Lt. Commander
# 21
05-31-2012, 02:33 AM
It's a good idea and credit to the OP because it is a really well thought out idea, but really do we need more gimmicks?

I just want things straightforward. If they put stuff in the c-store to buy and I like it, I will buy it. If they put stuff in the game and I like it, I will work hard and try and earn it. I want this black and white. Anything that deviates or gets in the way of this I am not a fan of (e.g. lockboxes, time-gated content, bad droprates, etc). Keep it simple. They need to learn that these kinds of shenanigans and the quick get rich schemes along with lack of engaging content wont work for long term community building and sustainability of this game. People are tired of it. I'm tired of it. I want things in this game to be like they were in the early seasons. They had a good thing going initially and they messed it up.
Lt. Commander
# 22
05-31-2012, 04:36 AM
my text is the red one...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathan99
you would get points for:

Referring a friend who downloads the game.
-> i will never do this again, the original refer a friend system was nothing but a disaster

Bonus if they spend $10 or more within 30 days.
-> if at all make it 90 days, i do not want to need to harass other players that i invited, to buy something that early because ->I<- get a bonus for it... 90 days sounds reasonable, also make it a bonus for me AND the Player i invited

Poking a friend who hasn't logged in for 30 days and getting them to login.
-> that would require me to see how long someone in my friend list had been offline (which would be a nice UI addition for friend and ignore lists anyway to clean them up)

Bonus if they spend $10 or more within 30 days.
-> 90 !

Paying a monthly gold subscription.
-> i have an LTA, does this apply to me?

Buying a Lifetime Subscription.
-> already bought mine, do i get awarded retroactively? (knowing cryptic the answer is probably *LOL NO!* )

Buying points in bulk.
-> i do not buy points anymore at all, i sell my dilithium for them -> do i get points for providing cryptic with dilithium to sell for c-point???

Buying certain C-Store items and services during featured events. (This could target under-selling items.)
-> ???

Maybe limited reward points for Tribble test weekends, Foundry authorship (get 20 5 star ratings!), and participating in community events.
-> more rewards for foundry authors are always a good idea, depend on the setup of the system and the numbers that come out of it i guess

People who don't login would periodically get an offer for Reward Points for coming back and spending at least $10.
-> coming back is enough, no need to spend $10, if the game has anything good to offer they will spend money if they think it's worth it.
-> and nope, i thought that was my job to invite my friends back in, if cryptic does that automatically on it's own than it's not needed for me to sucker my friends back into it.

Now, with your reward points (which would be a purely OUT OF GAME CURRENCY), you would have access to a Reward Store.

The Reward Store would contain:

All lockbox rewards, including ships
All vet rewards, through 1000 days <- now that i have a problem with, that would be the final nail in the coffin of the gold subscription and the final devaluation of any LTA, the 400 point stipend is a bad joke as it is, and there is nothing else that you can't unlock for a few c-points
All prior referral rewards <- those have been in the Winter LockBoxes already, and everybody who wants it has the Galaxy-X already anyway.
All available pre-order items (as an alternative to C-Points) <- would not include the TR-*** rifle, so *meh* already got all of that.
Gametime options, including monthly Gold and LTS (No reward points if earned this way) <- would be cool for F2Pers, IF the gold subscription was worth anything to begin with...
Lobi Crystal bundles <- more Lobi crystals in this system means less Lobi Crystals in Boxes, or higher prices in the Lobi Store... no thx
Respecs (as an alternative to C-Points)
Renames (as an alternative to C-Points)
Species Respec (when added, as an alternative to C-Points)
Duty Officer Packs (as an alternative to C-Points)
First Officer to Captain Promotion (when added)
Exclusive species unlocks <- Exclsuive? You have been here long enough to know that nothing in this game will ever be or stay "Exclusive" for very long.
Lt. Commander
# 23
05-31-2012, 04:50 AM
@ The OP This is quite frankly the best idea Ive seen with regards to solving the Lock-Box issue and with regards for allowing PW/Cryptic Studios to make a profit. Under the suggested system; Id be one happy Gamer!!!
Lt. Commander
# 24
05-31-2012, 05:19 AM
I strongly disagree with giving out/selling veteran a rewards for anything other than actual subscribed time.
Lt. Commander
# 25
05-31-2012, 05:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by stararmy View Post
I strongly disagree with giving out/selling veteran a rewards for anything other than actual subscribed time.
I agree with your disagreement. Veteran rewards and LTS perk items need to stay out of any other methods of obtaining things.

