Lt. Commander
# 31
06-02-2012, 01:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by theapparatus View Post
Verisign as well as Network Solutions have been blacklisted from our mail servers for spam to clients, tagged email addresses as well as non existent email addresses for years.

Also their IP ranges are gray listed at the firewalls due to abuse for years as well.

I wouldn't trust those folks to walk my dog if I had one.

edit: (See? There's that edit bit I said I used) Looks like their certificates have issues as well:

http://www.pcworld.com/businesscente...t_hurt_us.html
Personally, I wouldn't worry about the integrity of the SSL certificate private keys (unless their using a MD5 hash or 512 bit RSA encryption for their signature, as both can now be brute-forced...) as back in 2010, the requirements for Key Management was FIPS 140-1 Level 3.... (I've worked with FIPS 140-1 Level 3 compliant hardware, and you can easily sum up the security requirements as 'paranoid'...)

FIPS stands for Federal Information Processing Standard. and as a US Government official standard, can be freely downloaded off of the Internet... http://csrc.nist.gov/publications/fips/fips1401.htm

Though FIPS 140-1 has recently been replaced with the updated FIPS140-2 standard...
Lt. Commander
# 32
06-02-2012, 01:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by HippieJohn View Post
Checked, checked and double checked.
I don't have Pando anywhere on my computer.
I don't have any games on this thing other than STO, so I am guessing it came from
something else.
After seeing this thread I spent almost an hour doing various seaches and scans, no sign of it.
And I have several other games installed...donno where ya got it.
I also installed STO from a disk.
meh...not worrying about it.
Bummer about your situation, tho.
Lt. Commander
# 33
06-02-2012, 02:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew_Harnaman
Ive posted in the pc & technical issues forum but I just wanted to make sure everyone is aware.

It appears cryptic/pwe have been silently pushing Pando Malware onto our machines. I have been a STO player since day 1 and have only ever used STO as you normally would ie open launcher, launch game etc etc. At no point did I authorise this malware to be installed onto my machine and Im absolutely furious. Its no suprise that recently a lot of people have been having lag issues/bandwidth issues if this has been pushed out and has been silently running in the background. Some of you might already know this but Ive just found out and im absolutely FURIOUS

Brandon I want answers as to why this has been forced onto my machine when I NEVER CONSENTED TO THIS CRAP BEING INSTALLED

As if PWE/Cryptic consumer image isnt bad enough your pulling stuns like this ?

WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU THINKING ?????????????????????????????
Welcome to six months ago
Lt. Commander
# 34
06-02-2012, 06:54 PM
If you are worried I would recommend using the steam client to install STO if you want to avoid malware. Once installed you can open your computer files and locate steamaps and locate the STO .exe file and right click and select send to desktop to create a shortcut that circumnavigates steam so you do not have to worry about steam CPU memory usage while playing STO.
Lt. Commander
# 35
06-03-2012, 12:05 PM
I can`t see how any developer uses pando for distributing its games. After installation pando will capture your complete bandwith for uploading stuff resulting in pc or internet shutdown. The player won`t know, this is pando but he will know "since I installed STO nothing works". This is suicide for customer satisfaction and leads also to a bad reputation.