Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > PvP Gameplay
Login

Lt. Commander
# 11
05-29-2012, 07:42 AM
And if that's true, that's just sad. Not terribly surprising given any number of their other terrible decisions, but sad.
Lt. Commander
# 12
05-29-2012, 08:28 AM
I think we're at the point where speculating on the basis of what Cryptic has not said is A) ineffective, and B) unintentionally misleading.

In fact, I have no information that Gozer has said anything specific about what ideas he's kicking around. He is actively soliciting ideas from the community at present.

So... I'm not opposed to Monster Play as an additional option.

I'm not opposed to Preset Scenarios as an additional option.

I think I agree that ripping out "freestyle" PvP altogether is a bad idea and that something needs to be done to revitalize that. Somehow. So lets keep throwing out ideas.

I think that Objective/Scenario-based PvP, Tournament-based PvP, and Fleet vs. Fleet PvP is what STO needs. Player-Authored PvP scenarios would revolutionize the whole genre if they can pull that off.

This is Star Trek, darn it. We don't just throw ships and away teams at each other. We have battles for reasons. Leave the Deathmatch arenas in DOOM and its' clones where they belong.
Lt. Commander
# 13
05-29-2012, 10:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegeek View Post
I think we're at the point where speculating on the basis of what Cryptic has not said is A) ineffective, and B) unintentionally misleading.

In fact, I have no information that Gozer has said anything specific about what ideas he's kicking around. He is actively soliciting ideas from the community at present.

I think I agree that ripping out "freestyle" PvP altogether is a bad idea and that something needs to be done to revitalize that. Somehow. So lets keep throwing out ideas.

I think that Objective/Scenario-based PvP, Tournament-based PvP, and Fleet vs. Fleet PvP is what STO needs. Player-Authored PvP scenarios would revolutionize the whole genre if they can pull that off.

This is Star Trek, darn it. We don't just throw ships and away teams at each other. We have battles for reasons. Leave the Deathmatch arenas in DOOM and its' clones where they belong.
I have to agree with everything in this post. I certainly hope that whatever they do to PvP, it ADDS to PvP, rather than eliminating options and replacing them with something else.
Lt. Commander
# 14
05-30-2012, 03:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Felderburg View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegeek

I have to agree with everything in this post. I certainly hope that whatever they do to PvP, it ADDS to PvP, rather than eliminating options and replacing them with something else.
This is something that I, too, completely agree with. note- ADDITIONAL OPTION, NOT REPLACMENT OF OLD SYSTEM
Lt. Commander
# 15
05-30-2012, 04:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegeek View Post

< standing ovation> And I was not a "true fan" of Star trek until I starting playing STO and met those fans who have found enjoyment in it.
Lt. Commander
# 16
05-30-2012, 06:12 PM
There is surprisingly little which needs to be done to fix PvP. In fact, the surprise isn't in what needs to be done, but in what has needed to be done for so long and gone undone.

1) Bug fix and balance issues are clearly outlined in many threads on these topics. If Gozer and the System Design team sat down for one hour with reps of the top PvP fleets, they could make a list and probably have the fixes on Tribble in a week.

2) Once balance is seriously addressed, create a matching program to put the elites in matches with other elites and noobs in matches with other noobs. This would round out the learning curve and eliminate most of the three second kills that discourage so many from playing PvP.

3) Make the new information available in a consistent and accurate format for new and old players alike so a player can see that he was hit with a particular power, look it up, discover what counters it, and adapt his munchkin PvE ship to PvP play.

Currently bug fixes often break existing powers or 'fix' issues which weren't broken, matchmaking is the first ten guys to queue, and advertisement for PvP is, "Stay the hell away from that, those guys kill you fast!" Given this situation, is is any wonder that we now need a PvP Developer to come in and 'fix' things?

I use the swingset analogy: They built a swingset and promised to install the swings later, but never did. Now they want to justify taking away the swingset because few players use it. Hunh?

We don't need fancy stuff, just a fix to what is probably the best PvP system out there, (potentially.) Forcing the Systems team to play PvP for a week would resolve almost all of these issues. But I'm malicious: I'd make them play Science captains in Science ships.
Lt. Commander
# 17
06-01-2012, 10:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by brian334
3) Make the new information available in a consistent and accurate format for new and old players alike so a player can see that he was hit with a particular power, look it up, discover what counters it, and adapt his munchkin PvE ship to PvP play.
This would be a HUGE help. Either a better combat log, or a better way to parse through it.
Lt. Commander
# 18
06-09-2012, 08:58 PM
[quote=Roach;4221917]
Quote:

I quit PvPing all together and lose all hope for Cryptic as a game developer, I stop buying Cryptic products based on this lack of hope and I tell my friends the reason why I no longer play. They tell others, word spreads and soon things take a down turn all becuase of Monster Play concepts that are not fun for the individual or the game as a whole.
I curse the noob/newb/noobie that started the whole contorted affair by wishing to be a Kirk/Chang in PvP but not wanting to do the work involved to get good at PvP.
I remember the lackluster difficulty of STO PvE and its unchallenging demeanor and still continue to not buy into thier products becuase of its effects on the PvP community.
I become saddened and scrape the slightly radioactive numbers off 50,000 1945 GE alarm clocks to acquire what I hope is fissionable material for a device of questionable use. Travel to Los Gatos. Use Device.
Become even more saddened as the glowing numbers on the 1945 GE alarm clocks lack the needed radioactivity to detonate properly. Device is found by Homeland security and I go back to jail.
Spend decades in solitary bemaoning the poor state of PvP in STO, the first MMO game where I actually enjoyed PvP. Work on prison tats.

I think Monster Play PvP a bad idea that leads to a bad ending for all involved and takes away from the possibilities that STO could achieve with PvP.
ditto.

Qapla'!