nho; 07-05-2012 at 04:23 PM.
Ensign
# 5
07-08-2012, 06:26 AM
I'm having the exact same issue on my desktop (i7 3770K, 8 GB DDR-1600, Samsung SSD 830, etc.).

Works fine on my other computer (laptop), and even worked fine on my desktop for the first few hours, but then became unplayable with what sounds like the same problem as you both. I've only been playing less than a week now, but it happened to my desktop on day 2; I deleted my character made a new one, and this (temporarily!) fixed the problem--the new character worked fine on the desktop, until the same thing happened again the next time I logged in.

It seems very odd to me, and I can't figure out what the problem is. Something I noticed is that when it eventually loads the game, in some ways it seems like it isn't properly communicating with the server (e.g., can't pull up PvP queues or even my mission log), but my internet connection is fine--nettest works fine, as does tracert, and I have no problems on my laptop--and I do actually see other players walking around. Anyone have any ideas?

Last edited by odokemono1; 07-08-2012 at 06:49 AM.
Ensign
# 6
07-09-2012, 10:41 PM
I'm having a similar issue. I just downloaded and patched the game last night, I've been playing fine since then off and on. Had one or two D/C's but nothing I was worried about, I just re-logged and the game ran fine. Then about 2-3 hours ago the game client started timing out. Basically everything loads fine: the space backdrop, anomalies, friendly ships, systems, the whole shebang. The problem comes in where I can't move my ship at all or interact with anything, but I can see other moving around me. I even restarted a character (no biggie, was only lvl5 and didn't really want to be a ferangi anyways). At first the client wouldn't even recognize that I had deleted my original character. Then I re-logged again and it worked, but the character creation was a bit laggy also. Got down with that and my character loaded to a black room, the textures didn't load. Intro movie played then came back to my new character: still in a black room and cannot move or interact with anything.

*EDIT* I forgot to mention that I can play just fine on other client based games like Diablo 3, and I can surf the web just fine too. Seems to be a problem on the server end.

Last edited by ooand; 07-09-2012 at 10:43 PM.
Career Officer
# 7
07-21-2012, 01:41 AM
Hi,

I have Asus G55 laptop http://www.notebookcheck.net/Review-...k.74851.0.html with same specs. Only thing i have changed the primary hard disk with Samsung 830 128Gb SSD.

I did have same problem and contacted support. They pointed out "usual" checklist with options to try out. First one was try to put a few launcher options on: Safe mode, Force verify, Disable on-demand patching. Surprisingly game worked at first launch. I thanked support and closed the ticket.

Game worked about week and then the same "slow loader" bug started to appear again. Tried again support advices, but none worked (didint try them all). Then i remembered what i have changed on my laptop setup and disconnected the network cable. Loaded game with WIFI connection and the game worked fully.

So, if you have spare PCI / USB network adapter, try to changing it in your problem machine. Hopefully it will help.

My network adapters are Atheros AR8151 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet Controller and Atheros AR9485WB-EG Wireless network adapter.
All my other online games work 100% with cable. STO is the only one with this kind of problem. (havent tried Champions Online though)

Cryptic please whip those network coders to get better results. Code is really buggy. ^^'

Sorry for my basic english.

Last edited by kungfumaster; 07-21-2012 at 03:28 PM.
Ensign
# 8
07-22-2012, 08:32 PM
Ok
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archived Post View Post
I just put together a new machine (i7 3770k, 16GB DDR3-1600, GTX 670, M4 SSD, Win 7 SP1 x64). Once Windows was loaded and tweaked, I imported my Steam backup and tried to launch STO.

STO had to download around 4500MB worth of data once I launched it from Steam. Okay, no biggie. Let that download and launch the game....and it never launched. I got to the Cryptic logo load screen before the character selection screen, and it would just hang and hang and never finish loading. Gave it a reboot and it loaded fine. Selected my 1 character and tried to load into game.

Loading Sector Space takes..well, way longer than it did on my old non-SSD drive. Like, minutes. It loads kinda quick at first, hangs around 50-65%, then eventually creeps to 100%. Once it finally loads, I'm in sector space but I can't actually move my ship. I can turn it left and right (amazingly fast, I might add), but I can't actually move forward or backwards. And I've got missing UI stuff (weapons arn't showing, trying to transwarp returns a null value, etc).

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated!
Nearly same setup exact same problem.

Old rig works perfectly fine
New setup Asus P8Z77-Pro GTX670 16 gb ram Vertex 3 SSD and Raid 0 HD.
I run the game from the raid 0
Downloaded files from web ( front page ) took forever
Patching was verry long too

Loaded one of my characters, exact same problem as above, cant move missing icons etc.

Decided to copy / paste files from my old computer to the new one. Same problem again.

Any help would be appreciated !

Edit: Latest patch did nothing more...
I decided to update every single driver i could find on the Asus web site.
I am almost certain that it was the network drivers, but i can't tell for sure.
- Updated these drivers: chipset, usb, audio, network and IRST...
Now it works perfect !!

Last edited by zigidou; 07-26-2012 at 04:24 PM. Reason: ok i got it to work.
Career Officer
# 9
07-23-2012, 07:15 AM
Still having the exact same problems as others in this thread (I think I made this thread originally, before the forum change over). It seems like all of us are sporting the Z77 chipset. I can run other games and do web stuff just fine..so this has to be a STO issue.

I've emailed PWE's tech support. If they produce any results, I'll post my finding in this thread.
Ensign
# 10
07-26-2012, 04:28 PM
I thought that editing would bump the post.

See my previous edit for how i got it to work.

Now i am happy
Closed Thread