Lt. Commander
# 11
06-10-2012, 02:27 PM
You know, Apparatus, I can't wait until you DO publish your first mission! You are so determined to make one, I will play it just because of your passion to partake in the Foundry!
Lt. Commander
# 12
06-10-2012, 02:28 PM
I like the idea and took part in the first one, but i dont think i will personally do anymore. I dont really like being told what to do or what rules I should follow or be on someone else time frame. also the review stage is a pain as you really have to review everyone's in a short space of time to be fair.

i commend anyone who enters and continues to make them but it does take a little of the fun out of the foundry for me personally.
Lt. Commander
# 13
06-10-2012, 02:32 PM
Well, in some ways it almost feels like a test to see who can follow direction and create content "as directed" by a boss (haha good little recruiting test for content makers if you ask me, Cryptic!).

I have no problem with them picking a theme, I think the contests can be fun! But here is a thought--make the reward more worthwhile? How about a "guarantee" it will make a weekly spotlight? THAT would make it worthwhile to me, personally!
Lt. Commander
# 14
06-10-2012, 04:50 PM
For me, I know that I cannot "develop" a good mission within the timeframe required by any of these contests. It takes me a long time, at least 2 months, to transform an initial idea into a mission with a coherent and interesting storyline, good dialog and interesting custom maps.
Lt. Commander
# 15
06-10-2012, 05:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by chooch99 View Post
You know, Apparatus, I can't wait until you DO publish your first mission! You are so determined to make one, I will play it just because of your passion to partake in the Foundry!
I just wanted to do some silly little quick ones. The recent "How real do your boffs feel" threads gave me some ideas.

What feedback I;ve gotten in passing when I asked questions though make me think it;s not possible to do what I want to do but still wanted to try.
Lt. Commander
# 16
06-10-2012, 05:36 PM
Chooch, and others, thank you for the feedback in this thread; please keep it coming. This is actually something I think about often, and it's a valid concern.

In regards to my Foundry challenges, when I was originally envisioning it, I knew that "we'd learn as we go" and need to adapt to feedback received. Originally, the time allotted to create the mission was only 3 weeks. Based on feedback received, this was extended to 4 weeks for the second and third challenge. Also, the "background story" to go off when making the mission went from a couple paragraphs to a couple sentences -- this was also based off feedback received and the desire to not have too much of a restriction. The change allowed authors to tell the story they wanted to, but with an underlying theme rather than a set plot.

As the challenges continue on, I have no doubt that we'll need to continue adjusting. For example, looking at some of the "close calls" some of you have spoke about, I am in agreement that the "building" time needs to be reevaluated. For the next challenge, I'm going to increase the time to 6 weeks. It's not as long as the 2.5 months suggested, but hopefully it will relieve some of the "rush" those who participate are feeling. If we need to extend it longer for the one after that, I am certainly open to it.

As you can imagine, most authors simply do not have the time to participate in every challenge out there. With SUGC, PodcastUGC, GoS and others also hosting contests, it is certainly understandable. One thing that's really great is that each of these typically have different "themes", so you can find one you find interesting and one that you would like to participate in.

It seems that with every challenge, here and abroad, new author names are popping up. I think this is the best part of it all. Whether you take first place or not, it's all about the spirit of the Foundry, and putting your story, vision, and creation out there for the community to see. With every new mission you make, you also gain experience and technique that will help you when you sit down to make your next mission (whether it is for a contest or just to tell a story you've been story-boarding for years).

Also, Greedo hit the nail on the head in regards to why the length of the mission is requested to be 30 minutes long, but no longer that 45 minutes.

Chooch's idea about having the first place missions become a Spotlighted mission is a great idea, and I am going to add that to the "prize" list*. We did have Maziken's mission, Foundry Challenge #1's winning mission, make the spotlight, and I will get both winners from Foundry Challenge #2 in the Spotlight soon. *Missions do have to fall within EULA guidelines, as with any Foundry mission, and not break any rules (not that any have done that, but just saying :p)

Quote:
Originally Posted by theapparatus View Post
Would love to actually see my ticket about the issue but even though Branflakes saying that the imgame ticket system works fine, I can't see that ticket or any of them.
If you submitted a bug report ticket, they go straight to QA, so you don't see those in-game -- they also don't get personalized responses, so that's why you don't see them once you submit Make sure to submit a GM ticket when you are needing a response/ GM assistance on something, like the issue you've described The GM team will look into those and respond/ ask additional questions as necessary.

Cheers, and thank you again for all of your feedback! It means a lot.

Brandon =/\=
Lt. Commander
# 17
06-10-2012, 05:48 PM
Awesome! And to me? That makes it worthwhile to invest time in a contest! It becomes braggin rights, and that DOES count for something in my humble opinion
Lt. Commander
# 18
06-10-2012, 05:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PWE_BranFlakes
If you submitted a bug report ticket, they go straight to QA, so you don't see those in-game -- they also don't get personalized responses, so that's why you don't see them once you submit Make sure to submit a GM ticket when you are needing a response/ GM assistance on something, like the issue you've described The GM team will look into those and respond/ ask additional questions as necessary.
Thank you confirming that your in game ticket system is broken. When someone takes the time to report an issue, at the very least give them an autoresponse or at least list the ticket so that they can see that it's actually been submitted. For some of us, manners actually mean something.

The broken foundry issue has been reported by others. It's a bug, not a play issue. And considering I've been trying to get your GMs/Moderators to deal with another player with a 700ish x 200ish image sig file here in the forums for well over 2 weeks and 5 reports now, I don;t think submitting a GM ticket isn;t going to get any where either.
Lt. Commander
# 19
06-10-2012, 05:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by theapparatus View Post
Thank you confirming that your in game ticket system is broken. When someone takes the time to report an issue, at the very least give them an autoresponse or at least list the ticket so that they can see that it's actually been submitted. For some of us, manners actually mean something.

The broken foundry issue has been reported by others. It's a bug, not a play issue. And considering I've been trying to get your GMs/Moderators to deal with another player with a 700ish x 200ish image sig file here in the forums for well over 2 weeks and 5 reports now, I don;t think submitting a GM ticket isn;t going to get any where either.
BF has been responding to you many times. You're not returning to the thread to clarify your issue, if I'm not mistaken.
Lt. Commander
# 20
06-10-2012, 08:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirkfat View Post
BF has been responding to you many times. You're not returning to the thread to clarify your issue, if I'm not mistaken.
Then I guess he should have returned my messages as I've tried contacting him a couple of times now....

Considering how many times people have come to the forums complaining about gm tickets being ignored or autoclosed, folks complaining about how reports here in the forums are being ignored (Nice sig by the way Kirkfat. You may want to check it's size. No disrespect intended but you;re one of the players I;ve reported and it seems to have gone nowhere. ) and all of the threads from folks wondering where their tickets are going, I really don't think that it's a comprehension problem on their part.

edit: I also don't respond to rudeness. A couple of his responses were out of line. Those reports were ignored. I would really like to talk to his boss actually but I know it won't go anywhere.

And before you pass me off as just a crank, please kindly go back through my posts here and see how many I;ve made trying to help folks. All all the time I've spent in ESD trying to help with questions. Or at the first night of mining. (God, that was a pain. Still can;t believe they didn;t do anything in the way of a tutorial.)

reedit: It also doesn;t help when they ignored the major problem of colored text fonts here in the forums. Every other forums I help out in has an option to change back to the default theme and/or remove color. Some of us don;t have 20/20 vision. That complaint fell on deaf ears. Someone on staff is a bigot as far as I;m concerned.