Lt. Commander
# 161
05-26-2012, 05:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by w0qj View Post
==> Anyone else share a similar view?
I'm not suggesting that STO become a clone of anything.

What I am suggesting is that player choice is the most immersive aspect in MMO gaming. My pirate analogy was used simply to illustrate how a pitacy game mechanic could be implemented IF the developers so desired. It would allways be there waiting to be used, and it would likely be used most commonly on the KDF side, because Conquest and Glorious Battle play into a pirate mentality. Some of the races that are part of the Klingon Empire in 2409 have a known history of piracy.

Now the UFP is not without its own documented cases of Piracy. When the Federation-Cardassian treaty was signed and Federation colonists were told they either had to leave their homes or give up their rights as Federation citizens if they stay, the Maquis were born. Theirs was a cause of survival, more or less, but they employed acts of piracy to achieve their goals. And there were Starleet Captains who CHOSE to to draw a line in the sand and cross it. The actions of piracy were ALWAYS at their disposal. But they did not use them unless they wanted to go down a path that would label them as traitors and targets to be hunted down and brought to justice. The cause of the Maquis was to some enough to justify such a move.

Now the wisdom of including such a skillset is debatable. Again, I was using it to illustrate players choice of mechanics to pursue. I do not want to see STO take a major departure from the themes of Star Trek as we have seen them in the shows. Based on past experiences with other MMOs, you give players a tool and they will use it. If Piracy became a mechanic available to the UFP, then we would see renegade captains popping up all over the place. So if it WERE to be added, it would need to be a contextual trigger like the cause of the Maquis to make sure that it is structured. So we couldn't make the choice to turn renegade on a whim, but rather for a reason.

This is another situation where conditionally-triggered narative content would come into play, and would likely be reflective of a situation that would have been brewing for quite some time, but never resolved, and finally comes to a head. Like the circumstances surrounding the birth of the Maquis. And it would have to be done in such a way that the player will understand that once he or she crosses the line, there would be no going back.
Lt. Commander
# 162
05-26-2012, 10:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainQuirk View Post
This is another situation where conditionally-triggered narative content would come into play, and would likely be reflective of a situation that would have been brewing for quite some time, but never resolved, and finally comes to a head. Like the circumstances surrounding the birth of the Maquis. And it would have to be done in such a way that the player will understand that once he or she crosses the line, there would be no going back.
Sadly there is only so far we can get as players. I just wish that the devs themselves could give feedback on ideas such as this or the Starship tier revamp.
Lt. Commander
# 163
05-26-2012, 11:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by centersolace
Sadly there is only so far we can get as players. I just wish that the devs themselves could give feedback on ideas such as this or the Starship tier revamp.
Yep.

I really don't know what they are going to do. I see what they COULD do if they do take the more mechanics-oriented direction for development, and depending on how well they design those mechanics, the game could offer far more in terms of meaningful gameplay than it ever has. Where what we do actually MEANS something beyond our own personal experience, and everyone will be able to play off it.

It all boils down to one simple question: If they DO have a plan, what in the name of James Tiberius Kirk is it?
Lt. Commander
# 164
05-26-2012, 07:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainQuirk View Post
It all boils down to one simple question: If they DO have a plan, what in the name of James Tiberius Kirk is it?
This silence only continues the confusion.
Lt. Commander
# 165
05-26-2012, 07:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by centersolace
This silence only continues the confusion.
Their not really totally silent...

It's just that the friendly (and not so friendly) discussions have been curtailed.

The STO Iron Curtain still lets Official Posts come through, there's just no longer any backroom chatter going on.

(though Tumerboy did manage to sneak through a message that he was still listening)
Lt. Commander
# 166
05-31-2012, 04:28 PM
Whats being suggested is sort of similar to the factions part of guild wars where the map and npc's found at towns/camps were altered as the political landscape changed.

In GW it was done on a pvp basis which might breathe a bit more life into the kdf, having something of a larger goal to work towards. And yet it did influence the pve world, siding with kurzick or luxon would potentially lock you from the slayer based rep for example.
Lt. Commander
# 167
05-31-2012, 06:12 PM
From what admins have said when closing threads is that their statements in threads end them and they seem to miss out on that there are threads still going on this and they have to answer for it instead of spinning it.