Go Back   Star Trek Online > Information and Discussion > Ten Forward
Login

Lt. Commander
# 21
06-01-2012, 03:42 PM
Oh. I thought it was just slapped together last-minute because they were cancelled and Terra Prime was meant to be the finale. If it was pre-meditated that makes it even worse, in my opinion.

Pegasus is a fine TNG episode, it has that great Captain Picard Day opening scene.
Lt. Commander
# 22
06-01-2012, 05:33 PM
1. ST:TOS
2. Wrath of Kahn
3. Undiscovered Country
4. Voyage Home
5. Nu Trek
6. ST: TNG
7. ST: DS9
8. ST: Voy
9. First Contact.
10. The Motion Picture
11. Insurrection (A wonderful two part episode despite the joystick)
12. ST: ENT

And the rest aren't worth bothering to rank.

I place Nu Trek over the TNG series because all three of them have aged pretty badly and Nu Trek was a fun way to spend an evening out. They're just as "very 90s" as TOS was "very 60s". But not enough time has passed to give them some retro charm. Perhaps in another decade.

I also think that if Enterprise had waited a half dozen years after Voyager wearing out Trek's welcome to start, and started with the same crew they had in season four, it could have been a better experience than it was.
Lt. Commander
# 23
06-01-2012, 06:31 PM
TV series:
1. Voyager (I liked the characters and the main story plot of the series also had some of the coolest alien species I think also I grew up watching this show as a kid/ "Blink of an Eye" was also my favorite episode from any Star Trek show.)
2. TNG (It had some of the greatest writing I have seen in any TV series aside from NCIS.)
3. ENT (Liked the story and I thought the way the producers made it more in line with TV shows in the early 2,000s made sense)
4. DS9 (Just finished the whole series not too long ago, it took too long for the series to kick off although bringing in O’Brien for the whole series as a man cast was the best thing they did.)
5. TOS (ehh I thought it was good, but people hyped it up way too much for me and I probably was expecting way too much out of it.)
6 TAS (Had some nice parts, some episodes are okay, but I mean really it is animated most of us like watching actors play roles not special effects do all the work.)
Lt. Commander
# 24
06-01-2012, 07:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by walkincrow
Been re watching allot of DS9, it is such a good show. Way of the Warrior, Sacrifice of Angels, The Die is Cast, In the Pale Moonlight, The Search, and of course, The Magnificent Ferengi, all such great episodes

I'm not a big Enterprise fan either, but there are allot of good episodes in the last season. There is a 3 story series with renegade human augments, starring Brent Spiner as Dr. Soong. It's very entertaining and begins with "Borderland". Also a 2 part story set in the mirror universe called "In a Mirror Darkly", again very entertaining.
I think I caught some of those. I also caught the pilot episode when it first aired (ENT)
Lt. Commander
# 25
06-02-2012, 09:21 AM
I... I admit that Enterprise is my favourite series. It's really interesting getting to Starfleets first voyages to the stars, and all the problems that come with it. Admittidly I got a bit WTF when Archer informed us of his diplomatic training and then doing everything diplomets shoudln't do ever.

but yea:-

1: ENT (Reasoned above)
2: TOS, 'cause it's always really fun to watch
3: DS9 I like the ongoing storylines
4: TNG
5: Voyager, last on my list but as flawed as it is, I still like it. had lot's of potential to be great, otherwise good entertainment.

Movies wise

1: ST 2009, I know a lot of people don't like the reboot because it's more action and effects than story... but first, I think the story is pretty solid, and it makes me feel bad for these people who have gotten involved in a genocide attack for something that wouldn't happen in 100 or so years, and having their very destinies changed because of it.
2:First contact is one of my fav movies period.
3: Generations, was alriiight, I'd say average. Data was kinda annoying, mostly 'cause of the suddeness of the emotion chip suddenly existing.

I've not really seen much more of the movies, but my absolute least fav is definatly Insurraction. Seriously... everything just gets cringy, from the plot to the characters, to the sudden appearence of a joystick controlling the complex starship. That could have worked like in enterprise, I surprisinly liked it then, but it was done horribly here.
Lt. Commander
# 26
06-02-2012, 11:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_E_D_Allen89
For the sake of amusement I think we could use a opinion poll to lighten the mood around the forums.

Rank your favorite shows - rational for that listing.

Rank your favorite Movies- rational for that

If you wanna get in depth list your favorite episode and your least favorite episode.

Here is mine.

Movies first.

1. Star Trek II The Wrath of Khan- Its got everything from drama, action, excellent ship to ship combat, Khan, and of course emotional tug.

2. Star Trek First Contact- Again this could be a case of 1a and 1b with Wrath of Khan since It has Picard struggling with a horrible event in his life as the Borg are trying to assimilate Earth in the past. It has ship to ship action for the battle of sector 001 and a aspect of ship invasion.

3. Star Trek IV The Voyage Home- This one was a fair amount of comedy and yet a good entry in the TOS movies. Also a very good environmental message about mankinds immature attitude to consume everything.

4. Star Trek VI The Undiscovered Country- The Swan Song for the Original Crew was a very good film that closed out this era of Star Trek. The lack of action sequences was further proof of the aging TOS crew so they had to play mystery, thriller, and political intrigue.

