Lt. Commander
# 21
06-01-2012, 06:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by fallout23 View Post
ah...tried to get out but they pulled you back in, huh. Been there...wait, I'm back here...
Ya I flip flop... I'm likely to be back full time soon enough. I rerolled on fatman and its been fun, its the only Heavy server they have anymore. I'm sure, its one patch away from getting me to rage quit. lol
Lt. Commander
# 22
06-01-2012, 07:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_Trainor
This is the bit that really gets me.

Eebul dev: Want some awesum gear to pew with? Go run eleven billion stf's for a rtandom drop
PvP'er: OK, starts doing some stf's
Eebul dev: Look at out metrics; nobody plays much pvp any more
PvP'er: Well, I'm still grinding out this ludicrous stf drop table to get epic gear to pvp. I have 6 toons to gear, you know.
Eebul dev: We might as well remove it if nobody plays it
PvP'er: ...
This is exactly how I feel. Thanks for the articulation.
Lt. Commander
# 23
06-01-2012, 08:01 PM
if u had to pvp for a pvp set....... the q's would always have premades ruining it for the casual pug pvper, at any givin time a premade would be running pvp's. as it is us casual pvpers can only pug when premades arent on if we want to have a decent even match
Lt. Commander
# 24
06-02-2012, 12:07 AM
Sets themselves don't bother me (the pieces of equipment themselves are well-designed enough to the point where it's never completely clear cut on which piece you should take on a given ship, and you can weigh that against any of the set bonuses you'd like too), but as I've posted elsewhere before, there are way too few of them. The ones that do exist aren't trivial to get, either (even the Reman set is locked behind weeks of grind). Too much of the equipment in this game just can't compete with these two (or two-and-a-half) sets and it's a real waste; more grating is that it's not that basic equipment is radically outclassed, it's just that there's no reason to take it over the very slightly better options (see the phenom of people grinding for Mk XII as well).

They also basically negate one of the game's energy types (Plasma) which is pretty annoying.
Lt. Commander
# 25
06-02-2012, 02:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceTank420
if u had to pvp for a pvp set....... the q's would always have premades ruining it for the casual pug pvper, at any givin time a premade would be running pvp's. as it is us casual pvpers can only pug when premades arent on if we want to have a decent even match
Sets are part of a complex and large solution for PvP - they alone won't do it, of course, and they alone may even have negative effects. But if there are constantly premades in the queue, you have to realize, that will also mean constantly premades will fight premades. That alone would already be an improvement to now!
Add in a ranking /match-making system, and those premades are guaranteed to fight other premades and PuGs only fight PuGs (unless the PuG is really good or the Premade really bad).
But the match-making alone won't do much if there are no reasons to PvP for players.
Lt. Commander
# 26
06-04-2012, 05:08 AM
[quote]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MustrumRidcully View Post
Except that PvP Marks of Honor could only be attained via... PvP. Dilithium can be obtained any way. And the Dilithium Store doesn't give you the equivalents of Covariant Cap X3 shields in the era of sets.
Good point.
Lt. Commander
# 27
06-04-2012, 09:49 AM
I think that they should make the STF sets available for PvP in some way. Why not new ones? Because when Cryptic releases new stuff, it tends to work in balance with other things released at that time. So a few new PvP sets might be cool, and the Fed set might be comparable to the Kling set, but they'd be either over- or under-powered compared to STF sets. So just make STF sets available for PvP.
Lt. Commander
# 28
06-04-2012, 09:59 AM
And whatever they are, don't just slap stuff on it because it sounds cool and send it into production. Take some time to think about how stuff interacts with mechanics across the larger game as a whole. Anything worth doing is worth doing right.
Lt. Commander
# 29
06-04-2012, 10:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_Trainor
This is the bit that really gets me.

Eebul dev: Want some awesum gear to pew with? Go run eleven billion stf's for a rtandom drop
PvP'er: OK, starts doing some stf's
Eebul dev: Look at out metrics; nobody plays much pvp any more
PvP'er: Well, I'm still grinding out this ludicrous stf drop table to get epic gear to pvp. I have 6 toons to gear, you know.
Eebul dev: We might as well remove it if nobody plays it
PvP'er: ...
You are DEAD ON!
Lt. Commander
# 30
06-04-2012, 10:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceTank420
Nice.. I like it... make PvP only STFs (like PvE has theirs) to get PvP gear. But this would also challenge pugs to act as a team... nice...something needed two years ago!