Lt. Commander
# 1 Please, no more sets!
06-01-2012, 09:08 AM
Without new blood PvP fails. We need to attract more players, not give them more excuses to avoid PvP.

The incentive to PvP isn't the gear, it never was. Nor will gear specific to PvP attract players who aren't interested in PvP. You may get some farmers to grind out the sets but, bonus achieved, they go away never to return.

Many players come to PvP curious, only to get blown away and never return. Instead of spending dev time on gimmicks, spend those same dev hours on balance, a working matchmaker system, and a method to bend the learning curve so that new PvP'ers aren't insta-ganked.

Adding more gear to separate the PvP player from the casual player will have the opposite of the intended effect: it will create in the minds of the non- or would-be- PvP'er that without gear he can't succeed at PvP, and without success in PvP he can't get gear. Justified or not, this concept will do more harm to PvP than any shineys and omg consoles can heal.
Lt. Commander
# 2
06-01-2012, 09:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by brian334
Without new blood PvP fails. We need to attract more players, not give them more excuses to avoid PvP.

The incentive to PvP isn't the gear, it never was. Nor will gear specific to PvP attract players who aren't interested in PvP. You may get some farmers to grind out the sets but, bonus achieved, they go away never to return.

Many players come to PvP curious, only to get blown away and never return. Instead of spending dev time on gimmicks, spend those same dev hours on balance, a working matchmaker system, and a method to bend the learning curve so that new PvP'ers aren't insta-ganked.

Adding more gear to separate the PvP player from the casual player will have the opposite of the intended effect: it will create in the minds of the non- or would-be- PvP'er that without gear he can't succeed at PvP, and without success in PvP he can't get gear. Justified or not, this concept will do more harm to PvP than any shineys and omg consoles can heal.
Then why have PvE sets? If you dont have borg gear are you liability when doing stfs with your team? Having sets really killed the reason for having non-set gear. I would not be opposed if they removed or changed sets though.
Lt. Commander
# 3
06-01-2012, 09:34 AM
Having no gear as incentive to PvP is what we have now. Does it help?

In fact, the time when there was gear in the PvP marks shop, PvP was more alive then it is now. There used to be a time where people were after those Mark XI Covariant [CAP]x3 shields, only available for Marks of Honor.

The Sets should certainly not be better than the STF sets, but these sets already exist, and they are used in PvP - almost any harcore PvPer at some points grinds the STFs to get the gear. The ridiculous thing is that PvPers need to stop PvPIng to get something useful (and arguably only relevant there and nowhere else) for PvP.
Lt. Commander
# 4
06-01-2012, 10:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MustrumRidcully View Post
The ridiculous thing is that PvPers need to stop PvPIng to get something useful (and arguably only relevant there and nowhere else) for PvP.
This is the bit that really gets me.

Eebul dev: Want some awesum gear to pew with? Go run eleven billion stf's for a rtandom drop
PvP'er: OK, starts doing some stf's
Eebul dev: Look at out metrics; nobody plays much pvp any more
PvP'er: Well, I'm still grinding out this ludicrous stf drop table to get epic gear to pvp. I have 6 toons to gear, you know.
Eebul dev: We might as well remove it if nobody plays it
PvP'er: ...
Lt. Commander
# 5
06-01-2012, 10:21 AM
We could ask that all sets be disabled for PvP and only common, non-set (white, blue,green,purple)equipment be viable instead.......
Lt. Commander
# 6
06-01-2012, 11:06 AM
If I could get the STF gear (or different sets with the same stats and abilities) through PvP, I'd be happy. However, I'd be happy if sets were disabled as well, at least on the ground.

The thing that gets me is that you don't even need the PvE sets to compete in PvE, but you need them to compete in PvP it seems.
Lt. Commander
# 7
06-01-2012, 11:22 AM
Maybe I'm nuts, but at this point I say the more sets the better as long as they are viable options. There is not going back, so as long as they keep coming up with different gear that can work for different strategies I'm ok with it. Before season 5 90% of better players were running borg set with aegis shields. Now there are a few combos that work well.
Lt. Commander
# 8
06-01-2012, 12:06 PM
need moar sets!! MOAR i say :O
Lt. Commander
# 9
06-01-2012, 12:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_Trainor
This is the bit that really gets me.
Eebul dev: Want some awesum gear to pew with? Go run eleven billion stf's for a rtandom drop
PvP'er: OK, starts doing some stf's
Eebul dev: Look at out metrics; nobody plays much pvp any more
PvP'er: Well, I'm still grinding out this ludicrous stf drop table to get epic gear to pvp. I have 6 toons to gear, you know.
Eebul dev: We might as well remove it if nobody plays it
PvP'er: ...
Good point, this is the same self-fulfilling prophecy that's lead to the lack of development and lack of playerbase in the KDF.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MustrumRidcully View Post
In fact, the time when there was gear in the PvP marks shop, PvP was more alive then it is now. There used to be a time where people were after those Mark XI Covariant [CAP]x3 shields, only available for Marks of Honor.
Perhaps it would be worthwhile to examine the metrics from when Marks of Honor were still in place, and compare them to recent data (I.E, post-addition of STF grindable gear). Perhaps that would make a case for re-implementing the Marks of Honor system.

That's another thing that really gets me- the transition to F2P was all about dissolving currencies into one form. Yet, the addition of the Lobi store and EDC's and whatnot seem counterintuitive.

Point-blank: PVP needs it's own gear, obtainable purely through PVP. Not only 'gear sets' (Deflectors, Shields, and Engines) but also weapons and consoles.

The addition of PVP gear sets and weapons/consoles should deal directly with the problems presenting themselves now in PVP- pets, and energy drains. I'm not sure where to go after that, but it surely seems like a logical place to start.
Lt. Commander
# 10
06-01-2012, 01:20 PM
Does not the DL store basically fill the role of the old Mark Store?

if PvP sets arise, I would like to see a KDF melee set that accents the fact that most Klingons would rather face thier enemy with a blade than a disruptor.