Lt. Commander
# 31
06-02-2012, 03:52 PM
Can I just say there are games like Battlestar Galactica Online that are a huge success and have penalty every time the ship gets hit.

Durability is lost, titanium required for repair, titanium requires mining, mining requires capture and hold. It all leads to constant PvP and a lot of fun.

IT WORKS.

Those of you saying no thank you, I'm too old I play to relax I don't want to work for my existence in the game. You should try to consider what is good for the game as a whole and what would work for you that adds to this type of play.

I have no doubt that one day something will come out of these sort of ideas and the players who enter areas of the game where they get penalties will be the players who have the best items in the game. Simply because risk = reward and the chance of more reward encourages players to spend more money in order to achieve the end goal.
Lt. Commander
# 32
06-02-2012, 07:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BW007
Durring this time you will be forced to use on of your other ships while your current ship is being repaired.
So I'd be forced to try and make do with a lower tier ship, or buy a second ship at the same tier, or go play a different game while I wait for the cooldown.

I wonder what the non-hardcore wonks would choose?
Lt. Commander
# 33
06-04-2012, 07:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by twg042370
So I'd be forced to try and make do with a lower tier ship, or buy a second ship at the same tier, or go play a different game while I wait for the cooldown.

Yes. you would be forced to use a different ship temporarily but only if you decide to go into deep space and die. It would b your choice to take the risk no one would force that uppon you. I dont know about anyone else but have we lost our sense of adventure?

You are the one who would enter deep space for your own goals. Ether itwould be for exploring or treasure seeking or simply for the challenge.

It would be the place to put your skills to the test. I dont think I this idea is as extreme as some make it out to be.

It is however just an idea that can be molded to something that works for the game. People should try to discuss ways of how ideas can be made to work better.
Lt. Commander
# 34
06-04-2012, 10:13 AM
Maybe if you had a different playerbase, but come on. People around here don't even like it if you have to wait longer to respawn or spend money on repairs. Did you miss the cries of foul over the last death penalty increase?

I've done my hardcore time. I've played my games where every death was a true setback. They are still there waiting for me if I want to go back. STO drew me in because it was so casual. I assume it holds the players it does for the same reasons. Nothing about STO is hardcore, and I'm just fine with that.
Lt. Commander
# 35
06-04-2012, 11:04 AM
Isn't there enough time gated crap in this game? You want to add time penalty that makes a ship and/or BOFFs unavailable for a number hours because someone got one shot by a god mode NPC, or some tool in the Mirror Event flies right into the middle of two squadrons of ships and gets everyone killed, or you get a server unresponsive error for 10 seconds in the middle of a fight?

No, just no.
Lt. Commander
# 36
06-04-2012, 11:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by anazonda View Post
Yea... that would require a complete overhaul of the entire ship selection as all ships are currently too fragile to work under such a system.

That and I think it is a bad idea...
A really bad Idea if you take lockbox ships into account.
Lt. Commander
# 37
06-04-2012, 11:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by twg042370

I woulf choose my Defiant:p
Lt. Commander
# 38
06-04-2012, 11:42 AM
Been reading about MechWarrior Online.

Here is a quote regarding penalty...

Quote:
As a Faction Player, loyalty points are earned by playing and winning matches. As the player accumulates loyalty points, they will gain a military faction rank at pre-determined loyalty point totals. If a player loses LPs by decay or negative actions, they will be demoted
Cryptic have created a soft game for soft gamers when you look at developers willing to take these bold moves AND gets great response for it in forums.

The Star Trek community seem to put pressure on Cryptic not to add such penalties yet I am no in doubt that MechWarrior Online will be a better game for it. Far better.
Lt. Commander
# 39
06-04-2012, 12:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zypher2011
Been reading about MechWarrior Online.

Here is a quote regarding penalty...

Cryptic have created a soft game for soft gamers when you look at developers willing to take these bold moves AND gets great response for it in forums.

The Star Trek community seem to put pressure on Cryptic not to add such penalties yet I am no in doubt that MechWarrior Online will be a better game for it. Far better.

That's what everybody who bought the Vanguard hype thought, too.

WoW = still going strong at 10.5mil subs
Vanguard = What is that game again?

The point being, if it is a better game then STO, it will have less to do with it's difficulty and more to do with it's substance.