Lt. Commander
# 151
06-05-2012, 07:37 AM
He makes it look so easy O.o Having acquired all the goods (some of marginally better quality too) I cant, for the life of me, work out how the hell you get the shields to drop in a single volley. I can't even get them to drop to 50%....
AP:Alpha, Omega3, TT, (even when I use GDF and TF) followed by opening fire with a HY3 Quantum XII, Cluster torp and Peng. Everything slams into one shield facing, they use no abilities and voila... shield has barely moved :\
I'm using a Trico currently instead of a Bio-Neural but that damage to Hull should be pretty noticeable. I just can't scratch shields at all with this build.
What am I missing? :\

I'm tempted to bring in some Tachyon beams to help but I've never had them manage to do anything useful.
Lt. Commander
# 152
06-06-2012, 06:53 AM
now, I could probably run a t1 ship and do okay in a normal stf at this point, but I ran torpedo/sci in a normal stf in fully cloaked mode.

my sci layout wasn't optimal (mostly due to my cmdr boff that I use on my hegh'ta), but I even drove off nanites using tractor beam repulsors & had to hull heal frequently, so it isn't like I wasn't up close.

(I think birds of prey are good for TBR because we can set up our attack runs so quickly.)

I had chroniton mines, but they are pointless if you run TBR and gravity well for whatever passes for cc in this game.

edit: TBR has an interesting interaction with enhanced battle cloak. you drop cloak while TBR is active, and then it reengages automatically when the TBR runs out.
Lt. Commander
# 153
06-07-2012, 12:25 AM
Okay, my Sci B'rel (PvE mode)...

I ran Commander Sci Boff with: TSS1 (in case I am decloaked), Tractor Beam Repulsors 1 (Srsly? This is at this rank?), Photonic Shockwave 1, Grav Well 3 (you can flip PSW & GW if you like)

Lt.Commander Boff was a Tac with TT1, THY2, TSpread3

Then Sci with Polarize Hull, Hazard Emitters

Engineer with EPtS1, Aux to SIF2

I was constantly around 100% enginers, 100% aux, and minimum in both weapons & shields.

I was able to do enough damage in my normal mode PUG to get Donatra to agro on me a lot, so it's not like I was bad on DPS.

Fore torpedoes: Quantum (Vrare Mk XI), Plasma (Vrare Mk XI), Chroniton (Vrare Mk XI), Hargh'Peng Mk XI
Aft torpedoes: Quantum (Rare Mk XI), Photon (Vrare Mk XI)

This is probably really bad for PvP, though.
Lt. Commander
# 154
06-07-2012, 05:26 AM
Been trying this build out in PvP and it's pretty sweet, managed to toast an Odyssey in a single pass but I feel like a lemon flying around cloaked waiting for my cool downs to finish so I can alpha again. It's fun though, took a few people by surprise although there was an absolutely mental Defiant retrofit pilot there who handed my *** to me more than a few times.

I do have a question though, on how a built similar to this may be viable for STF's or PvE in general. Does anyone have much success in these areas with the B'Rel? It's my favourite KDF ship so I really want to fly it over the ugly modern BoP's. Would welcome any suggestions .
Lt. Commander
# 155
06-07-2012, 10:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim3822 View Post
I do have a question though, on how a built similar to this may be viable for STF's or PvE in general. Does anyone have much success in these areas with the B'Rel? It's my favourite KDF ship so I really want to fly it over the ugly modern BoP's. Would welcome any suggestions .
I'd be interested in this too. I generally tend toward builds that are manageable in both PvE and PvP to avoid having to respec all the time, given the steep cost of respecs and such. I kinda like the idea of a B'Rel torpboat, but it seems less than ideal for elite STFs, and more of a one-trick-pony than anything else. I don't mind the idea of picking your targets and being patient and such, I tend to already do that in my Hegh'ta... but I also like to be able to engage for more than a brief window of time before zooming off again to wait for CDs.
Lt. Commander
# 156
06-07-2012, 10:50 AM
Slight segue...

I imagine my captain saying something like this every time a bio-neural is launched.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_lN2auTVavw
Lt. Commander
# 157
06-07-2012, 11:23 AM
In the Federation Mechanical Intelligences gain citizen status, serve in the government forces, and even get sent on missions that involve Bar Hopping with the Organic lifeforms. In the Klingon Empire we strap them to large explosive devices equipped with engines, armor, shielding, and weapons.

I'm not sure which course of action is the more reckless.
Lt. Commander
# 158
06-07-2012, 01:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim3822 View Post
Been trying this build out in PvP and it's pretty sweet, managed to toast an Odyssey in a single pass but I feel like a lemon flying around cloaked waiting for my cool downs to finish so I can alpha again. It's fun though, took a few people by surprise although there was an absolutely mental Defiant retrofit pilot there who handed my *** to me more than a few times.

It actually works fine enough even in PVE. You have the luxury of even flying uncloaked because PVE is mindnumbingly easy Again, you're not minimizing any energy input to weapons, since you do not use Energy Weapons at all, so that energy can be sent to other systems.

It's even more apparent if you use alot of Sci abilities with your Torpedo Boat. Grave Well 2/3 to bunch up a slew of NPCs and Torp Spread, and / or Bio-Neural Warhead to kill everything off in one swoop. Against the Borg, it can do tremendous amount of damage, most especially since some objectives are unshielded to begin with. Or fly in, Charged Particle Burst, which works pretty well in PVE to weaken shields, then throw all those torpedoes in. It's what you're creative with.

Between having some mix of High Yield Torp and Torp Spread, as well as weapons that aren't affected by those abilities (Hargh'peng, Breen Cluster, Bio-Neural WH, and mines), you always should have something to throw. Of course, you can cloak up and save everything, charge up your best Attack Patterns, Tac Team, etc. for a huge Alpha Strike.

Again, just like PvP, the Torpedo Boat will fly very differently. It's not a scrum fighter flying in furballs. You should be making fast slashing attacks in PvE as well as PvP.

Another plus in PvP is that, if you're harassing the opposing team long enough, they go out of their way to keep an eye on you. Dangerous for you, and you better be on your toes to escape when they try to catch you decloak for a Torp Run. But if there's players so fixed on looking out for you, then that's a plus for your team. They're distracted, if even for a bit, and won't be slamming hard into the other guys on your team if they're staring around the battlefield waiting for you to decloak. It works VERY well in Capture & Hold missions, where I'll do enough to harass a portion of the team and they go out of their way trying to find and scan for me in some backwards corner of the map. Better that than them flying to a fight to swing the battle into their favor with more ships.
Lt. Commander
# 159
06-08-2012, 11:45 AM
From Tribble Release Notes June 7, 2012.
"Increased Transphasic Torpedo and Mine shield penetration from 20% to 40%."

That's a fairly important change down the road, IMO.
Lt. Commander
# 160
06-08-2012, 12:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warmaker01 View Post
From Tribble Release Notes June 7, 2012.
"Increased Transphasic Torpedo and Mine shield penetration from 20% to 40%."

That's a fairly important change down the road, IMO.
maybe I will swap my forward chroniton torpedoes for rapid fire transphasic since I have so much sci cc, but the penetration would have to be way higher to really be interesting.
Closed Thread