Is this going anywhere? I'm stuck here, again, one of the 3 or 4 quests I have to skip on every character I level.
I see all good advice, except... his cooldowns are shorter than mine. Torp spread to kill his plasma volley? Great? What do I do about the 2nd volley? Move out of the way? Not with the tractor beam, and every ability I've loaded to try to cancel it seems to only work AFTER I've been hit by 3 or 4 things. Stay out of range? HOW?! He's faster than my escort. Same problem with mines; he just jumps to warp and goes right around them, to attack from behind me.
This quest is just stupid.
Edit: AAARRRRGGGHHHH! I just spent 10 minutes dueling the Sithesh in the asteroids, got him down to 30%, at which point he magicallty jumped back to full health, warped away, then warped right in on top of me a blew me out of space. I'm guessing that this was just some sick joke by the programmers?
I had to respawn to take it down on my first time through the game, but I also had the thunderchild console and a friend who had been feeding me top class gear as I leveled. That was a tactical captain.
At any rate I am working on a science captain now, but will likely be in a escort then too, with the Thunderchild console again. I'll be using escorts until that one is high enough in level to get an intrepid. I cannot stand having fewer than three forward facing weapons.
Although I do wonder if the console from the Rhode Island would provide a suitable distraction.
What I find hard in this mission was finding all the stuff on the ground.... It doesn't help when a bunch of Remans are trying to kill you and TWO OF MY BOFFS DISAPPEAR! It said, "Laibi 0.00 m' so I do the Rsurrection thing... Nothing happens... I sprint around... It still says 0.00 m... And then I couldn't find anything!.... /rant angrily about Cryptic-PWE game bugs....
I suppose that is one upside to getting to the Romulan missions on a captain. I can stop going AFK and winning fights. <3 the Romulan battleships.
The warbird in "Project Nightingale" two missions prior gave me a reminder not to just fly in guns-ablaze and forget to defend myself thanks to its plasma salvos. Whoops! ha. Nothing a little evasion and defense boosting can't overcome. Kill me once, shame on me!!
easiest "I win" button against the torp salvo... automated turrets/point defense system. one was a specail pre-order bonus, the other coems on a Cstore ship that can be put on any ship now. since they have pretty much "no miss" accuracy its better than FAW or Cannon scatter volley against them.
It usually won't stop the whole salvo, only one, sometimes two. I can't speak for the new one.
I had my problems with D'Deridex battleships - especially this one - as well. And in a sci vessel with its paper-thin hull plasma weapons are a particular pain... not only in the backside, but everywhere.
First: Once you get nearer than 5km, he pins you down and slams you with his salvo of heavy plasma torpedoes. Instant ship loss.
Second: The viral matrix he shoots at you frequently can be equally devastating. Losing engine and/or shields makes you a sitting duck.
Now on to his disadvantages:
- He is slow. You can easily outrun him or outmaneuver him if you are in a fast ship.
- He relies heavily on his special abilities. If you can block him from using them, you've some heads-up.
- Few repair abilities. It's a shield monger, but hull damage is usually there to stay.
There are actually two approaches I found promising to battle that thing:
1. Bombing run. Head on full speed, slated to pass him in a distance larger than 5km. As soon as you come into range, fire a full salvo and then pull out using Evasive maneuvers. For added effect, divert your energy to the engines and you may outrun even the Viral matrix projectile. Make sure you pass the 10km mark. After the run, give yourself some time to cooldown and prepare for the next. Optional: If you want to finish him off with a "f*** you" gesture, use ramming speed if he used the heavy plasma salvo the last run and your and his hull is sufficiently damaged.
2. Needle-strike. Put your better weapons on the aft section of your ship. Divert energy to weapons. Do a full-throttle run, begin firing, then do a 180° turn and pull out of range immediately. Pick at the heavy plasma torps at your leisure. Repeat until he's gone.
Both tactics work best with weapons doing DoT. Hargh'Peng or plasma torpedoes come to my mind. In the latter case you can chuck him some heavies on your own, just as a means of payback.
Take the heavy Romulan opposition as a challenge to upgrade your shipbuilding skills. If you need tips on what kind of ship build can stand toe to toe to the D'Deridex and destroy volleys of plasma torpedos in the blink of an eye, we're here to help.
My favourite style is take a Galaxy class fully outfitted with tetryon cannons and go up point blank range on top of the Warbird. It can't shoot torpedoes to the sides or above or below so you just have to tank the plasma beams with Emergency Power to Shields, Tactical Team and Reverse Shield Polarity. If torpedoes come your way, either go evasive, shoot them down with Cannon Scatter Volley or use a repulsor beam as makeshift point defence.