5. Star Trek XI(2009)- This film with its plot holes and less achieving character development still was an impressive and nostalgic entry for old time fans. Given seeing Spock again as a very old version of this character was good to see him. The action was top notch as expected and the special effects were also top notch.

6. Star Trek III The Search for Spock- This entry was one of the few decent entries as it had a lot of things to take care of after the previous film. As this movie dealt with rebirth of SPock and Kirk's attempt to sacrifice all to save his friend.

7. Star Trek Generations- This was a good starting point for the TNG cast and a fond farewell to a few left over TOS characters. Kirks death was the breaking point of this film as the beginning of the film was a better end for the seemingly eternal Captain.

8. Star Trek Insurrection- Not the best Star Trek movie and had very little go right.

9.Star Trek The Motion Picture- Same as the above and could have been a great film if it had fixed its pacing and had more action to it.

10. Star Trek V The Final Frontier- This film had a interesting concept in finding God and had some interesting emotions behind the three main characters. This film as I had read somewhere had a 3rd of the movie cut.

11. Star Trek Nemesis- OMG, again like the above movie could have been a lot better had they worked on the dialogue, story elements, and a new Director. It seems like the trend with Trek movies seems to be evens are good, odds ok to eh, and every fifth is a terrible one. Anyway I digress. This film did have its good spots Tom Hardy, Patrick Stewart, Brent, Jonathan's acting. The battle sequence in the Bassan Rift was perhaps probably the best part of the film.

TV Series.

TOS- The one that started it all. Of course though it had a couple bad episodes but this series was good.

TNG- For a different series this one was excellent.

DS9- Still watching this one all the way through and so far I like it. Sisko is awesome.

Voyager- I did not have a ton of gripes with this series unlike a lot of people but bad thing was the final 2 seasons lacked cohesion needed to give this show a better send off.

Enterprise- Oh boy this series was just meh and just not that good. Though it did have bright spots.

This is all my opinon though I would like to see other peoples
Agree with the OP on all counts except I liked Enterprise better than Voyager. I think Voyager ran too close to the end of DS 9's final season, and to me it just wasn't as good. I was overseas when Enterprise first aired, so I missed it.Maybe I liked it because they re-aired it on SyFy channel a few years ago, and I was Trek starved by then.So Enterprise beats out Voyager to me.Other than that, I think the Op has similar Trek tastes to mine.
Lt. Commander
# 27
06-03-2012, 12:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by centersolace
I won't list the movies, because it has been years since i have seen some of them, and my opinions would be very different if i saw them today.

So... TV shows.

1. TNG: Hands down the best, great characters, good chemistry, learned from its mistakes in the 1st and 2nd seasons and gave us episodes like "Inner Light" and "All Good Things".

2. TOS: The one that started it all, and a fantastic series if you can forgive the aged special effects. Had great moments (Trouble with Tribbles, Doomsday Machine) and some lousy ones (Spocks Brain).

3. VOY: Defiantly a roller-coaster of quality. Some of the best Star Trek moments (Doctor!) followed by some of the unquestionably worst. (Time Travel Police, WTF) But some of my fonder childhood memories.

4. ENT: THIS COULD HAVE BEEN SO AWESOME BUT NOOOOOOOooooooo...... That's pretty much it really. So much could have been done, but no, and canceled after three seasons.

N/A DS9& TAS: I've seen like three episodes between the two, that's not enough to judge. They don't look as terrible as people say they are though.
Hey man, I know exactly how you feel about DS9. I felt like that for YEARS. I saw the first episode and maybe another one some time later when it was running and hated it. Just a couple of months ago I started watching it and for some weird reason, forced myself to continue watching it and it honestly gets better and better and keeps ytou on the edge of your seat probably more often than TNG.

Seriously, I've never cared so much about ST characters as I did in DS9. It had really deep messages, drama, twists and turns, it's a really awesome series - You just have to kinda tough it out for a bit.

Then again, I think that's true with most Trek.
Lt. Commander
# 28
06-03-2012, 08:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff_484
Hey man, I know exactly how you feel about DS9. I felt like that for YEARS. I saw the first episode and maybe another one some time later when it was running and hated it. Just a couple of months ago I started watching it and for some weird reason, forced myself to continue watching it and it honestly gets better and better and keeps ytou on the edge of your seat probably more often than TNG.

Seriously, I've never cared so much about ST characters as I did in DS9. It had really deep messages, drama, twists and turns, it's a really awesome series - You just have to kinda tough it out for a bit.

Then again, I think that's true with most Trek.
DS9 did turn me off a few years ago when I watched one or two seasons then switched to VOY.

The issue with DS9 is that it starts off very dark and droll and even the main protagonist (Sisko) hated his assignment which was totally screwed up to say the least. However, once the characters grow into their new responsibillities, forge new alliances and overcome various adversities, it started to become something close to heart due to the (semi) realism of it all. That's when I realized the show's writers wanted the starting seasons to be slow and unhappy deliberately

Now, I wish more shows were like DS9. I can't stand bright and cheerful environments because I want to see Sisko & Co. start from totally nothing and make something grand out of it. Because we're accustomed to seeing DS9 being almost helpless and without Starfleet support for the first two seasons, everything after that is totally awesome when they can hold off an entire Klingon battlefleet with 5000 photon torpedoes, max out the Defiant, etc.