Lt. Commander
# 41
06-01-2012, 01:02 PM
Well, we still have a lot to go on. Maybe we could start by prototyping sort of a story mission and see where it goes from there.

Thoughts?
Lt. Commander
# 42
06-01-2012, 01:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainQuirk View Post
DO NOT POST IT HERE...

KEEP IT TO YOURSELF...

If this is an original concept, do not just give it out to anyone.
THIS! DEAR GOD THIS!
Lt. Commander
# 43
06-01-2012, 08:37 PM
as someone who's written a masters thesis, albeit on a different topic/subject, here is my 2 cents.

get it published first. then provide a copy to the devs. then post a link here. that way, you get feed back and if you have a published date, and someone from PWE/Cryptic yanks it and decides its a great idea and doesn't credit you for it, nor gives you royalties from it, you have a course of action to take.

but dont outright publish anything on here without having it published first. as much as most of us would love to read it, i would hate for PWI to steal your original ideas and use them while giving no credit to you. chinese companies (a lot of companies really, no matter where in the world- but especially chinese companies) do engage in industrial and corporate espionage to a high degree. if you dont have it published and they steal your IP, you have no recourse for it. even if you do and they steal it, at least you have recourse and will get a nice settlement from it

hell if you want, send me a pm and ill read it and make some suggestions- fellow master to soon to be master id love to read it and give suggestions to you
Lt. Commander
# 44
06-01-2012, 09:23 PM
I did post earlier because the ideas that drove the matrice was of interest. As you have elaborated the idea remains interesting but I have to question how engaging it might remain as a recurring event. While it would certainly provide players with something to do I don't see it as a viable replacement for real stories.

I was disappointed initially when Cryptic indicated that story content was being placed on hiatus at least in the near future but was encouraged more recently as they seem to be looking toward the foundry commuinity as a source of content.

If the development team devotes resources to any story development tool I feel it should be the foundry. As they already have taken time to bring it to the state it exists in presently I feel it would be the most proactive course of action to refine and improve upon it.

Simulating a story regardless of where the method of telling might be sourced from is going to remain a process of random numbers when placed in the "hands" of a sequence of routines. A great foundry tool would allow many authors to produce real stories that are important and relevant to them.

I would like someone to tell me their stories. I hope that a majority of the users who play STO do so because they have a passion for things Trek. Because of this I have faith that someone out there would tell me a Trek story that I want to be part of. If someone would share that experience with me I might find the courage to share a story of my own.
Lt. Commander
# 45
06-01-2012, 09:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by horridperson
I did post earlier because the ideas that drove the matrice was of interest. As you have elaborated the idea remains interesting but I have to question how engaging it might remain as a recurring event. While it would certainly provide players with something to do I don't see it as a viable replacement for real stories.
Replacement? Nah. Worth making it one person's job after being setup? Probably.
Lt. Commander
# 46
06-01-2012, 09:42 PM
And none of the story is sourced here.

Progression is gated by random drops that require you to visit the existing missions, exploration clusters, or other content of your choice.

So you may be reliant on RNG (or trading) to continue. That's the extent of RNG here.
Lt. Commander
# 47
06-02-2012, 05:26 AM
Leviathan99, If you could sell your idea then sell it but don't give it away.

I know you post a lot on these forums and I don't always like your idea's but I can see your an intelligent man by reading many of your threads, if your idea is as good as you say it is then someone might be willing to buy it from you, the money is better in your pocket. Or just keep it.
Lt. Commander
# 48
06-03-2012, 12:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainQuirk View Post
DO NOT POST IT HERE...

KEEP IT TO YOURSELF...

If this is an original concept, do not just give it out to anyone.
Exactly this. Cryptic does not deserve such good ideas.