Login

Lt. Commander
# 51
05-30-2012, 01:27 PM
sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet
Lt. Commander
# 52
05-30-2012, 01:28 PM
It is a subluminal ship, for interplanetary colonization.

I believe we could break the warp threshold (lizards :p) for a lot less than that.
Lt. Commander
# 53
05-30-2012, 01:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sollaf View Post
It is a subluminal ship, for interplanetary colonization.

I believe we could break the warp threshold (lizards :p) for a lot less than that.
Yeah, the Gen1 ship an interplanetary ship at best for now able to do a trip to Mars in 90 days. His Gen4 model which he theorizes could be ready in 100 years can do 80% of c (good lord!) so that could go to the nearer stars.

In any event, this site and his vision is inspiring. He's run numbers on everything (cost, mass, materials, you name it) and if we as a culture wanted to do this, we could. Now. What an amazing thought until reality comes crashing in.

If nothing else, maybe this will get some people thinking about our priorities and where our money as a nation and as a planet goes.
Lt. Commander
# 54
05-30-2012, 01:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thxac3 View Post
Yeah, the Gen1 ship an interplanetary ship at best for now able to do a trip to Mars in 90 days. His Gen4 model which he theorizes could be ready in 100 years can do 80% of c (good lord!) so that could go to the nearer stars.

In any event, this site and his vision is inspiring. He's run numbers on everything (cost, mass, materials, you name it) and if we as a culture wanted to do this, we could. Now. What an amazing thought until reality comes crashing in.

If nothing else, maybe this will get some people thinking about our priorities and where our money as a nation and as a planet goes.
Espically considering we dumped this much money into the bank bail outs... Really opens up your eyes dosen't it?
Lt. Commander
# 55
05-30-2012, 02:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sollaf View Post
Espically considering we dumped this much money into the bank bail outs... Really opens up your eyes dosen't it?
And various wars and so on. It's depressing and that's a big reason why I'm drawn to Trek and STO... it's hope and escapism, however fleeting. It's fun to imagine that one day we'll get past bigotry and intolerance and greed and be able to do things like this.

Dare to dream, eh?
Lt. Commander
# 56
05-30-2012, 02:31 PM
Where's the Kickstarter page?
Lt. Commander
# 57
05-30-2012, 02:34 PM
Really makes one nerdgasm doesn't it? Awesome.
Lt. Commander
# 58
05-30-2012, 02:45 PM
Love the 'idea' and the thought put behind it.

But using that ship design is horribly unrealistic. As are his cost figures for delivering anything close to 277M pounds into LEO, using existing technology.
Lt. Commander
# 59 The real space truth
05-30-2012, 03:09 PM
If i were Virgin Galactic or SpaceX maybe id pay attention to this, ah you never know what the privateers
are doing for space exploration we all know the our President cancelled the shuttle program . I mean really doesn't those NASA guys know that the Russians were the basis for the Klingon Empire? Dang getting a ride from a former enemy, wow. Hey i guess instead of going the Starfleet route i.e NASA we are going the Star Wars route with there freemarket builders. Incom T-65 X-Wing was made by Incom in Star Wars along with the Snow Speeders hence there logo ZZ in the side of both.

Star Wars seems more of a logical route for ship building freemarket clearly trumps governemnt

Some fictional Star Wars companies

Sienar Fleet Systems: created the TIE FIghter series

Coreillan Engineering Corperation: Millenieum Falcon

Kuat Drive Yards: Created the Star Destroyer line Ep. 4-6

Topani Starship Cooperative: Rebel Frigates for both Medical and Assault

Star Trek: Starfleet and all the other factions

or government bodies

NASA for time being and really not the way to go, on the other hand you have someone like this article in the OP which is making one privately or trying to. Virgin Galactic and SpaceX have already made ships like VG;s Spaceship 1 and 2 line and SpaceX frieighter pod