Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > PvP Gameplay
Login

Lt. Commander
# 31
06-08-2012, 09:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sophlogimo
Hm. I'd say: If you cannot say why you think the Paratrinic Shield is not good, then don't call others troll for saying it is.
Paratrinic shields are a Cov Capx3 (of same level) but with worse regen.
How much explaining does this need?
For leveling purposes they can be useful, but if you are talking end game there are shield with better/equal cap, AND better regen.
The shields provide no extra bonus, no procs, no resists, no nothing.

How about you state why you would use a Paratrinic Shield instead of a Cov Capx3, let alone a set shield with bonuses? Burden of proof right back at ya!
Lt. Commander
# 32
06-08-2012, 09:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by USS_Ultimatum
I had actually sent CaptainHorizon this previously, but just wanted to expand a bit on what Mustrum posted.

Assuming 125 Power for 35% resistance, let's add the following:

EPTS 1 = 18% (0.18)

MACO 10% resistance bonus = (0.1) *ignoring plasma

Resistance = 1-((1-0.35)*(1-0.1)*(1-0.18)) = 52%

vs.

Again, 125 power.

EPTS 1 = 18% (0.18)

Resistance = 1-((1-0.35)*(1-0.18)) = 46.7%

So a gain of 5.3%, if my math is correct.

Which is still very good, it's still 5% more on top of cutting all bleed-through in half, and power conduit link.

AFAIK the absorption only affects bleed-through to hull (and is still fantastic, cutting it in half).

As for the rest, the amount of extra resistance you get from a full 5 stacks of power conduit will change depending on what else you are running (EPTS, TSS or ESS tossed on you) as well as what that extra +10 power brings your shield power total to.

EDIT: Ok, this prompted me to finally finish this that I had half done for a while.

MACO & OMEGA

I don't fully understand how EPTS functions in combination with a Shield's native regen ability, so I've left that out.
Unless they fixed it since February, Shield resists are not multiplicative. They were additive when I showed that the MACO resists were broken. At that time the 5% absorption on the Resilients did come out to an extra 5% resist if I recall.
Lt. Commander
# 33
06-08-2012, 12:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beary666 View Post
Unless they fixed it since February, Shield resists are not multiplicative. They were additive when I showed that the MACO resists were broken. At that time the 5% absorption on the Resilients did come out to an extra 5% resist if I recall.
If you're correct and that is still the case, those are two pretty significant things:

1) You're saying that Shield Resistances are (or were?) additive, so EX:

125 Shield Power = 35% Resistance
EPTS 3 = 30% Resistance
MACO Shield = 10% Resistance to all Energy
-------------------------------------------------------------------

= 75% Shield Resistance

Which if it is true, and I'm not saying you're incorrect as I haven't tested this, it certainly does not seem to be WAI as that would make it incredibly easy to hit the shield resistance cap.

2) You're also saying that the 5% absorption is adding to shield resistance, this is something else I'd like to test for and if you're correct would not seem to be WAI as far as I understand what Absorption is supposed to be doing.

I'll probably do some testing this weekend, if you have anything you could post for reference as well that would be great.
Lt. Commander
# 34
06-08-2012, 12:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beary666 View Post
Shield resists if they are still additive (I sense a tribble test session coming on ugh) would make the Maco's +10 resistance less relevant as through just having shield power, EPTS, heals and Extends you are likely going to be hitting cap without the Maco bonus.
Lt. Commander
# 35
06-08-2012, 02:05 PM
Shield resists were multiplicative when I last tested it two weeks ago or so to figure out whether the plasma resists was really 20% (answer: yes, it is).
Lt. Commander
# 36
06-08-2012, 02:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mavairo
Shield resists if they are still additive (I sense a tribble test session coming on ugh) would make the Maco's +10 resistance less relevant as through just having shield power, EPTS, heals and Extends you are likely going to be hitting cap without the Maco bonus.
knowing the exact power level asuming its under 125, plus whatever resistant bonus from each grade of EPtS, that the maco innate resist hits a theoretical overflow would be a extreamly valuable information...
Lt. Commander
# 37
06-08-2012, 02:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mancom
Shield resists were multiplicative when I last tested it two weeks ago or so to figure out whether the plasma resists was really 20% (answer: yes, it is).
Alright, sweet there's our answer. Carry on!
Lt. Commander
# 38
06-09-2012, 05:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dontdrunkimshoot View Post
its a cap 3, reg-1 cov. if you were around when the mk X cap 3 cov was available for marks you were better off using that. but its pretty good if you have nothing better.

strong tet, plas, pol and antiproton defense but low end phaser and disrupter defense? thanks to the proc, phasers are most likely to hit your hull... i'd prefer Diburnium, Ablative, and Parametallic, or 3 Neutronium for the kinetic and all energy resist too.

in my experience, its heals that does most of your shield repairing, the actual regeneration plays a much smaller part. use a cov if you have enough heals to keep your shields healthy, or if you want to hit and run with the best chance of survival. also, nothing lets you live through an alpha like a cov, regardless if you can keep it healed in the long run. its like an insurance policy against oneshots, its hard to justify not useing them in any situation. only the lol maco is the exception really, theres no reason not to use the maco, khg, omega or borg shield, they are simply the best. the KHG is a cap4, reg 1, i might like that thing more then a maco, on my klink cruiser users.
Good response. I agree. I run 2x Abalative Armour when I can for the Phaser + Disruptor resistance. Off the top of my head I think its somewhere 32 - 34%. You are absolutely correct, I rely on my abilities to fill the tank. I cycle through TSS II, SCI III and EptS III to keep a healthy Shd Strength going. I keep Target Weapons III for when I am being stalked to keep the Alpha in check. I love the KHG. Its hard to find any better.
Lt. Commander
# 39
06-09-2012, 08:07 AM
On the Vor'quv and the Atrox I've found the Borg Shield and the MACO/Klingon Honor Guard shields to be useful.

But only when using at least 2 other peices of the Borg Set of course.