Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > C-Store, ZEN, and Promotions
Login

Lt. Commander
# 11
05-31-2012, 01:15 PM
thx for the input! much appreshiated!

But in the case of nomad class understandable from a CBS point of view...looks nothing like starfleet, should have rejected the whole starcruiser designs...and put in an ambassador styled ship. But i guess there are people out there that actually like the starcruiser skins...i for one don't.
Lt. Commander
# 12
06-01-2012, 04:02 AM
push

i really want my question to be answered, it can't be that hard to give an estimation that doesn't ranges from one year to one week.
Lt. Commander
# 13
06-01-2012, 05:32 AM
The common sense answer was already put forth, it varies ship to ship. There are multiple things in development at one time and they get differing amounts of priority depending on schedule changes. For everyitem that does come out there are likely several that don't that are cast off in different stages of development for different reasons.
Lt. Commander
# 14
06-01-2012, 11:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raudl View Post
push

i really want my question to be answered, it can't be that hard to give an estimation that doesn't ranges from one year to one week.
They could either provide the shortest time it took to create a ship and the longest time it took to create a ship or the average time it took to create a ship. Also, if they were to build a ship from last year from scratch now, it would take less time due to the devs understanding the ship creation process better. There is also the fact that CapnLogan was working on ships for most of the ships and now JamJamz and lcdrmiller0918 are doing ships now since CapnLogan's departure of March 2012. Therefore, different people can affect how quickly ships are made so the current ship team might have an average of 2 months for building a ship, but with the same team and no hires, then it might be 1 month.

Also, the question of how long does it take to build a ship is too vague. Each type of ship has a different set of time requirements. A shuttle taking 2 months would be embarrassing. What should be asked is how long does it take to build a shuttle, how long does it take to build a 2000 CP ship, etc. Also, a more accurate measurement of time should be man-hours since ships might not be worked on for weeks due to permission from CBS.

Therefore, there is no simple answer to this question since each ship is different is size, ability, and quirks.
Lt. Commander
# 15
06-01-2012, 11:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnBludd View Post
The common sense answer was already put forth, it varies ship to ship. There are multiple things in development at one time and they get differing amounts of priority depending on schedule changes. For everyitem that does come out there are likely several that don't that are cast off in different stages of development for different reasons.
Yes, but they could still give us the average.
Lt. Commander
# 16
06-01-2012, 11:43 PM
Raudl, maybe the question needs to be redefined. Obviously things can get rejected which delays the process or items may need to be modified.

So how about these questions instead.

1) how long does it take to create an item to a point where it can be initially submitted to CBS for approval?

2) Once approved how long does it take to get the item to the players.

3) what are the design steps that must be taken internally before you can even present it to CBS? (Sketches/concept art, Direction/purpose of item, Role it will play in game)

I'm sure these items are discuses in house before hand and that several iterations of an item are created to refine it. Not just the whole lest just slap a saucer and nacelles to the hull for a fed ship as has been implied in previous interviews with certain people.
Lt. Commander
# 17
06-02-2012, 01:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob_mc_1 View Post
Raudl, maybe the question needs to be redefined. Obviously things can get rejected which delays the process or items may need to be modified.

So how about these questions instead.

1) how long does it take to create an item to a point where it can be initially submitted to CBS for approval?

2) Once approved how long does it take to get the item to the players.

3) what are the design steps that must be taken internally before you can even present it to CBS? (Sketches/concept art, Direction/purpose of item, Role it will play in game)

I'm sure these items are discuses in house before hand and that several iterations of an item are created to refine it. Not just the whole lest just slap a saucer and nacelles to the hull for a fed ship as has been implied in previous interviews with certain people.
Nice! Thx for refrasing it.

So now, anybody got an answer to those questions?
Lt. Commander
# 18
06-08-2012, 06:33 PM
Bump, bump, bumpity, bump.
Lt. Commander
# 19
06-09-2012, 08:40 AM
also very interesting how it takes foundry users just a few weeks to come up with a whole story arch...and cryptic doing it as a profession seems to need years to do 1.
Ok, ok...they do voice overs, cut scenes, etc...but still, it seems to be a slap in the face to see how much more productive some foundry writers are. Maybe they should just hire them on a freelance bases.
Lt. Commander
# 20
06-10-2012, 02:21 PM
ahhh, push it, p-p-p-push it, push it real good