Someone wants a LTS perk, then they MUST fork over the $300 to get them.
Someone wants a veteran reward then they MUST be subscribed for the prerequisite amount of time.

Allowing these things to be obtained any other way cheapens the investment that people have put in, either as a lump sum or over an extended period of time.

So Leviathan, as much as I consider the rest of your concept to be awesome, I respectfully request that you remove LTS perk items and Veteran Rewards from consideration. If you ask me, LTS and standard subscriptions need MORE incentives for players to choose them over silver. They certainly do not need the ones they have to be devalued. So come up with something else in that regard.
Lt. Commander
# 26
05-31-2012, 05:43 AM
Adding veteran awards to this kind of store is problematic. I personally wouldn't mind, as the currency they'd be bought way reflects a contribution of some kind to the game, same way the veteran awards represent a contribution in the form of subscription fees and loyalty. I imagine you'd unlock them in sequence, or the 200 day bonuses are twice as costly as the 100 day ones, and so on. By the same reasoning I've never been against adding the Liberated Borg as a vet reward for long-term subscribers. The problem with buying these things through a point system is this:

Silver Player A bought a bunch of CPoints. Built up some Cryptic card bonus points and buys veteran awards 1, 2, 3 and 4... then buys a subscription. Now what does he get when his subscription passes the day 100 mark? Grounds to complain on the forums? We've got those covered already. If they were able to unlock the Liberated Borg through accumulated C-store purchases and whatnot, that deincentivizes them from buying the LTS, as they already have the bonus.

I'm not against it, but it doesn't seem like a good way for Cryptic to make more money.

To make more money they'd probably need to chuck in things that aren't obtainable any other way. Picturing the ragefest now when the Photonic captain appears in there.
Lt. Commander
# 27
05-31-2012, 05:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainQuirk View Post
So Leviathan, as much as I consider the rest of your concept to be awesome, I respectfully request that you remove LTS perk items and Veteran Rewards from consideration. If you ask me, LTS and standard subscriptions need MORE incentives for players to choose them over silver. They certainly do not need the ones they have to be devalued. So come up with something else in that regard.
I do believe the solution is simply to not offer those perks but still offer the reward of the LTS which in and of itself will come with those perks anyway.
Lt. Commander
# 28
05-31-2012, 06:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathan99
Not for $300 worth of work?

I'd be perfectly fine with somebody doing $300 worth of marketing work for Cryptic and being given a full lifetime sub.
1) I was referring to someone giving away the Lib Borg for points so you just took my comment out of context.

2) I'm not fine with it for 3 reasons
a) it further devalues my purchase even more
b) its easily exploitable to get everything without spending any money or gaining any new players
c) it adds another grind for rewards to an overly grindy game.

Its really hard to convince new people to come to a game where the long term player is treated poorly, everything given away, and everything to do in the game is a grind

However, I would accept it with the following caveats

1) No Vet Rewards nor LTS stuff goes in the store. If you want it, subscribe to the game and wait just like everybody else had to.

2) Subscriptions earned via this method are excluded from the Vet Rewards and Stipend (to prevent exploitation)

3) Reward points can be earned for gaining C-Points via Dilithium (since this is the reason many people buy C-Points, its clearly earning Cryptic $$$ )

4) Reward points are rewarded retroactively (very important or I cant imagine the rage)
Lt. Commander
# 29
05-31-2012, 06:15 AM
Congratulation, Leviathan. You had a very good idea. If Cryptic properly implemented this system, it would be a great addition to the game. Of course, I don't 100% agree with everything. But the general idea is fantastic. Basically, what everyone said: vet rewards should be only obtainable trough subscription time. But I'm ok on putting sub time and LTS on this system. Basically what you said: if the guy made Cryptic have a revenue of $300, why not give it a perk worth $300 to that the guy since he probably would not buy an item this expensive anyway? But on the end, this type of fine tunning is up to devs. The important thing is the core of the idea, which is great!

Now my only hope is that if they implement this, they make the points retroactively, as a token of appreciation for the support we have gave to the game.
Lt. Commander
# 30
05-31-2012, 06:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capitain Wilhelm
Now my only hope is that if they implement this, they make the points retroactively, as a token of appreciation for the support we have gave to the game.

That would be important to me as well. Been around since BETA.