Lt. Commander
# 11
05-22-2012, 12:14 PM
Scotty was just drunk, congrats the continuity continues!
Lt. Commander
# 12
05-25-2012, 08:26 PM
He shouldn't have been helpful at all, then. His dialogue should have just been "Uhh... spare some whiskey, laddy? It's Tuesday! My head's throbbing like the pack of wild Romulans I ran into last week with William Wallace and Robert the Bruce!"
Lt. Commander
# 13
05-29-2012, 02:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by elpayasomalo
I was playing Night of the Comet, when I noticed that Scott was talking about encountering a bunch of Romulans. The problem is that this mission takes place in 2265, possibly even a few months before Scott was assigned to the Enterprise. Scott wouldn't have encountered (or indeed known much about) Romulans before 2266, when the TOS episode "Balance of Terror" takes place, since the Federation hadn't had contact with the Romulans since about 2160 and didn't even know what they looked like until 2266. I think this reference should be fixed, as it mars an otherwise excellent mission.

Note: Now that I think about it, I probably should have put this one somewhere else since Imperials can play this one, too.
I would argue that the entire premise of knowing nothing about the Romulans is pretty ridiculous in and of itself, really, as is the 60-year non-contact between Romulans and the Federation. While no official combat might be the rule of the day, I'm sure their fleets have encountered one another, intelligence sources have existed, defectors, tourists, meetings in neutral space, etc. were inevitable. It's a bit hard for the Romulan government to watch every last citizen and make sure they go nowhere near any sort of Federation monitoring gear or that of any entity that may pass info along to the Feds.

Myself, although it's technically non-canon, I think this can be forgiven. I'd just skip over it mentally. Since I don't know TOS well myself, I really didn't even think about it.
Lt. Commander
# 14
05-30-2012, 01:57 PM
Scotty could have just been bragging and had not actually seen (nor thought he had seen) Romulans.

The base itself seemed joint UFP/KDF at the time so they probably saw all sorts of races.
Lt. Commander
# 15
05-30-2012, 10:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_1999
I would argue that the entire premise of knowing nothing about the Romulans is pretty ridiculous in and of itself, really, as is the 60-year non-contact between Romulans and the Federation. While no official combat might be the rule of the day, I'm sure their fleets have encountered one another, intelligence sources have existed, defectors, tourists, meetings in neutral space, etc. were inevitable. It's a bit hard for the Romulan government to watch every last citizen and make sure they go nowhere near any sort of Federation monitoring gear or that of any entity that may pass info along to the Feds.

Myself, although it's technically non-canon, I think this can be forgiven. I'd just skip over it mentally. Since I don't know TOS well myself, I really didn't even think about it.
From what I understand, they don't cross the Neutral Zone. That's the agreement that they made. They ceased hostilities and the Zone stayed empty. They never even saw each other during their war. They communicated by subspace radio only. The treaty was violated in 2266 by the Romulans who attacked a Federation outpost.
Lt. Commander
# 16
05-31-2012, 09:45 AM
Considering how many times each TV series contradicted themselves and each other, the issues here aren't that big, but that's just my 2 EC
Lt. Commander
# 17
05-31-2012, 10:19 AM
They didn't contradict themselves on this issue. There's not even a note to that efect on Memory Alpha.