Lt. Commander
# 51
05-31-2012, 06:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegeek View Post
Your argument is basically that LTS should be exclusive, not that it should provide value. As long as existing LTS accounts get their full value for less than what a monthly subscriber would get, then exclusivity shouldn't matter that much.

This idea sounds a bit like what NCSoft did with their Paragon Rewards program. As a veteran player, I lost nothing in the conversion that I'd already earned and got the ability to earn more rewards without becoming a regular subscriber. (Not that I took advantage of that, but the possibility was there...)

I'm glad to hear that Cryptic is thinking along these lines.
Well, I'm not in agreement with you and I'm just going to leave it at that.

This thread looks far too much along the lines of some other "discussions" that turned bad so I'm leaving. Hope this doesn't end the same way.
Lt. Commander
# 52
05-31-2012, 07:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpt.William2 View Post
Well, I'm not in agreement with you and I'm just going to leave it at that.

This thread looks far too much along the lines of some other "discussions" that turned bad. Hope this doesn't end the same way.
I really think the particulars of what the rewards would be are irrelevant and will be determined by marketing and accounting. The principles of the idea are where we'd have more say.

Can you think of any other player activities it would be justifiably for Cryptic to financially support with a reinvestment program like this? Forms of player driven community activity and marketing basically.
Lt. Commander
# 53
05-31-2012, 07:11 PM
I can see a few people have already posted my thoughts, so I'll make a summery and not a long winded post.

I really like the premise of the idea, currently the CRM (Customer Relationship Management) for Cryptic is a mess, this is due to them implementing so many different systems and stratagies without thinking about how well they integrate with each other. With a bit of polish this idea has merit, but if it is done incorrectly (or if Cryptic get greedy) it could easily backfire.
I'd be aware of the legality of the system, since it vaguely falls under the laws regarding pyramid schemes in some countries (you recruit someone into the system and you recieve a reward that the other person doesn't get unless they recruit someone, more so since some of the things you can earn have considerable value).

I don't think veteran rewards should be in there, I feel this could actually cause damage to the retention of some players and hurt subscriber numbers, this depends on how expensive the veteran rewards are in some respects, but it should probably be avoided IMHO.
I'd also leave out LTS rewards as well, although I understand the logic of someone who brings $300 of revenue to the game should be rewarded with values of that, by giving a person the rewards from an LTS, you may well actually damage the sale of LTS's, but also you may also drive away customers who feel that thier uniqueness is been given away. I'll admit even after all this time I'm stil bitter about all the pre-order items been put in the C-store (more so since I brought multiple copies of the game when they were at full markup value to get them!).

I do like the idea of the Lockbox ships been in the system though and I'd be very interested to see what value they gave them if they did add them, since that would give an idea of how much money Cryptic seems them actually been worth :-)
Overall though, I do like the idea, it just needs to be well thought though before implementation, especially with things like retroactivly rewarding points for people like myself who already have LTS's or who have already brought most of thier friends to the game already with previous referral systems.

It's ironic you've been posting so much about these strategies since my final exam project in Multimedia Design and Communication is actually heavily focused on the marketing and promotion of games using the Freemium model, lol
Lt. Commander
# 54
05-31-2012, 07:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathan99
I really think the particulars of what the rewards would be are irrelevant and will be determined by marketing and accounting. The principles of the idea are where we'd have more say.

Can you think of any other player activities it would be justifiably for Cryptic to financially support with a reinvestment program like this? Forms of player driven community activity and marketing basically.
I edited my post to be a little clearer.

I don't agree with the rewards and only partially with the principles. I'm sticking to that for all the good it will do
Lt. Commander
# 55
05-31-2012, 09:12 PM
I'd very much like to see more incentive for people to get / have LTS, plus the past and present normal subscribers.

The scamboxes will burn out sooner or later, Cryptic must know that. Rewarding those that pay money into the game skmply to play it would only entice more to do so. When ppl ask me what the point is of being a subscriber i say "there is none, stop paying unless you leveling a new toon and want respec tokens!"
Lt. Commander
# 56
05-31-2012, 09:14 PM
Go look at the City of Heroes Paragon Rewards system, it works amazingly well for sub and f2p accounts.

General info here.

Account type comparisons here.

A similar setup should work equally well here.
Lt. Commander
# 57
05-31-2012, 10:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKeith2011
Go look at the City of Heroes Paragon Rewards system, it works amazingly well for sub and f2p accounts.

General info here.

Account type comparisons here.

A similar setup should work equally well here.
i'll add to that PW's http://core.perfectworld.com/tokenshop/?game=fw token shop.

why not bring sto into it, or create something similar for sto
Lt. Commander
# 58
06-01-2012, 02:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by caliban149
I don't like the ides much.
... I absolutely despise with a passion any system that encourages you to "Signup your friends!!"

All this results in is:
A) The player being bombarded with messages "reminding" them of all the wonderful things they could get if the E-mail bomb their outbox.
B) The non-player being bombarded with messages from their (so-called) friends, in a transparent attempt to use your "friendship" to get something for themselves.
This kind of thing represents the absolute worst of the already pretty hideous idea of "Social** Networks"

Secondly, I actually think Cryptic should be bending over backwards to reward people who make high rated foundry missions (you seemed to bung this on the end as a token pat on the back).

Some of the foundry content I have played is at least as good (if not better) as the stuff cryptic produces, often much truer to canon as well. I find this impressive due to the more limited toolset available

The fact is I consider this to be the only actual new content that is being released for STO.
Whats a new ship or item? Pretty eyecandy, with gameplay balanced to fit into everything else.
What are you going to DO with your new ship? The same 3 STF's again? Fly around looking for DOFF missions?

Good foundry authors are doing your job for you Cryptic . . . you should be rewarding them.
If you're gonna give out rewards, these are the people you should be giving them to.

* The reason I don't spend much is mainly because there is very little that is either worth buying or that represents good value for money. I think top priority should be fixing this issue personally.

** Which is a totally antithetic name, Social Networks are anything but.
this and the vet rewards should stay out of the system
Lt. Commander
# 59
06-01-2012, 04:00 AM
Cryptic will only do it if it generates additional money. They won`t give up lockboxes. Also: this game doesn`t need more players. It needs more content.

I`m quite sure, this game is very profitable -related to other f2p mmos. If they haven`t reached the critical mass of players to be profitable now, they never will. Maybe this game wouldn`t be underfunded if they wouldn`t take its revenues to develop neverwinter.
Lt. Commander
# 60
06-01-2012, 10:28 AM
I disagree the more players the more money the better chance we have on getting new content. I do like the concept of the OP's idea we need a new reward system.