Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 471
05-31-2012, 07:43 AM
My worst experience in an STF is unfortunately not a singular incident. Now I have 2 VA's and am concentrating on my sci toon as I have one final piece of mk XII M.A.C.O. ship gear to get. This piece would be the engine. So I have to pretty much farm Cure space elite obviously to get the rare tech drop. Now as my fleet isn't currently as active as myself or at least not enough people to always guarantee a private team I have to fallback to what I refer to as the desperate choice, PUGs.

Now in the last few weeks almost every time I have pugged CSE it seems that there is always one player who is hellbent on trolling the scenario. Now before I rant about this I shall by all means provide the benefit of the doubt reasons.

Yes, he/she or they could indeed be new players to STFs and just have no idea on how to do this mission on elite. Yes they could have blown up a cube early by accident and yes they could be thinking this is the best way to do it because it works in normal difficulty.

These reasons aside I shall now rant. There is NO excuse, none at all in my personal opinion for a player who is new to doing an elite STF especially for the first time to say so in chat. I have rarely heard people rant about a person stating before any mission timers are initiated "Hey guys I don't know how to do this can someone explain please?". Infact if people did this you would see a lot less rage about the so called "n00bs" coming into elite difficulty. If the person has their chat minimised then why the hell are they not using in-game voice coms? Again minimised chat is not an excuse nor a reason to have a go at a new player due to the voice option. But I digress as all this points to a new person to elite STFs. What I have been experiencing lately is far more insidious and bodes unwell for PUGs for the foreseeable future.

I am on about the trolls, the players who not only disrupt the entire scenario by taking things out too quickly or ignoring things they should be taking out but who also brag in chat about it. These people are a disgrace to the sto community and make it very hard for PUGs to be popular. My case or cases in point have always been Cure elite space as for some reason I do not find them in any other STF. They will come in and do one of two things. The first thing they do make it blindingly obvious they are a troll, they sit at spawn and wait for everyone else to do the mission just so they can get the loot. The second thing they do is ignore any bops, fire away at the probes and take out a cube asap meaning multiple spawns of raptors and then leave the match. The worst incident I have seen is a pair of trolls working together to take a cube out as quickly as possible then not helping take out any bops or raptors and just laughing away and making wisecracks in chat.

Perfect World and Cryptic, SOMETHING NEEDS TO BE DONE ABOUT THIS!!!

My suggestions are three things, two that should be implemented straight off and one that although would help could also be abused (unfortunately). The first is by making the minimisation of the chat window IMPOSSIBLE in an STF event. Also make a set of default rules so that zone and team chat appear in the main window. This would then remove any excuses about not paying attention to chat or people trying to place the blame on others ignoring or not seeing the chat window and would also distinguish the new players from the blatant trolls more easily.

The second thing would be to implement a votekick system which would remove the troll from the map altogether and should a person get kicked a ban of four hours should make them think twice about doing it again and not just the toon in question, an account wide ban for four hours. Unfortunately as stated above this could get abused by either just new players being kicked (but then again if they had the courage to speak up first thing this shouldn't happen so much) or just trolls teaming up to kick a player to get them banned for four hours for no good reason. So this second idea isn't perfect.

The third thing is possibly the easiest solution, when you add someone to your ignore list, make it impossible for you to be randomly teamed up with that person ever again. This is possibly the best solution. Be warned people, I know most of you already think this option works. IT DOES NOT! I have been in a PUG where someone whom I had previously ignored was in the party and immediately started trolling again.

I would welcome any feedback in this thread about the STF trolls, please please please post about it, make them known to Cryptic and Perfect World. Until enough attention has been drawn to these maliciously disruptive players, nothing will be done about it.

My only concern is that new players to elite STFs will be caught in the crossfire so i urge any new players reading this. SPEAK UP! I personally would rather someone say in chat that they're new than the mission or optional failing because they were afraid of ridicule or over-confident in their skills.

Thanks for taking the time to read this rather long post, potatoes all round!!
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 472
05-31-2012, 07:44 AM
For me it's a tie between the yesterday on IGE when a player didn't know what a remodulator was, and repeated incidents on KAGE when someone suddenly says "I'm in this weird room".
Then there are those who drop random shields on KAGE.
And of late on IGE, I tend to end up on a team with a pair who enter the final room with multiple critical injuries and can't do anything other than agro a drone and die.
And from my experience, these are almost always tac officers.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 473
05-31-2012, 07:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by g.hawk View Post
My only concern is that new players to elite STFs will be caught in the crossfire so i urge any new players reading this. SPEAK UP! I personally would rather someone say in chat that they're new than the mission or optional failing because they were afraid of ridicule or over-confident in their skills.
This.

extra characters needed
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 474
05-31-2012, 08:17 AM
I am getting tired of people assigning a spot to take on CGE to man, and then they are running all over gods creation while the borg repair the node thing. If someone takes No.1 spot, that is where they need to be, not at 2, 3 4 where ever.

