Lt. Commander
# 1 Making LTS More Attractive
06-04-2012, 04:18 PM
While Lifetime subscribers get the Liberated Borg Captain, as well as a few minor to small perks, its overall not really all that worth it to subscribe lifetime and shell out the 300 Bucks it takes to become a lifetime member. Then it dawned on me. Lifetime subscriptions would be more attractive if veteran rewards worked differently. I think that anyone who signs up to Lifetime should automatically receive all veteran rewards up to day 700 for free and the timer for future vet rewards would start at 700 rather then 0 like it does now, and any future rewards would be earned the old fashioned way through staying subscribed for the days required. This would make the lifetime subscription more attractive as people who are willing to shell out that much money should have a small advantage over everyone else, but Veteran rewards as they are now aren't all that powerful or game changing, but provides that extra perk to encourage people to buy it as they wouldn't have to wait to earn vet rewards the hard way though day 100 and beyond. Also lifetime members should have access to normally gated content all the time and can play whatever they want when they want it. Lifetime members could also have access to bonus content like certain missions or zones not available to everyone else, besides the Captains Table. Because lets face it, its nice and all but its not full service and why would anyone use it when Qo'nos and ESD are right there? There definitely needs to be some more benefits to lifetimers overall. Anyone else have any ideas how the LTS could be improved to make it more attractive option to buy?
Lt. Commander
# 2
06-04-2012, 04:25 PM
Its not about LTS specifically, although the more valuable you make a regular subscription, then by extension the LTS becomes more valuable as well:

Quote:
Another big topic for us where the "benefits of subscribers". At this point we came up with some brandnew and fresh ideas and we will definitely go forward here to find the best to give previous and current subscribers more value of their subscribtion.
http://forums.startrekonline.com/sho...58#post4228358
Lt. Commander
# 3
06-04-2012, 04:35 PM
Honestly, I had an idea similar to this too... new LTS retroactively gaining veteran rewards as if they were subscribed since, oh I don't know, 200 days after day 1, and the vet rewards changed so that actually reaching each landmark would yield more, new shinies.
Lt. Commander
# 4
06-04-2012, 04:47 PM
I was sold on lifetime back in 2008 when it became plausible that this game would see the light of day. I didn't need any additional incentives.

I really can't see cryptic trying to bribe people into lifetimes. Maybe giving people additional perks will win over a few, but I think it would alienate a lot of people who don't have 300 bucks laying around they can dump into their entertainment budget all at once. I'm perfectly comfortable with Cryptic doing the gold covers everyone who pays for a subscription, they could even give the liberated borg to monthly subscribers who reach a certain plateau and I would be good. That might actually boost the monthly subscriptions. Say, once a player has paid their monthly tier for a solid year they get a borg as long as they keep paying. Just a thought, I haven't really thought about any consequences from the rest of the lifetime base.
Lt. Commander
# 5
06-04-2012, 05:12 PM
Fulfilling their vet rewards might be a start.
Lt. Commander
# 6
06-04-2012, 05:36 PM
You're going about it all the wrong way - the goal needs to be to make MONTHLY subscriptions more attractive. LTS is a flash-in-the-pan thing. All the LTS people have already got the cheapest version of the subscription game and then they don't spend any more - they don't even have to shell out for the C-store if they don't want to.

Making the monthly subscription fee irresistible is what the goal needs to be to keep people pumping money into the game. Really, though, the entire subscription model is dead and an entirely different approach needs to be implemented. Making the C-store the primary money maker is the key to that approach. And it wouldn't be a bad idea to make the C-store into the STO equivalent of the iTunes Store - let people make their own items (ships, weapons and missions) and sell them for real money.

The next generation of MMOs will be oblivious to the idea of a subscription. People will come, play the game, then pay to customize the game to their play style...not just cosmetic changes but unique content sold to the highest bidder.