Lt. Commander
# 1 Poll: Pvps Biggest Problem
06-02-2012, 03:01 PM
Whats wrong with pvp? instead of a lognwinded-never read by anyone post, just select from these options and tell me why. In order of my belief as to whats most important.....

1. No purpose. Nothing to lose or gain, no scoreboards, no point to pvp but pvp itself. Give us a reason and I dare predict we will be flushed with old and new pvpers alike.

2. Powers out of whack. Everoyne will have their own take, but it is clear to most playes, certin powers are imbalanced and need fine tuning. My pet peeves: empts and tac team, too much uptime no opportunity cost.

3. Vague cheats/ exploits. If not actually damaging the game from use, the spectre of cheats remains a threat. All too easy to disregard a loss and claim "they cheated is all". Id put this higher as I really really hate when people lose and instantly blame the enemy for cheating, it belies their minimal understanding of the game. Documented evidenced exploits are one thing, but willy nilly accusing everyone who beats u of "hax" is bad for the game. All cheats and exploits need to be hammered out and erased.

4. Too much pet spam/strong pets. This one hardly merits a comment from me, I simply dont see the problem, or care abotu the crap carriers 1000fail pets. but hey if you do feel free to rant about it

5. Premades/teamwork
Despite jokingly complining about this last month, premades and high skilled team players only are a problem when they make themselves one. People who are friendly and offering of advice, even welcoming to take in new players to train, can not be blamed for playing with their friends. (they can be blamed for refusing a challenge and just fighting pugs.. but no one does that)

6. Afkers. Really big pet peeve of mine, but i foresee you will always have thois, no mater what reqwards/losses there are. Just remember who they are and be prepared to fight one mand down when "koandi" is on your team.....

thats all for now, feel free to add ur own gripes. ah, the cathartic release of venting frustration
Lt. Commander
# 2
06-02-2012, 04:48 PM
You missed the biggest one: learning curve. The single most discouraging thing for a new player in the current setup is to face guys who have played for a year or more with no way to acquire the knowledge he needs just to begin the learning process. A new player has to face hundreds of respawns, not just a few, before he learns the right questions to ask.

The game as it's set up now demands you go from virtually no knowledge to pro with no intermediate steps or peer matching. Players who have played for two years tend to forget that when they were noobs, so was everyone else, and you learned together. New guys don't have that advantage.

Imagine if in every match you were solo facing a Panda or Spanish Inquisition premade: this is the hurdle noobs face when entering PvP PuG matches, even with no premade on the other side. The noob literally has no chance. It's a miracle any of us stick around long enough to begin to learn the game at all, and absolutely no surprise more don't PvP.

The other six choices pale by comparison to this one.
Lt. Commander
# 3
06-02-2012, 05:09 PM
7. Bug-ridden PVP zones.
Lt. Commander
# 4
06-02-2012, 05:13 PM
I try to be a nice guy.

I really do.

All I ask in return is that people die when I tell them to die.

But will they? Noooooo. Some of them even try to kill me back.

This is my problem.
Lt. Commander
# 5
06-02-2012, 06:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveHale View Post
I try to be a nice guy.

I really do.

This is my problem.
Some one tries to kill you, you kill'm right back -Mal
Lt. Commander
# 6
06-02-2012, 06:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveHale View Post
I try to be a nice guy.

I really do.

This is my problem.
I usually end up killing myself most of the time
Lt. Commander
# 7
06-02-2012, 07:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by maicake716
Some one tries to kill you, you kill'm right back -Mal
That's the plan!

Well, what you plan and what takes place ain't ever exactly been similar. - Jayne
Lt. Commander
# 8
06-02-2012, 07:45 PM
I cannot choose one, but i will select the options from highest to lowest priority:

1 No real purpose, nothing to win, etc.

3 Powers out of balance/wack whatever

4 Pet/NPC spam but honestly i dont really carea bout the spam but rather their unbalance. The balance issue here is often that the spam can be put out way faster then u can kill them. Siphons and TB pets etc.

6 Happens once in a while, personally didnt really bother me that much.

3, i wont categorize this in my priority list, but yes this is very important. Im not aware of any exploits/cheats atm other then some really unbalanced consoles/effects etc. Not sure if voldy is still around (The station one, u know what i mean) but if it does it should be erased. This option 3 would go on the top of the list if a new cheat like that would suddenly appear with a patch though, beware.

>

I am fully behind my statements about the spam and unbalance in some parts of the game, and Im definately not the one that uses any P2W console that are considered too effective for that particular (1) ship slot. I dont use any of them myself, except the impulse capacitor very so often, last time must've been a month ago. I will request of anyone to de-equip their consoles when i do 1v1 mostly, if they do not want to comply I either call it off, or Ill give it a shot knowing that some console abilities are just a 1 clicker and the game mechanics do the rest for you. Im not really a complainer about it though, so if people want to use them its fine with me. if they decide their success in pvp, thats fine with me.

Cool kthx chnk.
Lt. Commander
# 9
06-02-2012, 11:15 PM
The largest problem with PvP in my view -- which has remained the same since I played STO in Beta -- is matchmaking.

Regardless of abilities / powers / equipment / what have you, if everyone has access to the same things (which they by and large do), then any PvP imbalance is with how they are using that stuff -- player skill, strategy, and tactics (from build and team configuration to battlefield maneuvers).

Therefore, the reason why PvP is not enjoyable to the masses is that they are not being matched up against opponents more appropriate to their skill level.

At the moment, matchmaking is solely random, with team queueing as the only controlled factor. I had proposed a participation-based rating and matchmaking system (which quantifies 'skill' by calculating player output, input, and objective scoring). Gozer stated that he will be developing something along similar lines.
Lt. Commander
# 10
06-02-2012, 11:33 PM
There aren't enough people.

You either get into a match with people who don't know what they're doing and fight against/with them 6 or 7 times in a row, or you get into a match against a premade 6 or 7 times in a row. I can only hope the pvp overhaul is successful in bringing in more people.