Also in CGE this whole "shotgun" thing. Most people do not seem to know how to do it. I ALWAYS take my MK XII maco rifle to the back corner, and I can not tell you how many times I have taken out armek while the others are dead from the fiasco of the "shotgun" method. Of course when we plan this out I tell them I will snipe from back corner they all get ****y, but then do not thank me for killing him? nope. Or those who remain dead and dont respawn to buff etc when they see one person is taking out the boss and getting close, just need a little help. This goes for Rebecca as well as armek.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 475
05-31-2012, 01:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoenATL
I am getting tired of people assigning a spot to take on CGE to man, and then they are running all over gods creation while the borg repair the node thing. If someone takes No.1 spot, that is where they need to be, not at 2, 3 4 where ever.

Also in CGE this whole "shotgun" thing. Most people do not seem to know how to do it. I ALWAYS take my MK XII maco rifle to the back corner, and I can not tell you how many times I have taken out armek while the others are dead from the fiasco of the "shotgun" method. Of course when we plan this out I tell them I will snipe from back corner they all get ****y, but then do not thank me for killing him? nope. Or those who remain dead and dont respawn to buff etc when they see one person is taking out the boss and getting close, just need a little help. This goes for Rebecca as well as armek.
Well, lately the shotgun method has had a 100% success rating for me. Though a few times I've done it and had trouble cause somebody decides to not crouch, or to summon stuff like security escorts/shards.

But yeah, I can see that. Though I typically float, so if a node isn't started I'll start it.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 476
06-01-2012, 02:27 AM
My worst experience was yesterday. One player with over 6k accolade points, destroyed his ship in seconds, only to wait with respawning until the last 10 seconds of the mission. He picked up his reward and left right away. We failed the objective (people find it hard to read chat) so he was waiting at least 15 minutes for his reward.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 477
06-01-2012, 01:33 PM
Nearly all CSE But in all seriousness, last night playing ISE! I immediately announced 10% rule is in effect and someone destroys the generator before the other 3 was ready. One guy leaves the match right than and I'm left in my MVAE with MK XII antiprotons and quantums and three others in beam boats.

It now becomes a free for all, two guys trying to take out normal spheres, one the transformer while the nanite sphere repairing and me prioritizing and concentrating on the nanite spheres. Finally I say take out nanites, than transformer, and than regular spheres and we finally take out the left transformer.

I tell the team thats why there is a 10% rule and than what happens to the right side, someone blows the generator before the other three are ready. Another 5-7 minutes of futility go by and finally I told this weak *** team that I have had it and will take the 1 hr ditch penalty. Insane!!

Having started STFs just this past Saturday and only completed 96 normal and elite space missions this by far was my worst experience though I know there is more to come! Oddly enough I did not get the 1hr penalty when I left that match.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 478
06-01-2012, 02:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by saltypineapple
Oddly enough I did not get the 1hr penalty when I left that match.
You usually get the penalty for leaving first, after a while the rest can usually leave without getting the penalty.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 479
06-01-2012, 07:26 PM
Ran ISE today and I watched as a tactical escort popped a gen early. Clearly they had exceptional firepower no one else in the team could match. Spheres roll in and heal the trans, option is lost.

Over chat someone said "Guess you don't want the option", I felt like they were throwing the whole team under the bus considering it was one person that ruined it.

Next the same person lays down, "Yall are noobs". So everyone get's really defensive and chat is filled with, "I'm not a noob" type of convo.

Kill the transformer, same deal on the other side. Gen is popped early and we are fighting spheres again. It was the same escort and the noob talk comes in again.

Fast forward to the end of the mission, we kill the cube and it starts to dawn on me, The person calling everyone noobs and getting everyone defensive is the same guy that popped the gens early

Guess I was too slow to put two and two together and he left before I could call him on it. Inexperienced player? Maybe. Master Troll? Probably.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 480
06-03-2012, 04:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by walkincrow
Ran ISE today and I watched as a tactical escort popped a gen early. Clearly they had exceptional firepower no one else in the team could match. Spheres roll in and heal the trans, option is lost.

Over chat someone said "Guess you don't want the option", I felt like they were throwing the whole team under the bus considering it was one person that ruined it.

Next the same person lays down, "Yall are noobs". So everyone get's really defensive and chat is filled with, "I'm not a noob" type of convo.

Kill the transformer, same deal on the other side. Gen is popped early and we are fighting spheres again. It was the same escort and the noob talk comes in again.

Fast forward to the end of the mission, we kill the cube and it starts to dawn on me, The person calling everyone noobs and getting everyone defensive is the same guy that popped the gens early

Guess I was too slow to put two and two together and he left before I could call him on it. Inexperienced player? Maybe. Master Troll? Probably.
I had an identical situation around a month ago. Perhaps even with the same guy.
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:48 PM.